Father Son Watch

WHAT THE ■■■■.

So we miss out on Jake Long then?! Great

You won't like this HM.

The AFL confirmed the additional selection which could be pick 19 - handed to them after intense negotiations - could not be used for father-son selections.

"They have a pick after Round 1 but that pick has been inserted into the national draft so it cannot be used on a father-son," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.

"They have no father-son rights for Rounds 1 and 2, and cannot bid on another club's father-son players."

The Bombers were only aware they could not use the additional pick for father-son selections on Wednesday, and were less than impressed.

FFS.

They have really gone far out of their way to screw us over.

Normally I'd call bullshit on the whole 'talk your father/sons into waiting another year' thing cos that stuff never happens, but we might actually try it for the 2014 batch, to give the middle finger to the AFL if nothing else. 

Wankers.

im sure i saw emma q say we could on twitter but now i cant find it........maybe i got it wrong.

surely we wont miss long or wallis will we???

You won't like this HM.

The AFL confirmed the additional selection which could be pick 19 - handed to them after intense negotiations - could not be used for father-son selections.
"They have a pick after Round 1 but that pick has been inserted into the national draft so it cannot be used on a father-son," AFL spokesman Patrick Keane said.
"They have no father-son rights for Rounds 1 and 2, and cannot bid on another club's father-son players."
The Bombers were only aware they could not use the additional pick for father-son selections on Wednesday, and were less than impressed.

FFS.
They have really gone far out of their way to screw us over.
Normally I'd call bullshit on the whole 'talk your father/sons into waiting another year' thing cos that stuff never happens, but we might actually try it for the 2014 batch, to give the middle finger to the AFL if nothing else.
Wankers.

He'll play school footy and conveniently be injured just as the championships roll around.

im sure i saw emma q say we could on twitter but now i cant find it........maybe i got it wrong.

surely we wont me is long will we???

she said "Can't see it being an issue this year or next, at this stage" but said she'd have to check after I mentioned that Adelaide got kicked out of F/S as part of their draft sanctions. I guess someone checked.

Edit: also, leaving us out of round 1&2 F/S eligibility? That's just downright mean. And let's be honest, if a promising young player who's an Essendon F/S prospect in 2014 just happened to not nominate for the draft, the AFL would just happen to take us to the cleaners for draft tampering.

could we simply sign them up to the VFL team for as many seasons as necessary, until we useful picks for F/S bidding? This wouldn't be too costly as they may very well have spent most of their first 1-2 seasons playing VFL anyway?

surely we wont me is long will we???

she said "Can't see it being an issue this year or next, at this stage" but said she'd have to check after I mentioned that Adelaide got kicked out of F/S as part of their draft sanctions. I guess someone checked.

I think that's a comment on how highly this and next year's father-sons are rated rather than anything else.

As I said, opinions on Jake long vary widely. 

(it also seems Callum Daniher is eligible this year rather than next - can't see him getting picked up.  Or little Vander, who missed out on the TAC Cup after copping continual injuries over the last couple of years)

could we simply sign them up to the VFL team for as many seasons as necessary, until we useful picks for F/S bidding? This wouldn't be too costly as they may very well have spent most of their first 1-2 seasons playing VFL anyway?

As I appended to my post above. The AFL would crucify us for draft tampering if the player was anywhere near AFL quality. I think we've seen enough recently to know they wouldn't have to prove it, they'd just have to say it's what was happening.

If he has a big year next year, that's what I'd be trying to talk him into doing if I was EFC.

Dunno though.  The AFL might decide (in their infinite wisdom...) to smack us with draft tampering charges if we do.  Dunno how they'd justify that, cos he'd still have to go through the bidding process as usual whenever he does nominate, plus surely the AFL can't COMPEL anyone to nominate for the draft if they choose not to.  But I'm really starting to think that no act of bastardry is beneath those walking agglomerations of syphilitic pus in AFL house - and as they are ever so fond of reminding us, they make the rules, ignore them whenever they like, and set the punishments.  So nothing is certain.

im shattered again now........what a roller coaster it is at the moment.

Got offered a job in Hong Kong............might have to take it to get away from this crap for 2 years

If he has a big year next year, that's what I'd be trying to talk him into doing if I was EFC.

