Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

November 20 is the deadline

CALDER Cannons defender Bruno Laguda’s consistency across the 2015 TAC Cup season was recognised with the club’s best and fairest award on Friday night.

The 18-year-old, who was named in Calder’s best players 11 times from 17 matches, held off a late surge from Essendon father-son prospect Tom Wallis to claim the Robert Hyde Medal.

Last year’s winner Nick O’Kearney finished third in the count.

Calder talent manager Ian Kyte said Laguda had left no stone unturned to impress AFL recruiters.

“I think Bruno is a rookie (draft) chance,” Kyte said.

“His ability to judge when to mark, when to spoil (and) to play on a player slightly taller or smaller, his pace and size given him both those options.
“There was a small query on his kicking … but he’s done some work on that and improved.”

The former East Keilor and Essendon Doutta Stars junior was the hard luck story of Calder’s 2014 finals campaign after being squeezed out of the grand final side which lost to Oakleigh.

But he showed no sign of ill feeling this year, taking his game to another level as a dashing half back flanker.
“His consistency was something that was extremely pleasing,” Kyte said.

“He rarely played a poor game, he probably only had one bad game for the year. It’s certainly reward for that.”

Laguda is likely to play for Victorian Football League outfit Coburg if he is overlooked in the AFL national and rookie drafts.

The Moonee Ponds resident averaged 20.3 disposals, 4.3 marks and four tackles per game this year.

Karl Brown received the club’s leading goalkicker award after finishing the campaign with 36 majors, while captain Matt Stillman (Coaches Award), Wallis (Most Improved), Joe Tobin (Academic Achievement Award) and Jack James (Best on Track) were also recognised.

Sunbury winger Mitch Conn received the coveted Corporal Cameron Baird VC MG Award, recognised as the club’s most courageous player.

Football manager Meg McArthur, Jake Williams and Gary Dwyer received life memberships.

Meanwhile, Callum Moore, Hisham Kerbatieh and O’Kearney took part in the AFL Draft Combine earlier this month.

Moore impressed in the standing and running vertical leap tests, as well as the 20m sprint test, while O’Kearney’s kicking rated highly.

I'm back guys fresh from Sale/Bairnsdale!

Wallis used to go to my primary school and played at my junior club, he was a little sh*t at the time.

Man your holiday destinations aren’t what they used to be.
Had 2 gigs to dj there haha
CALDER Cannons defender Bruno Laguda’s consistency across the 2015 TAC Cup season was recognised with the club’s best and fairest award on Friday night.

The 18-year-old, who was named in Calder’s best players 11 times from 17 matches, held off a late surge from Essendon father-son prospect Tom Wallis to claim the Robert Hyde Medal.

Last year’s winner Nick O’Kearney finished third in the count.

Calder talent manager Ian Kyte said Laguda had left no stone unturned to impress AFL recruiters.

“I think Bruno is a rookie (draft) chance,” Kyte said.

“His ability to judge when to mark, when to spoil (and) to play on a player slightly taller or smaller, his pace and size given him both those options.
“There was a small query on his kicking … but he’s done some work on that and improved.”

The former East Keilor and Essendon Doutta Stars junior was the hard luck story of Calder’s 2014 finals campaign after being squeezed out of the grand final side which lost to Oakleigh.

But he showed no sign of ill feeling this year, taking his game to another level as a dashing half back flanker.
“His consistency was something that was extremely pleasing,” Kyte said.

“He rarely played a poor game, he probably only had one bad game for the year. It’s certainly reward for that.”

Laguda is likely to play for Victorian Football League outfit Coburg if he is overlooked in the AFL national and rookie drafts.

The Moonee Ponds resident averaged 20.3 disposals, 4.3 marks and four tackles per game this year.

Karl Brown received the club’s leading goalkicker award after finishing the campaign with 36 majors, while captain Matt Stillman (Coaches Award), Wallis (Most Improved), Joe Tobin (Academic Achievement Award) and Jack James (Best on Track) were also recognised.

Sunbury winger Mitch Conn received the coveted Corporal Cameron Baird VC MG Award, recognised as the club’s most courageous player.

Football manager Meg McArthur, Jake Williams and Gary Dwyer received life memberships.

Meanwhile, Callum Moore, Hisham Kerbatieh and O’Kearney took part in the AFL Draft Combine earlier this month.

Moore impressed in the standing and running vertical leap tests, as well as the 20m sprint test, while O’Kearney’s kicking rated highly.

