Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Archiving the older stuff, now that the new u18 season has started up!

Tom Wallis, son of Dean, is one there’s decent wraps on. 182cm, 70kg midfielder.  Played in the u15 champs, was selected in the u16 Calder squad . Described as “Great kick off either foot, fast and elusive.”  was selected for Vic Metro u16s in 2013 but missed the carnival with glandular fever.

Played as an underager for Calder in the TAC Cup in 2014, averaged approx 11 touches while being in and out of the team.  Selected to the Cannons leadership group in 2015 andwas named in the 50-man VM champs squad.

TAC Rnd 1 vs Sandringham - 22 (or possibly 23, depending on who you listen to!) touches at 77% effective, 5 marks, 3 clearances, 1 goal. From Bomber Bill, who calls games for the awesome TAC Cup radio broadcast:

[quote]From a Bombers perspective Tom Wallis son of Deano was best on in the first half. Looks and plays nothing like his father. Kicks on his left. Not much of him. But found the ball. Quieter in the second half. [/quote]

TAC Rnd 2 vs Northern - 16 touches at 75% effective, 3 marks,1 tackle.

TAC Rnd 3 vs Eastern - 21 touches at 33% effective, 2 marks, 8 tackles in the wet against what looks to be one of the stronger and bigger-bodied midfield units in the TAC Cup this year. I was really hoping to get to this game given it seemed an interesting matchup with a couple of f/s blokes playing and was close to home, but i was forced to lie on a beach in the tropics having the occasional snorkel and/or cold beer instead. Life's tough, hey?

TAC Rnd 5 vs North Ballarat - 5 touches at 80% effective, 1 mark, 3 tackles. I didn't see the game, but that stat line screams 'got injured early' to me. Still, he's been named this week, so if it was an injury, it can't have been too serious.

TAC Rnd 6 vs Murray - 10 touches at 40% effective, 2 marks, 4 tackles, 3 frees against

TAC Rnd 7 vs Geelong - 15 touches at 80% effective, 2 marks, 4 tackles

TAC Rnd 8 vs Bendigo - 11 touches at 63% effective, 2 marks, 2 tackles, kicked 1 behind, and in a sign that he is obviously destined to play for Essendon, racked up 5 frees against.

TAC Rnd 9 vs Gippsland - 18 touches at 55% effective, 3 marks, 3 tackles, kicked 0.1. Both sides were depleted due to champs, so he may have been given more time in the middle than usual.

TAC Rnd 10 vs Queensland - 18 touches at 61% effective, 8 tackles, 3 frees for and 3 frees against, named in the best.

TAC Rnd 11 vs Sandringham - 21 touches at 62% effective, 1 tackle, 3 frees against, named in the best.

TAC Rnd 12 vs Dandenong - 19 touches at 42% effective, 3 tackles, 3 marks, 2 frees against, 1 goal, named in the best.

TAC Rnd 13 vs Queensland - 16 touches at 31% effective, 2 tackles, 1 mark, named in the best in terrible conditions against a Jets side that scored 2 points for the game.

TAC Rnd 14 vs Oakleigh - 20 touches at 50% effective (going at 25% by foot, for those keeping track at home...), 4 tackles, 2 marks, kicked 0.1, and an eye-watering 4 frees against.

VFL rnd 16 vs Footscray - first game as a 23rd man for EFC VFL. 9 touches at 55% effective, 1 tackle

VFL rnd 17 vs Werribee - still in the VFL 8 touches at 50% effective, 3 marks, 1 tackle, kicked 1.1, the goal a helicopter from 50.

TAC rnd 16 vs Murray - 23 touches at 74% effective, 5 marks, 5 tackles, kicked 0.1, named in the best.

TAC rnd 17 vs North Ballarat - 29 touches at 62% effective, 5 marks, 5 tackles, named in the best

TAC elim final vs Eastern - 26 touches at 69% effective, 4 marks, 3 tackles, named in the best. We have the good fortune to have a report on this game, from a particularly wise, personable and devilishly handsome blitzer...

"

As for best on ground - yeah maybe. There certainly weren’t many competitors for the title as far as Calder went, though there were a bunch of Ranges boys who played better. Cannons midfield got absolutely monstered for the first 3/4, they went into the last quarter 11 goals down. But they kicked I think 6 to one in the last quarter and our boy was one of the main reasons. Got some really aggressive run and carry happening, had a load of touches (when his stats come out it’s probably worth remembering that probably 2/3 of them were in the last quarter when the game was lost) and wasn’t afraid to boot it deep going into the fwd 50. Clean hands too, which made him a rarity among the Cannons mids. God they were fumbly. Not sure there’s going to be too many Cannons draftees this year, as a club they’ve really fallen to bits since changing coaches circa 2010.

In the first 3/4 he just couldn’t get into the game at all. Was playing as an outside runner in a side that had no real contested ball winners and got butchered in the stoppages. Continually found himself on the other side of the field, making an option where the ball wasn’t. Spent a lot of time on the bench before he went into the middle in the last and went bang… Was noticeable how Calder’s last-quarter charge ground to a halt when he went off for a breather.

