Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Great work as usual HM

Jydon Neagle is in the Vic Country Under 19's squad to play the VAFA at Geelong in July.

U19's? I thought he was U20 age.

He turns/turned 20 this year, as far as I know.

Jydon Neagle is in the Vic Country Under 19's squad to play the VAFA at Geelong in July.

Yeah that's what I thought.

HM, a (hopefully) minor request. When you put up stats such as for Wallis, could you put a date on them? Lets those who aren’t visiting every day a feel for when each match occurred.

Yeah that's what I thought.

So how does he get to play U/19's if he's turning/turned 20 this year?  Do they allow overage players?

Nice little update on the James Hird Academy. Seems Van Der Haar is playing reasonable footy this year.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Essendon/Images/JHA%20Newsletter%20-%20Issue%209.pdf

Nice little update on the James Hird Academy. Seems Van Der Haar is playing reasonable footy this year.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/staticfile/AFL%20Tenant/Essendon/Images/JHA%20Newsletter%20-%20Issue%209.pdf

Yeah, saw that - great that he's finally getting a bit of luck.  Has been basically injured for the last two and a half years.

Top post update coming in the next day or so hopefully, once the stats go up for the NT champs game so I can fill out the Jake Long stuff. 

Don't expect too much, mind you - NT got done by a hundred-odd.  The state of junior footy in the Territory has got to be a big concern.  4 years back they were head and shoulders better than the northern states and they'd generally manage to knock Tassie off too and even get the occasional win over a div 1 side, but last year and apparently this year, they've been absolutely dire to the point of uncompetitiveness.  Dunno how much this has to do with advances in junior development in Qld and NSW as a spin-off of the GC/GWS expansion and how much of it is just a decline in Territory standards, but it's getting serious.

Updated with new info from the JHA newsletter, a bit of stuff on what some of the so-far-invisible blokes and previous year's kids are doing (Matthew Neagle arguably the most interesting). Jake Long didn't play for NT on the weekend, and Calder had a bye to Wallis didn't play either.  Bit of a quiet one, all told!

Are many of the NT kids going to boarding schools down here? OTOH a couple of the Riolis have, surely that’d have a big impact?

Updated with new info from the JHA newsletter, a bit of stuff on what some of the so-far-invisible blokes and previous year's kids are doing (Matthew Neagle arguably the most interesting). Jake Long didn't play for NT on the weekend, and Calder had a bye to Wallis didn't play either. Bit of a quiet one, all told!

I know Jake has been dealing with a few injuries. But is it possible he has put himself in cotton wool? Or is he just injury prone like his cousin.

Are many of the NT kids going to boarding schools down here? OTOH a couple of the Riolis have, surely that'd have a big impact?

I think a couple of them are, but dunno about the majority.  If anything, they should have an advantage over the other div 2 sides, cos NT is (due to small population size) allowed to field more 19yos than other teams.  They've got Wasley-Black, W Rioli and Ankers running around again, all of who are familiar names from last year.  Should be doing better than they are.

Updated with new info from the JHA newsletter, a bit of stuff on what some of the so-far-invisible blokes and previous year's kids are doing (Matthew Neagle arguably the most interesting). Jake Long didn't play for NT on the weekend, and Calder had a bye to Wallis didn't play either. Bit of a quiet one, all told!

I know Jake has been dealing with a few injuries. But is it possible he has put himself in cotton wool? Or is he just injury prone like his cousin.

Really doubt it.  I dunno what his school footy performances have been like (if anyone involved in Scotch and/or APS footy can tell me, please drop me a line!) but I don't think his performances at any level have really demanded we go to that sort of lengths to hide him.  He wasn't even playing in NTFL seniors when he played for St Marys over summer - stuck to the u18s, and did well without tearing it up.  There's still 5 games left in the div 2 champs so there's no rush for him to get back, unless he gets injured again I'd be very surprised if he didn't line up for some of them. 

Might find that the Northern states kids would benefit from having there top kids placed in AFL academy's. 

The NT unfortunately lacking far ad away from the rest of the AFL world. 

Both Tom Wallis and Harvey Daniher will be playing for Calder at Highgate today from 1pm.  Commentary on TAC Cup Radio

Updated.  No sign of little Long in the NT side (who got smacked again last weekend).  Big first game for the Cannons for Harvey Daniher though!

Updated. No sign of little Long in the NT side (who got smacked again last weekend). Big first game for the Cannons for Harvey Daniher though!

How did he go?

For those new visitors to the father/son thread, the top post is continually updated throughout the season with details on what the kids are doing, their most recent stats, injuries, etc etc, with new additions highlighted in red.

Updated.  Not much to say, Wallis still out of the cannons squad though at least he's graduated to the EDFL seniors.  Daniher backed up a very good TAC game last week with 2 touches this week (wtf?), and Neagle has joined Bewick and Long on the vanished-off-the-face-of-the-earth list...

Seems like another 2 touch game this week, at least he was at 100% efficiency I suppose. Are those stats reliable, the overall possession totals seem pretty low?

Seems like another 2 touch game this week, at least he was at 100% efficiency I suppose. Are those stats reliable, the overall possession totals seem pretty low?

TAC stats are generally reliable as a guideline (though I remember Oliver Tweedale scored 2.2 from zero kicks a few years ago...) but they're not exact.  As for the disposal numbers, remember there's no time on in TAC games, and the clock doesn't stop for ballups etc.  Makes for less actual playing time, so lower possession counts.

Jydon neagle named best on ground in 123 point victory for vic country over vafa  under 19,s in geelong.

Apparantly season over now for  shoulder surgery turns 20 in august,dominates midfield in geelong winning peter knights medal.