Favourite Album For Each Year Of The 2000s

What a mixture of music i used to listen back to in High School from this era. Let’s see if those albums still rate highly, or I discovered better music at a later date!

2000 At the Drive-In - Relationship of Command
2001 Jay-Z - The Blueprint
2002 The Mountain Goats - All Hail West Texas
2003 AFI - Sing the Sorrow
2004 Alexisonfire - Watch Out!
2005 Andrew Bird - The Mysterious Production of Eggs
2006 Alexisonfire - Crisis
2007 The Field - From Here We Go Sublime
2008 City and Colour - Bring Me Your Love
2009 Death - …For the Whole World to See (If anyone has not seen the documentary for this band, “A Band Called Death” it is fantastic as they were one of the original Punk bands who didn’t have their first album released properly til this year)

3 Likes

Best by a country mile that year.

1 Like

F*ck me. I forgot how bad music was in the late 2000’s. Seriously lean years for Rock’n Roll music. There wasn’t much going on other than the local scene. hence The Drones & Eddy Current.

00 At The Drive In - Relationship of command
01 McClusky - McClusky do Dallas
02 Flaming Lips - Yoshimi battles Pink Robots
03 Turbonegro - Scandinavian Leather
04 Hot Snakes - Audit in Progress
05 The Hellacopters - Rock’n Roll is dead
06 The Drones - Gala Mill
07 Eddy Current Suppression Ring - Primary Colours
08 The Bronx - The Bronx III
09 The Black Lips - 200 Million Thousand

1 Like

Discogs has it as 2002. Just in case you had another ‘01 you wanted to list :wink:

Haha. I actually seen them in 2002 at Meredith MF. So I assumed it was released that year.

1 Like

[quote=“Killer_Mike, post:5, topic:12288, full:true”]
2001 - Daft Punk: Discovery

First and still the best.

Almost right, they dropped Homework in 1997 which is their first and still the best

2 Likes

Right you are. It was popular on release also. Maybe not so much here.

The whole discography is amazing.

2 Likes

Loved this album of weirdness!

3 Likes

Seriously underrated.

Probably one of the greatest albums of all time.

If it had come out in the early 90’s it would be rated as such.

1 Like

Cool…I’ve not come across many people who even know this album :slight_smile:

1 Like

2000 A Place Called Home - Ignite

2001 Lateralus - Tool

2002 Perseverance - Hatebreed

2003 The Bronx - The Bronx

2004 Exile in Oblivion - Strung Out

2005 Potemkin City Limits - Propagandhi

2006 Sound of the Republic - Raised Fist

2007 Career Suicide - A Wilhelm Scream

2008 From The Bottom - Off With Their Heads

2009 N/A. Gallows or Propagandhi at a stretch.

2 Likes

2000 Kasey Chambers - The Captain
2001 Soundtrack - Moulin Rouge
2002 Lemon Jelly - Lost Horizons /
Sinéad O’Connor- Sean-Nos Nua (tied)
2003 Evanescence - Fallen
2004 Alanis Morissette - So-called Chaos
2005 Brad Paisley - Time Well Wasted
2006 Trace Adkins - Dangerous Man
2007 Robert Plant and Alison Kraus - Raising Sand
2008 George Strait - Troubadour
2009 - Lily Allen - It’s not me, it’s you

2 Likes

It would probably get a spot in my top 10 favourite albums full stop and vies with Endless Forms Most Beautiful as my favourite Nightwish album.
Actually, funnily enough my favourite Nightwish work(s) is all post-Tarja

I agree with just about all you said…except this is easily my favourite Nightwish album

1 Like

Ah, the 00’s. The decade that gave us Coldplay (yeah, cheers for that…), a raft of bog-ordinary two-piece (guitar/drums) bands and the advent of boast-rap. The decade where the album format began to die, my interest in new music declined rapidly (particularly after 2006) and I started buying more European music (finding they were more prone to releasing music which didn’t conform to the current sounds).

I found this decade incredibly hard, because some years just had very little of interest and the album that I’ve nominated as “the best” just ain’t all that good really…

2000: In The Valley Of Dying Stars - Superdrag (such a sadly under-valued band…)
HM: Daisies Of The Galaxy - Eels, The Hour Of Bewilderbeest - Badly Drawn Boy

2001: Bleed American - Jimmy Eat World (the only one of their albums anyone really needs to own)
HM: Size Of The Ocean - Big Heavy Stuff

2002: Maladroit - Weezer (their last album which didn’t contain any embarrassingly bad songs)

2003: Welcome Interstate Managers - Fountains Of Wayne (brilliant pop-rock)
HM: Hail To The Thief - Radiohead, Long Gone Before Daylight - The Cardigans

2004: couldn’t split these two…
A Song Is A City - Eskimo Joe (where they expanded their palette beyond three-minute alt-pop).
Smile - Brian Wilson (no it’s not quite as it was originally intended, but pretty breathtaking nonetheless…)
HM: Hot Fuss - The Killers, American Idiot - Green Day, Any Minute Now - Soulwax

2005: Pocket Revolution - dEUS (a Belgian band that anyone who likes Radiohead & Elbow should know of)
HM: The Back Room - Editors, And The Glass-Handed Kites - Mew, The Loyal - Tiger Lou

2006: Sam’s Town - The Killers (it was all downhill from here, bar the odd single here and there…)

2007: In Rainbows - Radiohead (their last truly great album)
HM: Calling the World - Rooney, At The Ballroom - The Moonbabies, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank - Modest Mouse

2008: Couldn’t split these two…
Pretty. Odd - Panic At The Disco (the emo-rock LP that isn’t - sounds more like Sgt Peppers than anything and is fabulous… Emo-heads hate it - that’s good enough for me!)
A Partial Print - Tiger Lou (intense rock-pop from Sweden)
HM: Book Of Lies - End Of Fashion, My Someday - Blondfire

2009: Black Gives Way To Blue - Alice In Chains (decent return, decent production for a change…)
HM: No More Stories - Mew, Paws - Pull Tiger Tail

3 Likes

This is a solid list. Love all of these albums but have never heard of your 2006 pick (Fratellis). Just added it to my spotify listing.

The Fratellis’ song “Flathead” was absolutely everywhere that year. It might ring a bell when you play it.

Thanks, I’ll look into this. I see the main guy played in 30 Amp Fuse, a 90s pop-punk band I had some stuff of back then.

2001 Gorillaz, Gorillaz

Thats about it for me

1 Like

If nothing else, you’ll see very clearly where Foo Fighters got their template from…
Their previous two albums (Regretfully Yours - an album which I’ve owned for years but only recently got into, and Head Trip In Every Key - which is much more varied and less strictly “rawk” than any of the other material) are well worth a gander too…

1 Like