He’s got something to work with imho, but he’s nobody’s idea of a sure thing. I liked his cleanness and willingness to take the game on, I didn’t like his half-pace jogging around off the ball in the first three quarters when his team needed him to be imposing himself on the game as best he could. Also, he’s a weed and he compensates for lack of strength by tackling crudely, needs to bulk up and clean up his technique cos he gave away needless free kicks.

Not sure on his cardio fitness. He spent much more time off the field than I’d like to see in a first rotation midfielder, and he looked pretty cooked at times. Also was the recipient of one of the all-time great fend-offs by Ryan Clarke, who is the same height but built like a brick shithouse, and who was part of the big, strong Eastern midfield that crushed the skinny calder boys around the contest and ended up kicking 4."

Harvey Daniher, other son of Chris, eligible 2015, 190cm, 85kg defender/utility  although having stopped growing at an awkward 190cm (undersized for an AFL kpp), according to the most recent Hird Academy newsletter he is currently reinventing himself as a midfielder

, though this is contradicted by a Blitzer who actualy know a bit about Abers, in a post I can’t find to link to right now Also eligible for GWS as a zone selection.

According to the Herald Sun (though don’t believe what they say about the f/s bidding rule, they’re idiots…)

JUST when you thought Essendon had benefited enough from the Daniher bloodline, another potential father-son prospect has come along.  After pouncing last year on Joe Daniher, a teen some are calling the most talented TAC Cup player to come through the system, his cousin, Harvey Daniher, is developing into a handy key backman.  But Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy, who coached Harvey's father, Chris, is also taking a close look at the 16-year-old.  Daniher, from Ungarie in country NSW, is zoned to the Giants.
It means he splits his time playing for the Giants academy under-16s and the Bombers' James Hird father-son scholarship program at Windy Hill in school holidays.
At the moment, there are no guarantees Daniher will develop into AFL prospect when he becomes eligible for the 2015 national draft.  If he does, the club that is prepared to part with the highest draft pick in the normal father-son bidding process will nab him.Giants academy manager Lachie Buzzard said Daniher was one of many exciting young NSW prospects.  "He's pretty much like his dad. He's high 180cm and a key backman who plays that defensive post pretty well," Buzzard said.
"He's certainly raw at this stage but he reads the game really well.
"He kicks it a mile. He's certainly a confident kick -- his foot skills are very good for a big fella.'' 

Had injury problems for the first half of last year, but overcame them to play a few EDFL games and 3 games for Calder as an underager. Listed for Calder again this year. Didn't play round 1 and not selected for round 2, not sure whether this is because of injury, some wanky NSW academy thing, or whether he just wasn't picked. Named in the NSW squad for the champs but didn't play any games. When not selected for TAC, plays for Aberfeldie u18s in the EDFL. 17 games for 5 goals and four times in the best.

TAC Rnd 3 vs Eastern - 5) touches at 40% effective, 1 tackle.

TAC Rnd 15 vs Bendigo: 8 touches at 62% effective, 2 marks.

Jett Bewick, son of Darren, 17-ish yo, midfielder. Eligible 2015. He had a very injury-interrupted 2014 season with back stress fractures and I believe some sort of leg injury as well, and only played a couple of games. Not selected for the 2015 cannons squad, so I presume will go around for Airport West again (though for the sake of his development and morale, i hope they don't suck as much as they did last year!) So far, 7 games in the u18s, 1 goal, 5 times in the bests, plus 2 games in the seniors. Hasn't played since late June, after breaking a collarbone the week after coming back from a concussion. This bloke just can't buy a break....

Matthew Neagle 2015

After all sorts of confusion (on my part at least) about his status re the Bushrangers, he finally made his TAC debut as an underager in late July. Missed out on the NSW u18 state squad. Also I believe is in some sort of ongoing NSW academy program (GWS academy maybe?) and will probably be zoned to NSW for champs purposes just like Jydon was. Playing for Wodonga Raiders seniors in the Ovens Murray league in 2015 - 17 games for 4 goals, twice in the best so far.

TAC rnd 14 vs Gippsland: 5 touches at 40% effective, 3 tackles.

TAC rnd 15 vs Western: 4 touches at 75% effective, 3 marks, 5 tackles.

Top post updated for 2016! Included the rather unexciting first round TAC stats for Matthew Neagle.

Still got a bit of hunting to do to track down the others - lots of local footy hasn’t started yet, and none of the next batch seem to be dominating particularly. Jaxon Neagle’s the one I’ve heard the best things about but didn’t make the Bushrangers u16 team and seems to have dropped off the radar a little. Mason Fletcher didn’t make the Cannons u16 squad, and I’ve found no trace of the other two at all. The year after that looks a little more promising at this very early stage, Kurtis Barnard is in the Cannons u15 development squad, and Tom Hird has a decent record too (as far as I can tell given his junior club’s spotty record keeping). Though frankly the past couple of years might have convinced young Tom to go take up MMA or join the SAS or Foreign Legion or something similarly more kind and gentle than football has been to his old man recently…

Mason Fletcher did make the Calder Cannons U16 squad…

Mason Fletcher did make the Calder Cannons U16 squad...

