Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

I believe that the idea was originally they had to encourage teams to take rookies, now they figure why wouldn’t everyone have as many potential players on their list who don’t contribute to the TPP as possible. It’s a fair question I’d think, but here we are.

Same reason I’m bemused we haven’t had 3 cat b rookies perpetually listed since it was brought in.

I think it’s more due to the resources that need to be devoted, therefore adding to the footy department soft cap. Clubs also wouldn’t just throw away money at a player if they didn’t think they were going to make it.

I’m not saying just pick anyone up. I’m saying look further and wider to identify the right players. If it uses more resources, that’s fine by me. It’s a free hit at the draft and salary cap. 3 Conors is better than 1.

You’re only allowed one Irishman at a time on the Cat B list.

And although I agree with the general spirit, even a team like EFC doesn’t actually post that large profits each year. Doing this would eat into them, which would reduce flexibility in the future. I think the club should look widely, but if they can’t find someone who has sufficient probability of making it, I’m ok with them passing.

Edited for accuracy/clarity.

2 Likes

You are allowed one Irishman per year.

Isn’t it just one on the Cat B list?

Yep i’m almost certain it’s this. If you want more than one Irishman on your list the others have to be on the main list or Rookie A

Fathersson was on the left wing.

Ok. That could be it. The main driver of the restriction was the Irish league didn’t want the afl to take every talented player. So you can have multiple Irishmen, you just couldn’t take them all in one year.

The A and B list restrictions are new to me.

How come the Filth can take two Irish boys in one year??

See below from AFL site…

www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-28/truck-of-the-irish-takeover-continues-with-record-number

AN UNPRECEDENTED number of Irishmen are set to compete in the AFL next year if North Melbourne’s bid to lure a prospect from a small county is successful.

Red Óg Murphy, a forward from Sligo, is that player.

Óg is the Irish equivalent of ‘junior’, for the uninitiated, but you can already take a pretty accurate stab at what his nickname will be in Australia.

He could follow countrymen James Madden (Brisbane), Mark Keane and Anton Tohill (Collingwood), Stefan Okunbor (Geelong) and Callum Brown (Greater Western Sydney) into the League in 2019.

One Cat B, and one Cat A??

15 Likes

That would be my understanding

1 Like

Current rules:

IRISH ROOKIE PRE-SELECTION

Irish players can be signed directly to a club’s Rookie List under the International Player Rule and do not have to go through the draft. Previously, Irish players could not be listed as Category B rookies but took a spot on the main Rookie List.

Clubs can now list one Irish player as a Category B rookie but for each additional Irish player rookie listed, that player will be deemed to be a Category A rookie and the club will forfeit its last selection in the Rookie Draft for each additional player listed.

2 Likes

Seems like things have changed. I’m 99% sure the one a year rule was in place in the past to address the fears of the Irish league. The stats of Irish imports show very few go on have long term careers, with most heading home after a few years. This reality has probably eased the original fears.

I know you can only have 1 Irishman as Cat B. When I said 3 Conors, I didn’t actually mean 3 blokes called Conor. Just 3 blokes with elite attributes from alternative sources on our list all the time.
We posted a $4M profit last year. I think we can afford another couple of rookies.
And it’s the “if they can’t find someone” part that I have a problem with. Plenty out there, if we’re not finding them, we’re not looking hard enough.

[quote=“dmorg1, post:994, topic:1298, full:true”]
How come the Filth can take two Irish boys in one year??

Dare I say it…

To be sure to be sure.

I’ll get my hat

5 Likes

I reckon that there would be some kind of gentleman’s agreements amongst the clubs in regards to F/S’s so late in draft.

Disco cheekily bid on Silvagni knowing full well he’d match however. Disco and SOS as we’ve seen across the draft period banter with each other a lot.

But if we had no picks/spots after where our last one was I honestly couldn’t see another club selecting them

And we are talking about players who more likely than not would try to get across to the club their fathers played for anyway so a risk that not worth taking

The 3 generations of Fletchers story is amazing for the club. And with everything Neagle has been through if he wanted to play for EFC like his dad other clubs wouldn’t pick him.

2 Likes

How can you start a fight with just one Irishman