Favourite Album For Each Year Of The 2010s

It’s really good. Rings of Saturn and Girl in Amber - wow.

I feel like this is an insult to an album but I don’t mean it that way but it’s also an incredible sedative. Whenever I can’t sleep I put this on very quietly on my speakers and I’m always asleep well before the last song.

I feel like this thread is a bit tainted because we can not complete the whole decade, but here we go.
I have significantly listened less to this decade than all that have come before, but there still should be a few classics which pop up. Here we go:

2010 Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2011 La Dispute - Wildlife
2012 Mac DeMarco -2
2013 Danny Brown - Old (What a terrible year for music)
2014 Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
2015 Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2016 A Tribe Called Quest - “We Got It From Here… Thank You 4 Your Service”
2017 Brand New - Science Fiction
2018 … Yet to listen to anything

I love this reply. Shows that in spite of all the old people on Blitz’s thoughts that people are still really connecting with new and interesting music.

Despite being 18 when Nevermind came out I really don’t think that the 90s (or early 90s) was in anyway “special”. Sure there was a lot that has stood up pretty well, but part of me wonders whether that has been about the music, or whether it’s been about the marketing machine realising that there was a way to extract money from music fans who didn’t embrace the mainstream at the time. Or something. I’m not really sure, but I do know that the stuff that was mainstream in the 90s was not the same as the stuff we’ve generally spoken about in here. So I wonder if it becomes self selecting and the prevalence of these 90s albums in discussions is just because those who connected with the music then still care, and those who loved Busta Move just don’t bother being part of the discussion.

But I think it’s fair to say that “I heart 90s radio” plays absolute rubbish music.

Far our, I have no idea what I’m trying to say, but yeah, good to hear that the youngsters today still can connect with the music of today.

1 Like

I’ve done it somehow.
I haven’t listened to much music this decade. Between being really uninspired by music in th 2007-2010 period. There really wasn’t any quality rock’n Roll music around. I remember having an argument with someone at a party in like 2008, that The Drones (at the time) were the Biggest Rock band in Australia. I love the Drones, but they were really the only rock band getting around during that time.

Anyway, with having Children the capacity for listening to music is really not a priority. There’s only really a handful of bands I listen to atm.

10 Violent Soho - Violent Soho
11 Yuck - Yuck
12 F*cked Up - David Comes to Life
13 Wavves - Afraid of Heights
14 Smith Street Band - Throw me in the River
15 METZ - II
16 The Peep Temple - Joy
17 Batpiss - Rest in P|ss

3 Likes

Music is alive and in good hands.

2010 : Big Boi - Sir lucious Leftfoot: The Son of Chico Dusty
Honourable Mention : The-Dream - Love/Hate

2011 : The Weeknd - House of Balloons
Honourable Mention : Watch the Throne

2012 : Kendrick Lamar - Good Kid m.A.A.D. city
Honourable Mention : Killer Mike - R.A.P. Music

2013 : Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
Honourable Mention : Disclosure - Settle

2014 : Run the Jewels - Run the Jewels 2

2015 : Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

2016 : Kevin Gates - Islah

2017 : Sampha - Process
Honourable Mention : Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory / SZA - Ctrl / Kendrick - Damn

2 Likes

Clearly a separate 50s top ten ain’t going to do it for most but I’m reading a brilliant Monk Bio and listen to lots of 50s stuff any way and somehow the top tens are incomplete without the 50s. The 50s gets a bad press for conservatism but IMHO it was a magical decade in music and the arts generally. Hank Williams was reconstructing country, Rock and Roll is basically born, Be Bop continues to flourish and Modernism and modal jazz emerge and John Cage shakes the bars of classical and Avant Garde music. An incredible decade.

1950 Charley Parker with Strings
I picked this LP up in a re- release and took a while to warm to it. Parker and strings seemed a funny fit but it grows on you. Parker was seriously strung out around this time and sticks largely to standards.

1951 The Amazing Bud Powell.
A protégé of Monk, Powell had his demons, but he was a great player.

Hank Williams Moanin the Blues
One of the great writers and paved the way for Elvis and others to follow. This is one of my all time favourite songs.

Anita O’ Day. Collates.

Proved you could be high as a kite and still swing like a instrument. One of the great voices.
The Thelonious Monk Trio
I love everything about Monk, the style, the sound, the mythology but most of all the music.

Frank Sinatra: In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning.
Frank had just been dumped by Ava Gardiner and the suffering did him the world of good because this is his best album.

Duke Ellington Live At Newport.
The album which rejuvenated the Duke’s career and this is the track and the solo that did it.

Thelonious Monk Quartet with John Coltrane Live at Carnegie Hall.
Only just discovered this and it is stunning. It was buried in the Voice Of America’s vaults until 2005.

Chuck Berry: One Dozen Berrys
Chuck reckoned he invented rock and roll which is stretching it, but not by much.

Charles Mingus Ah Hum
So many great albums in 59 but Charles deserves this spot. One of the great composers of the 20th Century and this is arguably his masterwork.
2 Likes

Hey, we can actually complete this thread properly now! I’ve been waiting :joy:

This decade has really been short on quality, but there are a few gems around.

2010: Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
2011: La Dispute - Wildlife
2012: Tame Impala - Lonerism
2013: Uncle Acid - Mind Control
2014: Mac DeMarco - Salad Days
2015: Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly
2016: Psychedelic ■■■■ Crumpets - High Visceral (Part 1)
2017: The Teskey Brothers - Half Mile Harvest
2018: Parquet Courts - Wide Awake!
2019: Amyl and the Sniffers - Amyl and the Sniffers

See you in 10 years!

1 Like

2018 Anthem of the Peaceful Army - Greta Van Fleet

2019 All Is Lost - Dead Feathers

Hehe :rofl:

3 Likes

Hey PP…you should listen to them…I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s a great album…those idiots in DJ King don’t know a good thing when they hear it :wink:

1 Like