Father Son Watch

No, they can't, but it would obvious to blind freddy why he didn't nominate. He wouldn't get forced into the draft, but we'd get forced out for another couple of years for draft tampering.

It's ... debatable.  On the face of it, you could make a perfectly reasonable case that he is still going through the normal draft process, just a year later than usual.  We'd still have to pay market price to get him, other clubs could still bid on him as per the usual procedure.  So we wouldn't actually be getting an unfair advantage or depriving other clubs of a chance of drafting him.

But of course, draft tampering rules are administered by the AFL, who are judge jury and executioner, not always in that order.  So even though it SEEMS perfectly reasonable, they might decide to penalise us for the sound legal reason of LOOK THERE'S A BUNNY, and as we have seen, there's probably not much we could do about it.

Words can't describe how angry I am.

List from todays H/Sun.
Callum Daniher, 17
Father: Chris Daniher
Todd Vander Haar, 17
(Paul Vander Haar)
Jake Long, 17
(Michael Long)
Nathan Neagle, 16
(Merv Neagle)
Tom Wallis, 16
(Dean Wallis)
Jett Bewick, 15
(Darren Bewick)
Harvey Daniher, 15
(Chris Daniher)
Matthew Neagle, 15
(Merv Neagle)

Where's Jydon Neagle on that list?

It truly amazes me how much power the AFL yield.  No dispute that the AFL Commission was a good idea and that it has helped the game go forward, but Clubs gave up the power to be individual.

Always thought that the draft is unreasonable and limits the rights of players, but no-one has the balls to challenge it in court, unlike the NRL where it was challenged and then they threw out their draft system.

If I played 100 games for the Bombers and my son wanted to play for them, then we would join the draft when EFC could pick him. If the AFL wanted to challenge this then we would in court very quickly.  I cannot believe that you have to nominate when you turn 17 or miss out. In fact, recent history shows that more mature draftees are doing very well; Barlow at Freo and Kommer with us as good examples.

Jydon Neagle is 18 and eligible for this draft.  Perhaps we could take him as a rookie, or he could be signed with VFL Club. The AFL view on this would be interesting to know, as any ban would also hurt the rights of the young guy.

This was from a website aflrules.com.au

Not sure if it's been posted but it all seems pretty clear to me. Are you saying they changed this rule??

Father-Son Rule: This rule was introduced to ensure that family traditions were upheld when it comes to footy, as sons of fathers that played for any given club could be selected by that club regardless of zoning rules. In order to be eligible for the Father-Son Rule, the father had to have played at least 100 games for the club. All other teams are allowed to bid on the son. The team that wishes to draft the son then has to match the highest bid with their next available draft selection.

It appears so. Just for adelaide last year and us.

This was from a website aflrules.com.au
Not sure if it's been posted but it all seems pretty clear to me. Are you saying they changed this rule??
Father-Son Rule: This rule was introduced to ensure that family traditions were upheld when it comes to footy, as sons of fathers that played for any given club could be selected by that club regardless of zoning rules. In order to be eligible for the Father-Son Rule, the father had to have played at least 100 games for the club. All other teams are allowed to bid on the son. The team that wishes to draft the son then has to match the highest bid with their next available draft selection.

Seems clear cut to me. No doubt the media will beat this into a frenzy again so we get ■■■■■■ again.

Could always get Jakey to pose for a photo with a couple of empty tinnies, cigarette in mouth and eyes pinging off some googs.

I think this is a bit of a storm in a teacup. The AFL ruling prevents us from bidding what I think will be around 18 to 20 for a skinny mid fielder who may develop into something. They might just be doing us a favour. Emotion can outweigh reason when father/son rules are involved, and I'd hate to see us waste the 18 pick in 2014.

By the way, with exception of Joe, who was a deadset standout, when was the last time we bid anything more than a third rounder for a father/son?

I don't think the hard heads at the club will be too concerned.

What constitutes draft tampering? Does it have to come from us?

