Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

We will have a few academy/FS kids around that time. NatRats eldest is the same age, I think, as well.

And then Rioli and our Northern Academy will probably have a few draftable prospects too. Our Calder region will also no doubt have a few to consider.

If we manage the development of these programs well and finally live up to the potential of our list, then the NGA may allow us to continually bring in high end talent despite finishing high on the ladder.

4 Likes

Heard very good things about the Davey twins. Lets hope it plays out well.

3 Likes

I vote Mason Fletcher for backup ruckman. Has the pedigree.

1 Like

It certainly doesn’t win points for being original or adventurous, but the “Essendon clap clap clap" is really just utterly beige moreso than cringeworthy.

I don’t know that anything will top “Aussie Aussie Aussie, Oi Oi Oi…” when it comes to utterly, utterly off-the-charts cringe-factor!!

6 Likes

I quietly wish we’d go back to the

Esssseeeeeennnnnnnddooooooooooonnnnnn

I understand everyone thinks it is a Collingwood thing. But it has the benefit of being about the only thing we can seem to get the timing right enough to make it work.

2 Likes

Then try him forward. Then 20 years as a kpd, please!

2 Likes

We should steal Easts (and I’m sure many others…reckon I’ve heard it in College Football) chant.
Not sure if Dons will work as well, but that exhalation really is intimidating.

The chicken dance our women swimmers were doing at a Commonwealth Games about 20 years ago wins my vote. But Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi Oi takes a fair cake.

I like the chant from We Are Marshall about a college football team getting killed in a plane crash. But you wouldn’t want to overdo it…and we all know that when you’ve got a good thing, you beat it to death.

1 Like

I’m not sure what all this has to do with father/son picks, but the Iceland viking slow coordinated hand clap is hard to beat.

2 Likes

We now have 2 Category B Rookies for 2019 in Lavender and McNeice, and there is an Irishman we are also looking at.

Only one Cat B place left … for 2019 at least.

McNeice is on the Cat A List. (Edit. Cat B confirmed)

Lavender might only have another year, if he can’t get past his injuries.

Morrisey hasn’t been confirmed.

And a lot of those NGA and FS kids that have been mentioned will probably be national draft selections.

I hope that we use the Cat B list to its full capacity when our systems start bearing fruit. Actually, I hope the AFL expands the list to 50, scraps the rookie list and then turns the Cat B list into a proper rookie list that is full of NGA development players and code converts, the way it was intended.

6 Likes

Maybe we can turn Fletcher into a Forward!
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hot off the press:

Odd. I’m certain we upgraded him to our Cat A list and I don’t think you can put them back on the cat B list after that.

Who said the AFL rulings had to make sense.

4 Likes

As did I. But if he was Cat B this year, did we opt to go in 1 player short in 2018?

I don’t think you are allowed to have less than 4 CatA rookies. You can have more rookies if you decide to have less on the main list (40+4 or 39+5 or 38+6) but I always thought it was at least 4 rookies. Draper, Mynott, McKernan and ???

Unless Long was the 4th rookie, it doesn’t make any sense to me

You can have zero rookies if you want. There used to be a minimum, but they got rid of it.

MINIMUM NUMBER OF ROOKIES
Rookie lists are now recognised as a key list management tool and designating a minimum number of rookies is no longer necessary as it is purely a club decision.

1 Like

Ahh first rule of Footy: When in doubt, assume the AFL has changed the rule

6 Likes

Ahem, almost 30 years ago