Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Sorry, all that clip made me do was check the age of the Davey twins: now 13!

BRING. THEM. IN.

7 Likes

And there were people complaining on blitz, that we carried Davey to 100 games.

HE HAS 3 SONS!

5 Likes

Had a fourth son in 2012.

6 Likes

Regarding Fletcher junior, and all highly speculative at this stage…but do you think there would be any draft slippage from him being a pure key defender?..that was my first instinct but then I started thinking about Hurley/Weitering etc…

Really hoping that Mason gets a mystery bout of “general soreness” after dominating in two games for Vic Metro next year. :innocent:. It’s sounding likely that he’ll be a first round bid.

On a serious point, if we think we’ll be taking him in 2018 it might losen the hold on trading with the 2018 1st and 2nd picks this year to assist with landing a midfielder like Hopper.

1 Like

If we did trade 2017 & 2018 first round picks, could we still have enough collective points with remaining picks where ever he falls?

I always get confused with the points system.

Because if they really do believe in his ability, it’s worth trying to get Kelly or Hopper using the two first round picks.

1 Like

If the club honestly believes we make the 8 next year, trade 2 first rounders for josh kelly (assuming he wants to come here of course).

2 Likes

You still have to use the same amount of points if he’s bid at the same pick. You just use the year after’s picks.

1 Like

You can get creative with it. Ie. trade your second round pick for the following year (maybe with a player), to gain more points for that year.

The fact is, we have a natural footballer, who is 16 and 196cm tall already, who plays key defender and is a pretty good kick of the footy.

We’ve taken bigger gambles on a lot less than that. If Merv Keane thinks he has upside, and Mason wants to play at the highest level. Why not? Still a lot to play out, but worth the discussion.

1 Like

Yeh…that’s what I meant.

Except you get a 20% point discount from where they’re bid on.

Yeah which is consistent whether or not you traded picks out. You still have to pay x*.80

Cue the AFL to change the rules about the 20% discount 5 minutes after we trade out the 2018 picks for one of the GWS lads.

1 Like

Wouldn’t put it past them. As always, there’s a LOT of ‘sovereign risk’ when it comes to counting your future draft/trade strategy. This stuff changes EVERY year.

As for Fletch junior - lot of water to pass under the bridge yet. In 2 out of 4 of his TAC games he’s had 2 touches. He was not selected in the VM squad, which tells me he’s not projected as a likely top 10 prospect at this stage (underage talls tend to find it harder to squeeze into the state squads than underage mids, but the most promising usually make it regardless)

Next year is being talked up as a pretty strong talls draft, and I’m not sure where the Fletchlet fits in the pecking order. The King brothers are probably leading the pack at this stage, from vic at least, not sure what’s available interstate. Being primarily a tall defender at this stage is no big deal. As a bottom-ager I’d expect that this year anyway (they normally start them back, except in the case of obvious forwards like Patton etc), though at 197cm I expect he’ll have a run in forward and probably in the ruck before next year’s draft. He hasn’t always been a backman, he has a modest but consistent goalscoring record at Aberfeldie.

As for what he plays like - I haven’t seen him yet personally,. However, thanks very much to @Dunlop who pointed this out to me, this year a lot of TAC games are ending up on youtube via AFL Vic, and MiniFletch’s most recent game is here for anyone who wants to look. Haven’t had the chance yet myself.

2 Likes

Unfortunately we won’t be getting that kid as there is no way he is Lloydy’s given he kicked on his right.

1 Like

Just watched this, caveat that I am Very Bad at judging U18s. Fletcher was mostly anonymous in the first half, did more in the second half. I thought his third quarter in particular was good. Lost a couple of one on ones that seemed to his advantage, but also showed a bit of his dad’s ability to stick in an arm (or leg) out of nowhere. I think his height and kicking (length, not necessarily quality) mean he would be getting noticed even if his name wasn’t Fletcher, but I wouldn’t be including him in calculations for trading 2018 picks just yet.

Also the audio is badly out of sync. I ended up opening it in two tabs, one muted, the other one shifted forward by 17 seconds.

Looks like a lot of competition for that under-sized CHF slot.

2 Likes

Just stack them up and put them in one really big jumper.

1 Like

They would look like a really tall thalidomide victim.

BETA?