Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Thanks for the update. Sounds like a rookie pick if we’re interested. Shame given the wraps on him 2-3 years ago.

Top post updated. Tom Wallis is done for the year after Calder lost their GF (unless he gets another go as the VFL 23rd man of course), but the Neagles and (I think) Harvey Daniher are still alive in finals. Incidentally, if anyone knows what’s happened to Jaxon Neagle I’d be very much interested in finding out. Seems to have transferred to Wodonga with his brothers at the start of the year, but I have no record of him playing at all this season, and I’ve heard he was possibly the highest rated of the brothers, so obviously I’m interested…

Next year will be a bit more light-on for f/s stuff I suspect. Matt Neagle should be a reasonably regular Bushrangers player, and there’s a small chance Jett Bewick could have a go at going round as an overager at the cannons if he ever gets his body right, but that’s about all. After that, I think we have a year without any f/s candidates at all, followed by Neagle/Fletcher/Denham/O’Donnell all in one year, and Hird/Barnard/maybe another Fletcher the year after.

Sam Dunnell just missed out on the Liston by 1 vote.

CALDER Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte says he expects Tom Wallis to make his way to Essendon “one way or another” after the midfielder produced another stellar performance in the TAC Cup on Sunday. The son of two-time Essendon premiership player Dean, Wallis was named the Cannons’ best in their 17.8 (110) to 11.10 (76) loss against Eastern Ranges in Sunday’s elimination final at Princes Park. A potential father-son ­selection, the 18-year-old has played two VFL matches for the Bombers during an impressive second half of the season. “Probably the last 10 weeks including the couple of weeks he had at Essendon where he played VFL, he’s been really good,” Kyte said. “He’s turned his game around to now be a hard in-and-under midfielder and he’s learnt to spread from stoppages as well. “It’s now up to Essendon to make a decision. One way or another, he’ll be there I think, whether it’s on the VFL list, rookie or they’ll draft him. “I’d assume they’ll look to get him as cheaply as they can, which might be a rookie. But he’s really earnt his spot now.”
http://www.news.com.au/national/essendon-father-son-prospect-tom-wallis-completes-impressive-second-half-of-season-for-calder-cannons-in-tac-cup/story-e6frfkp9-1227516273089
Not sure on his cardio fitness. He spent much more time off the field than I'd like to see in a first rotation midfielder, and he looked pretty cooked at times.

Unless it’s significantly improved since the start of the season, it’s not the greatest.
When he was training with Essendon in the pre-season, he took part in a couple of the club’s time trials. Was right at the back. Obviously difficult for a 17 y/o compared to elite professional athletes, but he was a fair way off Langford and Laverde who had just been drafted for example.

So you’re saying Wallis lacks spreadsheeting?

PS. Apologies, I know it’s a bit unfair on the young lad.

Sam Dunnell is he worth another shot? DJR / Humble
Dad played 100 games at efc so could get free shot at rookie listing him?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/west/williamstown-star-sam-dunell-searches-for-second-afl-bite/story-fngnvog3-1227440336686

I follow the Essendon VFL team. Doesn’t mean I know anything about the rest of the league — hell, I didn’t even notice Tom Fields when we played Fark Northern.

Jay Neagle has been playing in the North Gippsland Football League and has looked shocking and injury prone at even this level

Was a shame, was looking forward to watching him play

He coached his side to fourth and they got knocked out week 1 of finals was sitting pretty in third but lost some key games towards the end of the season

Jay Neagle has been playing in the North Gippsland Football League and has looked shocking and injury prone at even this level

Was a shame, was looking forward to watching him play

He coached his side to fourth and they got knocked out week 1 of finals was sitting pretty in third but lost some key games towards the end of the season

He spent his recovery time at Schnitz.

That’s it he looks slow and cumberson and plays himself in weird position like the wing and full back

One young fella i know played for Old Xavs U 19 1sts premiership, Vanders son played in it also. Didnt see any games due to being in NSW so acouple of questions.
Any draft hopes for guys playing at this level?
Is Vanders son any good?

Its pretty rare for older guys to get drafted from any comp other than the top-level state leagues. It’s not completely unknown - Josh Jenkins, for instance - but it’s rare. Generally if you’re in a VAFA or EDFL or EFL or whatever side, in order to get drafted you’d aim for a spot on a VFL list next year, and maybe the AFL a year after. This is not getting easier given how few VFL sides are standalone these days and therefore how few opportunities there are, but it’s probably the best route. SANFL/WAFL can be worth a look too if you’re dedicated enough and don’t mind moving state.

Vanders jrn had some wraps on him as a u16, but had a terrible injury run and didn’t really ever get a real chance of proving how good he was in his u18 years. I’ve never seen him play (though I did see him hobbling round on crutches at Oakleigh Chargers games a few times) so I can’t comment on him personally. I know the club is still keeping something of an eye on him though.

Given Sam Dunnell’s season in the VFL I’d probably better update his entry as well, he’s got to be being looked at as a draft possibility.

A few guys have gotten drafted from the NEAFL recently (Vandenberg from Melbourne, couple to Brisbane??), haven’t they?
Or done the club footy > NEAFL > VFL two step.

Was zorko neafl?

I think so.

But while the NEAFL is obviously not at a standard equal to the VFL, WAFL, or SANFL, it’s still a level above local leagues, and blokes get drafted from it reasonably regularly. Recruiters will be happier about taking a risk on an obscure bloke who they’ve at least seen play against the Syd/Bris/GC/GWS seconds than they would about taking a risk on an obscure bloke who’s playing in a local league against a bunch of part-timers with the odd retired AFL player and undrafted TAC Cup kid thrown in to the pot.

Question without notice.

I was watching the TAC cup grand final Sunday and had a good luck at Blake Hardwick. Is that Dimma’s boy?

Also watched Todd van Der Haar closely at the VAFA Under 19 Premier grand final a few weeks back. Every inch his old man.

Question without notice.

I was watching the TAC cup grand final Sunday and had a good luck at Blake Hardwick. Is that Dimma’s boy?

Also watched Todd van Der Haar closely at the VAFA Under 19 Premier grand final a few weeks back. Every inch his old man.

No not related to Damien.

So van Der Haar look good?

So anyone know if we are going to pick Tom Wallis and if so how much he would cost, I would assume it wouldn’t be a massive amount.

So anyone know if we are going to pick Tom Wallis and if so how much he would cost, I would assume it wouldn't be a massive amount.

My guess is that no club would bid on him in the national draft and we could take him with our last pick. Or as a rookie

So anyone know if we are going to pick Tom Wallis and if so how much he would cost, I would assume it wouldn't be a massive amount.

My guess is that no club would bid on him in the national draft and we could take him with our last pick. Or as a rookie

Will be similar to what happened with Long last year.