Yeah I saw that too. Must have looked at the wrong team list. Will update soon.

Harvey Daniher is now running around for GWS’s NEAFL side. Debuted last week, only managed 9p but has retained his spot in the back pocket for this round.

Read the opening post and for completeness sake, whilst Clothier did sign with Coburg for the 2015 season, he once again reneged on the contract over pre-season to play locally…I dare say he is now persona non grata (along with Anthony Prestia - Dion’s younger brother) with VFL teams having done the same thing 2 years running - shockingly there was no announcement of either signing with a VFL club before the start of this pre-season.

Im told Vander Haar played well for Casey in their development team a couple of weeks ago, why wouldn’t we have him playing/training with us? I assume we’re keeping tabs on him!!

Im told Vander Haar played well for Casey in their development team a couple of weeks ago, why wouldn't we have him playing/training with us? I assume we're keeping tabs on him!!

Pretty sure you answered your own question here.

Top post updated with recent results and Dunlop’s info. Not as interesting doing this when our blokes aren’t doing much! Added Mason Fletcher and Jaxon Neagle to the ‘possible future’ section. EDFL u16s start this weekend so itI’ll be easier to track down the 2018 and later blokes after that.

Matthew Neagle has been dropped from TAC back to the O&M league. Big brother Jydon has gotten himself in good shape, walked out of EFC VFL, gone back to Wodonga and has 13 goals and 2 BoGs from 2 games there.

Little tackers 14 or below, included for completeness: : Tex Wanganeen (son of Gavin, eligible for Port but is doing EFC fundraising videos, so hopefully he'd choose to come here if it comes to brass tacks)

Gav doing the media rounds this week with the dream time guernsey. On SEN Tim asked Gavin about Tex and he non-committally said it’ll be interesting to see what happens there. On FiveAA radio later in the day he said unequivocally Tex would chose Power. Understand that he might give different answers on Melbourne and Adelaide radio. Thought he could have let it go through to the keeper though and he didn’t.

SEN interview
FiveAA interview

Little tackers 14 or below, included for completeness: : Tex Wanganeen (son of Gavin, eligible for Port but is doing EFC fundraising videos, so hopefully he'd choose to come here if it comes to brass tacks)

Gav doing the media rounds this week with the dream time guernsey. On SEN Tim asked Gavin about Tex and he non-committally said it’ll be interesting to see what happens there. On FiveAA radio later in the day he said unequivocally Tex would chose Power. Understand that he might give different answers on Melbourne and Adelaide radio. Thought he could have let it go through to the keeper though and he didn’t.

SEN interview
FiveAA interview

Just came here to say the same thing. Guess he didnt know EFC would include the Adelaide interview in their podcast fees.

Nice to hear him back up Jobe re: his Brownlow in the 5AA interview though!

Rats rats rats.

Holy ■■■■

Finally, a chance to get revenge on Port for breaking our hearts by poaching Wanganeen.

SEN interview
FiveAA interview

Just came here to say the same thing. Guess he didnt know EFC would include the Adelaide interview in their podcast fees.

Yep Shattering to hear Tex is a port supporter.
Hopefully Port are a basketcase when he is getting drafted and he chooses Essendon.

SEN interview
FiveAA interview

Yep Shattering to hear Tex is a port supporter.
Hopefully Port are a basketcase when he is getting drafted and he chooses Essendon.

Not surprising. Gavin was always a Port player, only reason he came to us was because port didn’t have an AFL side. Once they did he went back there.

Updated. Not much going on. Matthew Neagle still out of the Bushrangers side. Some of the u16 teams starting to get sorted out, so I’ll start to get some more reliable info on how the 2018 crop pretty soon, though I probably won’t go into too much detail for kids that young. Bit unfair on them.

Quoted Post

No doubt that Wallis is Deano's son, he's mates with Barnsey's son as well. Apple doesn't fall far from either tree!
That's funny.
JHA - Acceleration Group Player Age Father Tom Wallis 18 Dean Wallis Jett Bewick 18 Darren Bewick Harvey Daniher 17 Chris Daniher Matthew Neagle 17 Merv Neagle

JHA - Next Generation
Player Age Father
Jaxon Neagle 15 Merv Neagle
Mason Fletcher 15 Dustin Fletcher
Rick O’Donnell 14 Gary O’Donnell
Darcy Denham 14 Sean Denham
Kurtis Barnard 14 Paul Barnard
Tom Hird 14 James Hird
Max Fletcher. 14 Dustin Fletcher
Josh Misiti 12 Joe Misiti
Nyawi Moore 12 Nathan Lovett-Murray
Alex Hird 12 James Hird