Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

No they haven’t. He’s signed with West Torrens in the SANFL.

1 Like

Lol. My wife might be right about my listening

6 Likes

On this I’m thinking more (as an example)…

Saints (theoretically) want pick 4, 22 and 41 for their pick 9, a future first and 38.

EFC say no we think we want to keep 22 for other reasons (another pick trade perhaps) so let’s do the rest of that deal but leave our 22 and your 38 out of it (4+41 for 9+F1)

If I was the Saints I would interview Munkara and maybe suggest out loud we might be interested in taking him at 38. It would be the smart play from them.

My comment on holding clubs accountable was in relation to the willingness to bid on a player at a pick that the opposition club believes they are worth, regardless of the wishes of the club that the NGA player is aligned too.

Penalise clubs for bidding?
So if a F/S is ranked p1 (like this year), if Brisbane had kept 15, North Bid, Brisbane match, North lose pick 1?

That can’t be what you’re saying.

3 Likes

I simply don’t understand why people want to trade all our picks. Is it just so we’re seen to be doing something…ANYTHING?

I’m just struggling to understand the benefits. If we trade say with St Kilda in the hope of picking Phillipou at 9, sure as eggs are eggs, someone will draft him at 5-8.

If we trade out pick 22 in the hope we don’t lose it for ADJ, then ADJ will get selected at 25 and we’ve thrown away a pick we can use on a good player.

And lastly, I want to see signs that Dodoro isn’t having much influence and he’s out the door on 1 December.

4 Likes

History tells us that very few father son/NGA happen earlier than expected purely as clubs tend to have done less work on them and the candidate themselves is often not trying to present themselves in their best light to other clubs where their preferred destination is known.

Darcy going before Daicos was a little of a surprise. but GWS doing pies a favour after lucking out with pick 2

Then Essendon will say “lmao, alright. If you want to pay overs to gamble on him then be our guest”.

Munkara has the potential to be elite. The. Potential. As it stands he’s an NGA player that’s obsessed with essendon and missed a majority of his season due to impacting menatl health and personal life circumstances. Contexts that multiple clubs are noted to be concerned for. If this was any other player there would be barely thought for him. The convo would be if he gets drafted at all, not if he’ll be picked up in the second round lol.

Yes, the odd article has placed him before 40 (like ESPNs complete nonsense) but the general consensus is that he’s a late selection at best and a potential to not be picked at all; naturally Blitz immediately wants to spend pick 22 on him lol

4 Likes

I agree, and to clarify my scenario isnt what I think we should be bidding for Munkara, other than to say some clubs may rate him higher than we do.

Of course that is what we should say to such a scenario, but would we? I’m not so sure. Clubs may know we want to get rid off 22 in case it gets eaten by a Davey bid, they also would know we want Munkara (we have said it publically). Definitely potential for us to be wedged a bit.

Saints will not be bidding on Munkara end of story

Other way around, will nearly certainly come in this year.

Brisbane have 4-5 picks before then, they’ll all go to make up pick 1 and whenever the Fletcher kid goes.

Never said they would

Never said you did

Never

This munkara talk needs to find it’s way out of the Davey/Bewick thread.

5 Likes

Alwyn Davey Sr says his talented twin sons have done the family proud after moving to Melbourne for school

A former Essendon livewire and Palmerston product has lifted the lid on the love, and competitiveness, between his twin sons ahead of the AFL national draft.

Ben Cameron and Nathaniel Chambers

3 min read

November 22, 2022 - 5:19PM

0 comments

PREMIUM
02:12:56
Replay: NTFL Round 8 - Palmerston v St Mary’s
Watch the replay of the NTFL Round 8 - Palmerston v St Mary’s

Former Essendon livewire and Palmerston product Alwyn Davey Sr has lifted the lid on the special bond between his twin sons on the eve of the national draft, set to turn the pair into red and black brothers in arms.

With the draft beginning on November 28, Alwyn Jr and Jayden have already nominated the Bombers under the father-son rule.