I know Bruno and Callum.
Obviously 2 different type of players but Bruno still a bit skinny, figure wise is comparable to jake long just a bit taller.

I just spotted what appears to be one, Jett Bewick,in the background of the VFL training session images from yesterday.

Interesting.

As per the AFL article Wallis is pre-selected in the rookie draft.

Todd Van Der Haar playing for Casey next season.

Very brief mention of Matthew Neagle in an AFL article: “while Essendon has access to Murray Bushrangers defender Matthew Neagle, a son of late premiership star Merv”.

The names we will be hearing a fair bit more about in the next 2-3 years according to the JHA website:

Jaxon Neagle, Mason Fletcher, Rick O’Donnell, Darcy Denham, Kurtis Barnard, Tom Hird, Max Fletcher.

JHA - Acceleration Group
Player Age Father
Tom Wallis 18 Dean Wallis
Jett Bewick 18 Darren Bewick
Harvey Daniher 17 Chris Daniher
Matthew Neagle 17 Merv Neagle

JHA - Next Generation
Player Age Father
Jaxon Neagle 15 Merv Neagle
Mason Fletcher 15 Dustin Fletcher
Rick O’Donnell 14 Gary O’Donnell
Darcy Denham 14 Sean Denham
Kurtis Barnard 14 Paul Barnard
Tom Hird 14 James Hird
Max Fletcher. 14 Dustin Fletcher
Josh Misiti 12 Joe Misiti
Nyawi Moore 12 Nathan Lovett-Murray
Alex Hird 12 James Hird
Tex Wanganeen 11 Gavin Wanganeen
Luca Alessio 11 Steve Alessio

Gee, do you think the Hird boys will keep playing footy after the last 4 years they’ve had?

Gee, do you think the Hird boys will keep playing footy after the last 4 years they've had?

rock up to media conferences elbows flying.

Gee, do you think the Hird boys will keep playing footy after the last 4 years they've had?

The AFL will change the father son rules just before the first Hird is available for selection preventing sons with surname Hird being drafted to his Dad’s club.

Nearly time to start updating again! I’ll give the thread the annual clean-up over the easter weekend, though it’ll be a few weeks til all the local leagues start and I won’t know what a lot of the boys are up to for a while.

Matthew Neagle is (I was told, once, a long time ago) the second best Neagle behind his younger and worse-spelled brother Jaxon. He’ll be a regular Bushrangers player this year, and kicked a couple of goals in the practise match last week against Eastern.

Jydon Neagle is VFL listed again, hopefully he won’t be as injury-cursed as he was last year so we might actually get to see him.

Jett Bewick was draftable last year but had a injury-riddled lead-in (missed pretty much all of 2014) and then more injuries during the year. He trained a bit with the club during preseason, but didn’t make the VFL side. Will be interesting to see if he goes around in the EDF or angles for a spot as an overager at the Cannons.

We have no underagers going around this year - next year is looking like a pretty uneventful one on the f/s front (I might go on hiliday during winter…), though the year after we’ve got Neagle, Fletcher, O’Donnell and Denham to keep an eye on.

I cannot believe that Dustin might have only missed playing with his son by 2 years!

Nearly time to start updating again! I'll give the thread the annual clean-up over the easter weekend, though it'll be a few weeks til all the local leagues start and I won't know what a lot of the boys are up to for a while.

Matthew Neagle is (I was told, once, a long time ago) the second best Neagle behind his younger and worse-spelled brother Jaxon. He’ll be a regular Bushrangers player this year, and kicked a couple of goals in the practise match last week against Eastern.

Jydon Neagle is VFL listed again, hopefully he won’t be as injury-cursed as he was last year so we might actually get to see him.

Jett Bewick was draftable last year but had a injury-riddled lead-in (missed pretty much all of 2014) and then more injuries during the year. He trained a bit with the club during preseason, but didn’t make the VFL side. Will be interesting to see if he goes around in the EDF or angles for a spot as an overager at the Cannons.

We have no underagers going around this year - next year is looking like a pretty uneventful one on the f/s front (I might go on hiliday during winter…), though the year after we’ve got Neagle, Fletcher, O’Donnell and Denham to keep an eye on.

You mean those 4 are draftable end of 2018?? Or end of 2017

Pretty sure he’s saying 2018. He says “this year”, “next year” and then “the year after” in relation to that. So pretty sure 2018.

I thought the eldest Fletcher was quite old??

I thought the eldest Fletcher was quite old??

Ken would be late 60s by now, so probably too old to draft I guess.