Father Son Watch (2017 onwards)

Well, I used the words “sounds like” because I haven’t seen any - which I’m pretty sure you guessed. But I’ve read quite a bit of people’s reports, and it didn’t sound encouraging. Happy to be proven wrong.

People may not remember just how many years it took before his Dad “came good” and deserved his spot in the team.

Sure. But you can pick up someone F/S anytime. IF he isn’t good enough YET, then we could pick him up later when he is.

Yes.

People may not remember just how many years it took before his Dad "came good" and deserved his post in the team.

His Dad always had something though.

As for Tom, I was judging him as VFL for next year on the basis of the reports. Sounded like he was decent and improving, but that a year at VFL level would be beneficial. Of course, if he’s good enough compared to what’s available we should take him. I’m in no position to make that judgement, so was going off the vibe, even of the 26 possession final report but not overly excited, so I guess that informed my reading of the ‘vibe’. But obviously I can be completely wrong…

Not saying anyone is wrong, especially as I don’t know anything about him apart from what I read here. I am just suggesting that we may not need to rush, given the family history.

I believe there's some sort of father son nomination deadline today. Don't know why clubs have to indicate they're interested in FS players given the way the new system works, but they do.

I’m guessing the nomination happens pre-draft so as not to slow down proceedings on the night. For example, players name gets called out, the father of that player’s club calls dibs, the draft stops while the AFL phones potential draftee to ask if he is actually consenting to going to FS club…

From all I’ve read of Tom Wallis (never seen him play) he was barely making the cut of the Cannons squad at the start of the year, but just kept doing stuff and bobbing up and ended up being pretty good, was it 2nd in their B&F? And he was a tall at U16s level, sounds like he stopped growing pretty early.

I think that aligns with what you’re saying frosty, “he has something”

I believe there's some sort of father son nomination deadline today. Don't know why clubs have to indicate they're interested in FS players given the way the new system works, but they do.

I’m guessing the nomination happens pre-draft so as not to slow down proceedings on the night. For example, players name gets called out, the father of that player’s club calls dibs, the draft stops while the AFL phones potential draftee to ask if he is actually consenting to going to FS club…

Yeah I understand why the player has to nominate, I just don’t understand why the club has to. Someone drafts the player, club can decide whether to match or not, I don’t see why they have to have said a few weeks earlier that they’ll consider matching, it’s pointless.

Little tiny bit of Tom Wallis footage at 38:30, be sure to turn the audio down before watching though, cos The List Mangler is doing a voiceover.

Reminds me a little of Ricky Dyson actually, though it’s probably just the hair. Like the clean ball handling though, that does seem to be a feature of his game.

Bio on Wallis in Inside Football’s draft edition:

“He had an exceptional last half of the year - he wins the ball well, his pace is quite good, he’s strong, tough and kicks the ball well. He’s a father-son prospect for Essendon as Dean’s son and I think they’ll at least rookie him if not draft him. He could play half back; he could probably run through wings or something like that. He had a couple of reasonable games early, then went on the ball for a while and his last probably eight weeks were very good.” - Calder Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte

Sounds like we are picking him.

Looked good in that 8 seconds of highlights!

Thats all it takes to win the Rodeo …

given all the players we cleared hope we rookie him.
We should be signing Bewicks son to the VFL tho, and the neagles as well.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/localfooty/essendon-fatherson-prospect-tom-wallis-completes-impressive-second-half-of-season-for-calder-cannons-in-tac-cup/news-story/1bb412e638f06962e36b5b45394d14c6

CALDER Cannons talent manager Ian Kyte says he expects Tom Wallis to make his way to Essendon “one way or another” after the midfielder produced another stellar performance in the TAC Cup on Sunday.

The son of two-time Essendon premiership player Dean, Wallis was named the Cannons’ best in their 17.8 (110) to 11.10 (76) loss against Eastern Ranges in Sunday’s elimination final at Princes Park.

A potential father-son ­selection, the 18-year-old has played two VFL matches for the Bombers during an impressive second half of the season.

“Probably the last 10 weeks including the couple of weeks he had at Essendon where he played VFL, he’s been really good,” Kyte said.

“He’s turned his game around to now be a hard in-and-under midfielder and he’s learnt to spread from stoppages as well.

“It’s now up to Essendon to make a decision. One way or another, he’ll be there I think, whether it’s on the VFL list, rookie or they’ll draft him.

“I’d assume they’ll look to get him as cheaply as they can, which might be a rookie. But he’s really earnt his spot now.”

Hams haters, you have a new target.

Did anyone hate Hams?

Did anyone hate Hams?

I do not like Hams, Sam I am. And green eggs I am not keen on either.

PS I do like Hams, but quite a few question his size and getting injured, however I do steer clear of green eggs.

Wallis?

Club not stoked with a certain Father Son prospect.