Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Ken went ok as well

1 Like

Haha. I knew I should have been more specific

Essendon father-son hopes Mason Fletcher and Josh Misiti feature in Calder Cannons’ win over Western Jets

Ben Higgins , Moreland Leader

July 2, 2019 7:00am

Calder Cannons’ 22-point win over Western Jets on Saturday was family affair.

As part of Futures Round, the Cannons played 13 bottom-age players in the 6.7 (43) to 2.9 (21) win at Highgate Reserve.

Josh Misiti, son of Essendon great Joe, made his NAB League debut as did Flynn Gentile (17 disposals), brother of top-age draft hope Ned.

Lachlan Gollant (six marks) and Sam Paea also made their under-18 debuts.

Mason Fletcher, son of another Bombers legend, Dustin, booted two goals in a match-winning cameo after moving forward after half-time.

View image on Twitter

View image on Twitter

Calder Cannons FC@CalderCannonsFC

Ned + Flynn = Gentile x2

The first set of Cannons brothers in the same side since 2017 🔷🔷

6:58 PM - Jun 30, 2019

See Calder Cannons FC’s other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Embedded video

Calder Cannons FC@CalderCannonsFC

Winners against the arch rival 💪🏻

4:30 PM - Jun 30, 2019

See Calder Cannons FC’s other Tweets

Twitter Ads info and privacy

With Ross Smith on Vic Metro duties, Brett Gourley took over the magnets and after a scrappy first half was pleased with his team’s performance.

“A lot better conditions than Saturday, we were very fortunate, but still a pretty scrappy game of football,” he said.

“Only one goal scored in the first half — there were a lot of stoppages, very defensive game of footy — but it opened up in the second half.

“We kicked five goals straight in the second half and the boys worked well together.

REPORT: DRAGONS MAKE MASS CHANGES FOR FUTURES

LEADER: GET YOUR NAB LEAGUE FOOTY NEWS HERE

WEATHER: LOCAL FOOTY BRAVES WILD CONDITIONS

“Having 13 bottom-agers playing this week with Futures Round, it’s the first time a lot of those guys have played together.”

Neither team kicked a goal in the first quarter as the Cannons broke the deadlock in the second term to lead 1.7 (13) to 0.4 (4) at half-time.

However, Calder broke the shackles in the second half while restricting the Jets to just two goals.

Sam Ramsay was best on ground with 31 disposals and eight tackles while Curtis Brown, Harry Minton-Connell and Ned Gentile all collected more than 20 touches. Giacomo Thomas impressed off half-back.

Sam Ramsay in action for Calder Cannons. Picture: Martin Keep

Curtis Brown in action for Calder Cannons.

Gourley said promising midfielder Ramsay had responded well to missing out on the Vic Metro squad.

“We needed a bit of leg speed through the midfield and Sam was the perfect one to move in there,” he said.

“I said to him a little while ago ‘my job’s to make him the best player outside Metro’ and he’s been outstanding the last few weeks.”

The Cannons face a stiff test against Dandenong Stingrays this weekend but should be bolstered by the return of captain Brodie Newman from Metro duties.

Fellow Metro representatives Daniel Mott and Harry Jones are expected to miss the clash

2 Likes

There’s a serious lack of Fletcher and Misiti in the body of that article to justify the title.

Colour me surprised

6 Likes

Isn’t Josh Misiti a blazing ranga?

Yep, a big hulking blazing ranga

josh

So the prophecy was true…

28 Likes

I know nothing about young Mason but I have serious doubts

Then why post if you nothing about him.

So I’m guessing you are in the same boat?

I like the sound of Fletcher swinging forward. Keep him down there

1 Like

Misiti 9 touches
Fletch jnr 2 gls

1 Like

I watched the game, I have some concerns with young Misiti but plenty to like about Fletch jnr although again he looks a very long term prospect.

2 Likes

When you say he’s a very long term prospect I assume you just mean he’ll play AFL for as long as his dad did

8 Likes

Even better: “long term” by the standards of the Fletcher family could mean he plays 500 games!

2 Likes

You’d think he’d get a run as the 23rd man in the All-Conquering VFL team at some point in the remainder of the season.

3 Likes

Is he going well enough for that?

In all seriousness, is there still an expectation that Mason could make it as an AFL player? He’s an overager now isn’t he?

is there more hope for Max?

1 Like

Was Huggard?

haha…my initial thought was “who?”. Then I checked who played on the weekend.
Based on that…I would say no he wasn’t