Dunno though.  The AFL might decide (in their infinite wisdom...) to smack us with draft tampering charges if we do.  Dunno how they'd justify that, cos he'd still have to go through the bidding process as usual whenever he does nominate, plus surely the AFL can't COMPEL anyone to nominate for the draft if they choose not to.  But I'm really starting to think that no act of bastardry is beneath those walking agglomerations of syphilitic pus in AFL house - and as they are ever so fond of reminding us, they make the rules, ignore them whenever they like, and set the punishments.  So nothing is certain.

What if we say he didn't know he had to lodge paperwork to nominate for the draft, and then do it too late for anyone to realise, and pick him up in the rookie draft? Who am I kidding? There's no way the AFL would let a team get away with something like that.

I guess we have to hope no other opposition clubs bids for them. Would they respectfully stay away if EFC informed them to do so?

What if we say he didn't know he had to lodge paperwork to nominate for the draft, and then do it too late for anyone to realise, and pick him up in the rookie draft? Who am I kidding? There's no way the AFL would let a team get away with something like that.

AFL cant make anyone nominate.....

No, they can't, but it would obvious to blind freddy why he didn't nominate. He wouldn't get forced into the draft, but we'd get forced out for another couple of years for draft tampering.

Surely it is any players right whether they nominate for the draft or not.

How could the AFL punish the club if I, as an individual with rights, said

that I wanted to ensure I have a fair chance of being drafted to the club my father

was a champion for, so I am opting to not elect for this year’s draft, but rather play

VFL and nominate next year.

Not saying this will happen, just that it must be an option for any individual who is not

even an employee of the AFL.

we cant bid on another teams father son, but the rule ststes if our father son is bid on then me must use our next available draft pick. Surely under the rules we can use our next available? I didnt see anything stating that it had to be in the same or proceeding round.

we cant bid on another teams father son, but the rule ststes if our father son is bid on then me must use our next available draft pick. Surely under the rules we can use our next available? I didnt see anything stating that it had to be in the same or proceeding round.

AFL have 'clarified' the rule. It's pretty clear now. Apparently the crows had the same limitation with their Tippett draft penalties, so there's precedent.
On the brighter side, Tom wallis made his edfl seniors debut on the weekend, kicked 3 and was named in the best.

One other option we might have with Long is for him to nominate for the 2014 draft, but don't nominate as a father son.  Then we could just take him with pick 18.

Of course this runs the risk of someone else getting him, but it's probably a good option if we think he's a good chance to be a second rounder.

Is that allowed?

Surely it is any players right whether they nominate for the draft or not.
How could the AFL punish the club if I, as an individual with rights, said
that I wanted to ensure I have a fair chance of being drafted to the club my father
was a champion for, so I am opting to not elect for this year's draft, but rather play
VFL and nominate next year.
Not saying this will happen, just that it must be an option for any individual who is not
even an employee of the AFL.

Ok, yeah, if a player did that with no encouragement from the club it'd be all right. But if there was one phone call, one email, whatever, even suggesting it as a course of action then Essendon are culpable. We can't set it up and then pretend it was his idea and get the AFL on a technicality. If nothing else can be taken from the last seven months it should be that "well, technically we can do this..." is an argument the AFL can make but clubs can't.

Anyway, it's all completely hypothetical and I'd be shocked if it happened.

One other option we might have with Long is for him to nominate for the 2014 draft, but don't nominate as a father son.  Then we could just take him with pick 18.

Of course this runs the risk of someone else getting him, but it's probably a good option if we think he's a good chance to be a second rounder.

Is that allowed?

Yeah, player has to agree to being taken F/S and the club has to nominate him. Marc Murphy didn't want to be taken F/S so ended up at Carlton. Hell, with the rookie F/S version the club doesn't even have to take them once they're nominated.

List from todays H/Sun.

Callum Daniher, 17
Father: Chris Daniher
Todd Vander Haar, 17
(Paul Vander Haar)
Jake Long, 17
(Michael Long)
Nathan Neagle, 16
(Merv Neagle)
Tom Wallis, 16
(Dean Wallis)
Jett Bewick, 15