What if Jake Long decides he has an opportunity to play at his Dad's club, and it's guaranteed if he comes and plays VFL in 2015 and nominates at year's end rather than nominating in 2014?

It would be criminal for Jake long to play in any other colours than balck and red.

If i was him i would sit out for 1 year, play at Essendon resevers, still essentially in the system. and if any good the club will pay a fair price the next year when we are eligible again.

Hopefully we have number of father & sons that year to select who are worthy and we get some benefit that way. 

Is Dean Wallis kid really that good?, in HUN they said he was as good as pendelbury at similar age... is that just BS?

Words can't describe how angry I am.

Surely essendon would have discussed this when accepting penalties.

Lawyers not doing there jobs. And becuase afl didnt announce this with earlier penalties, seems to have been an after thought / something which essendon didnt agree to.

The only thing we had to hold our hat on re draft sanctions was a number of father son recruits. no we have lost that for 2 years too.

Please correct me if im worng, however Tom Wallis can only qualify for 2015 draft, not earlier. This is improtant as he is probably the best on that list IMO.

Please correct me if im worng, however Tom Wallis can only qualify for 2015 draft, not earlier. This is improtant as he is probably the best on that list IMO.

This is correct, on both counts..

There is no rule whatsoever that says a player must nominate for the draft at a particular age.  If a player decides he does not wish to nominate then the AFL can do jack all about it and cannot say a thing about it.
If however we were to approach said player and tell them not to nominate then the AFL can go after us for prejudicing the draft.  And fair enough too.

How many 18 yr olds are willing to wait 12 months?

He'd be foolish not to nominate  Who knows what would happen if he knocked back the draft. If I was his dad I'd say I'd love you to play for my old club but this is too big an opportunity to risk. There's a good chance the 3rd pick would be good enough anyway.

As for the sons of club icons playing at other clubs, Josh Kennedy doesn't seem too unhappy at the Swans and his blood lines are pure hawk.

He'd be foolish not to nominate  Who knows what would happen if he knocked back the draft. If I was his dad I'd say I'd love you to play for my old club but this is too big an opportunity to risk. There's a good chance the 3rd pick would be good enough anyway.

As for the sons of club icons playing at other clubs, Josh Kennedy doesn't seem too unhappy at the Swans and his blood lines are pure hawk.

If we promised him we would draft him the year after, and signed him to the VFL side, you can't see why he wouldn't. Especially if he's skinny and wouldn't be likely to have played 1's anyway.

If we promised him we would draft him the year after, and signed him to the VFL side, you can't see why he wouldn't. Especially if he's skinny and wouldn't be likely to have played 1's anyway.

In 2011Draftees got 2 year contracts with guaranteed wages of 56,000 and big bonuses if they play games(Might be more now). That's good money for an 18 year old. VFL contracts aren't going to match anywhere near that and if ours did we'd be in deep goo concerning draft tampering. In fact even letting him play in the 2s would look dodgy as hell.

And there's 2 reasons we can't guarantee him a spot a year later.

1. If we got caught we could kiss goodbye to draft choices for another few years.

2. It would be silly. What if something unforeseen occurred or he went backwards.

I hope we get him and I hope that a round 3 pick is enough. If not, it's just stiff cheddar.

Imagine if Joe was part of this years draft!

In 2011Draftees got 2 year contracts with guaranteed wages of 56,000 and big bonuses if they play games(Might be more now). That's good money for an 18 year old. VFL contracts aren't going to match anywhere near that and if ours did we'd be in deep goo concerning draft tampering. In fact even letting him play in the 2s would look dodgy as hell.

And there's 2 reasons we can't guarantee him a spot a year later.

1. If we got caught we could kiss goodbye to draft choices for another few years.

2. It would be silly. What if something unforeseen occurred or he went backwards.

I hope we get him and I hope that a round 3 pick is enough. If not, it's just stiff cheddar.

I don't think you understand how good this kid could be and how much it would hurt if he was for another club.

Of course he could be rubbish.