The 18-year-olds now face an anxious wait over coming days to see how and when Essendon will select them.

It comes a tick over three years after both made their Men’s Premier League debut for Palmerston against St Mary’s, with numbers one and two on their backs.

This week, their proud father has shed some light on the brotherly love, and competitiveness, between the two talented teens, who returned to Darwin over the past fortnight.

Alwyn Davey and his twin sons Alwyn Jr (right) and Jayden at Cazalys Oval. Picture: Glenn Campbell.

Alwyn Davey and his twin sons Alwyn Jr (right) and Jayden at Cazalys Oval. Picture: Glenn Campbell.

Recovering from an ACL tear back in March during a game of touch rugby (“rehab is going great”), Jayden was one of hundreds training with Gary Ablett Jr at Cazalys Arena last Thursday night, while Alwyn Jr impressed with both the Oakleigh Chargers and Vic Metro in 2022.

The pair, who packed their bags and moved to Melbourne to attend Xavier College four years ago, became even closer during the early days down south, acutely feeling the separation from family, Davey Sr told the NT News.

“They did struggle a bit with homesickness. The first year was always going to be hard for them,” he said.

“But they always had each other to look after each other.”

Early on, Davey Sr was honest with his boys, saying it was always going to be hard at the start, moving from the Top End to an often frigid Melbourne, but they had to stick to the task.

And if they pursued their education as strong as their footy dreams, he promised them there would be a “bigger prize in the end”.

“They knuckled down a bit and did all the hard yards,” he said.

“Their dream was always to play AFL.

“We’re super proud of how far the boys have come in the last four years.”

Davey Sr said he began to notice a gradual change though as time went on, as the boys formed friendships and became slowly accustomed to the Melbourne way of life.

The twins have been competitive from a very early age, their father says. Picture: Glenn Campbell

The twins have been competitive from a very early age, their father says. Picture: Glenn Campbell

Suddenly, when the brothers did return to Darwin, they became bored after just a few weeks.

“They always say they want to go back to Melbourne, it’s boring in Darwin,” he said with a laugh.

“They’ve adjusted really well into the Melbourne lifestyle. It’s a great achievement.”

The former 100-game AFL player, known for his explosive turn of pace and electric six-pointers, said the closeness between the two was palpable.

“After one or two days they don’t see each other, they go up and hug each other and say: ‘I miss you’,” he said.

“They’ve got a really, really close bond, those two.

“We’re just super excited about what the future holds.”

While the love is strong between the duo, Davey Sr, who slotted 120 goals at Windy Hill, said they have always been competitive, ever since they fought over a footy as three-year-olds.

“Once one marks the ball the other gets upset, (saying) ‘do one more, do one more’,” Davey Sr said.

Davey Sr became famous for his blistering runs with ball in hand. Picture: File.

Davey Sr became famous for his blistering runs with ball in hand. Picture: File.

However, both would go on to develop differing attributes despite their inherent similarities and closeness.

Davey Sr said Jayden is more your flashy forward like his father, who loves to celebrate a goal and apply defensive pressure.

“He loves the glory,” he said with a laugh.

“He kicks the goals and celebrates them well.”

Alwyn Jr, however, is more of a half forward and midfielder type, with impressive decision making and disposal skills, who made his debut with Essendon’s VFL team in August against Werribee.

“It was a really special moment for me and the family,” he said.

“To see him running around with the Essendon colours (was great).”

While both always had the necessary talent and speed, Davey Sr said both have improved their endurance during the past four years in Melbourne.

With the boys growing up, in and around the Essendon change rooms, during their father’s career, and spending time at the James Hird Academy, they were almost destined for a career in red and black.

More Coverage

Davey twins want to become Bombers30+ PHOTOS: Gary Ablett Jr trains with

27 Likes

I think we are going to witness something special with these two

5 Likes

I’m confused. Isn’t that the grandfather @Henry_s_Angry_Pills ?

1 Like

WHat??? Has the AwFL stripped him of his games?

2 Likes

So excited, love everything about these 2 and can’t wait to see them in action!

3 Likes