Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Wallis did pretty looking at the stats.

Named best on ground for Calder again.
Not always the most reliable report but it would seem he’s really hitting some form now.

Not always the most reliable report but it would seem he’s really hitting some form now.

Yup, got a mention in tac cup show too!
Vfl experience seems to have helped him.

Well, was actually named third best for his team, in a game when his team got beaten by a side that would have won the spoon except for that win… #lidon #spoilsport

Well, was actually named third best for his team, in a game when his team got beaten by a side that would have won the spoon except for that win… #lidon #spoilsport

Haha my bad the progressive scores had him best on but yes #persepective

■■■■■■ average result from Calder.

Haha my bad the progressive scores had him best on but yes #persepective

■■■■■■ average result from Calder.

there were a few upsets this week. Sandy over Eastern, Knights over Power, and western over the Cannons. And Geelong are beating Dandy at the moment.

Anyone doing TAC Cup tipping would be having a rough week this week. At least you can always rely on Bendigo to lose…

Is Wallis expected to go in the main draft or should we be able to pick him up as a rookie in a similar way we did with Long?

Has the James Hird Academy been closed yet?

Has the James Hird Academy been closed yet?

Now known as the Artist formally known as Academy

Is Wallis expected to go in the main draft or should we be able to pick him up as a rookie in a similar way we did with Long?

We are going to have roughly 7 picks in the draft. There isn’t a huge difference between pick 87 and the rookie draft. If we want him at all then nominate him so nobody else gets him. Either someone will bid a 3rd rounder on him which we will match with a 4th or we grab him with our last pick.

We are going to have roughly 7 picks in the draft. There isn’t a huge difference between pick 87 and the rookie draft. If we want him at all then nominate him so nobody else gets him. Either someone will bid a 3rd rounder on him which we will match with a 4th or we grab him with our last pick.

I don’t think we even have to nominate him any more. I think he just has to name himself as FS eligible, then we can worry about it on draft night.

TOM WALLIS
Following the disappointment of being cut from the VIC Metro squad, Tom has rebounded well in the
second half of the year and has been named among the best players for the Calder Cannons in six of the
seven games. The son of dual Premiership Bomber, Dean Wallis, is averaging 18 disposals and 5 clearances
per game while playing predominantly in the midfield. Tom also produced a pair of promising performances
across half-forward during two games with Essendon’s VFL team, with the highlight being a great running
goal from outside 50 at Windy Hill. The young midfielder will look to finish the season strongly playing for
Calder in the TAC Cup finals.

What are the rules on F/S on a player that has already been on a AFL list?

San Dunell has put together a pretty handy season for Williamstown. 18 games, 9 in best, 38 goals. 16.5 disposals per game.

f/s is f/s, regardless of how old or what he’s done previously, as far as I know.

For those who can make it, Wallis is playing in the elimination final for Calder at 11:30 Sunday, princes park. I suspect the Cannons will lose (Eastern have been a clearly better side than them all year) so this is probably your last chance to see him before the draft.

I’m hoping to go to the game, but it’s not very likely - I’ve been extremely ill this winter and I can’t justify spending that amount of time outside if the weather is going to be a little bit less than ‘fine and sunny’, i’d just be asking for a relapse. Real pity, TAC finals are some of the best footy of the year, imho, and I was really looking forward to seeing one of our blokes.

f/s is f/s, regardless of how old or what he's done previously, as far as I know.

For those who can make it, Wallis is playing in the elimination final for Calder at 11:30 Sunday, princes park. I suspect the Cannons will lose (Eastern have been a clearly better side than them all year) so this is probably your last chance to see him before the draft.

I’m hoping to go to the game, but it’s not very likely - I’ve been extremely ill this winter and I can’t justify spending that amount of time outside if the weather is going to be a little bit less than ‘fine and sunny’, i’d just be asking for a relapse. Real pity, TAC finals are some of the best footy of the year, imho, and I was really looking forward to seeing one of our blokes.

I thought they were playing the Stingrays
f/s is f/s, regardless of how old or what he's done previously, as far as I know.

Nope. Calder vs Eastern tomorrow morning in the elimnation final, followed by Stingrays v Bushrangers in the qualifying final (Schache vs Weitering should be interesting in that game…)

Weather forecast looks ok so far, so I actually might get to go along, fingers crossed.

Nope. Calder vs Eastern tomorrow morning in the elimnation final, followed by Stingrays v Bushrangers in the qualifying final (Schache vs Weitering should be interesting in that game…)

Weather forecast looks ok so far, so I actually might get to go along, fingers crossed.

Yep, I just double checked, thanks HM.
Unfortunately I can’t make it, was hoping to get along.
Enjoy, hopefully you can fill us in

Wallis names best for cannons in their loss. Has really hit some form.

Wallis names best for cannons in their loss. Has really hit some form.
Presumably McKernan will replace Muller* next week, so a different 23rd man is needed for the second final.

If we’re interested, Wallis may get the slot.

Tardrew was good last week, though.

Yeah, I was at the Cannons game, it was good to get a look at Tom before Calder got dumped from the finals.

As for best on - yeah maybe. There certainly weren’t many competitors for the title as far as Calder went, though there were a bunch of Ranges boys who played better. Cannons midfield got absolutely monstered for the first 3/4, they went into the last quarter 11 goals down. But they kicked I think 6 to one in the last quarter and our boy was one of the main reasons. Got some really aggressive run and carry happening, had a load of touches (when his stats come out it’s probably worth remembering that probably 2/3 of them were in the last quarter when the game was lost) and wasn’t afraid to boot it deep going into the fwd 50. Clean hands too, which made him a rarity among the Cannons mids. God they were fumbly. Not sure there’s going to be too many Cannons draftees this year, as a club they’ve really fallen to bits since changing coaches circa 2010.

In the first 3/4 he just couldn’t get into the game at all. Was playing as an outside runner in a side that had no real contested ball winners and got butchered in the stoppages. Continually found himself on the other side of the field, making an option where the ball wasn’t. Spent a lot of time on the bench before he went into the middle in the last and went bang… Was noticeable how Calder’s last-quarter charge ground to a halt when he went off for a breather.

He’s got something to work with imho, but he’s nobody’s idea of a sure thing. I liked his cleanness and willingness to take the game on, I didn’t like his half-pace jogging around off the ball in the first three quarters when his team needed him to be imposing himself on the game as best he could. Also, he’s a weed and he compensates for lack of strength by tackling crudely, needs to bulk up and clean up his technique cos he gave away needless free kicks.

Not sure on his cardio fitness. He spent much more time off the field than I’d like to see in a first rotation midfielder, and he looked pretty cooked at times. Also was the recipient of one of the all-time great fend-offs by Ryan Clarke, who is the same height but built like a brick shithouse, and who was part of the big, strong Eastern midfield that crushed the skinny calder boys around the contest and ended up kicking 4…