Favourite Album For Each Year Of The 80s

Probably missed some as all my filez don’t include release date and I can’t be arsed going through all CD’s.

1980 : Sound Affects - The Jam
Close: Blizzard of Ozz - Ozzy Osbourne

1981: The Evil One - Roky Erickson And The Aliens
Wild-Eyed Southern Boys - 38 Special
Till Deaf Do Us Part - Slade

1982: The Gift - The Jam
The Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Thriller Michael Jackson
Special Forces - 38 Special

1983: Life’s a Riot with Spy vs Spy - Billy Bragg
Introducing The Style Council - The Style Council

1984: The Smiths - The Smiths
Café Bleu - The Style Council
Brewing Up with Billy Bragg - Billy Bragg
Let It Be - The Replacements

1985: Meat Is Murder - The Smiths
Our Favourite Shop - The Style Council

1986: The Queen is Dead - The Smiths
Eatem’ and Smile - David Lee Roth
Don’t Slander Me - Roky Erickson
Talking with the Taxman About Poetry - Billy Bragg
Crowded House - Crowded House

1987: Appetite for Destruction - Guns N 'Roses
Strangeways, Here We Come - The Smiths
Tango In The Night - Fleetwood Mac

1988: Workers Playtime - Billy Bragg
…ish - 1927
Skyscraper - David Lee Roth
…And Justice for All - Metallica

1989: The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses
Skid Row - Skid Row
Kicked & Klawed - Cats In Boots

1 Like

You like 1927? C’mon, mate?

2 Likes

Good call.

True story, Back in the day (1991?) when MUD things were a thing a mate had another mate convinced that he was an attractive American woman called Veronica. Mate #2 was sending “Veronica” letters declaring his desires. Figuring he was safe when talking to an American he liked to use 1927 lyrics, passing them off as his own.

Fair to say once he realised that everyone knew he was fairly mortified.

And everyone learned a lesson about the internet (before www was even a thing)

I was gonna list Jive Bunny but wasn’t sure if compilations were allowed.

1 Like

So I’ve decided to try and do this. It’s quite interesting for me. I was young in 1980, and finishing school by 1990.

I feel for many people this becomes a defining decade, but for me I only really started to find music towards the end of the decade, and have forever considered the decade a bit of a wasteland, in the way people tend to think of stuff from the older generations. I haven’t really ever felt inclined to go back and catch up on stuff. (For example, I really have never rated Bowie because I didn’t bond with 80s Bowie stuff, and because of that I just never really was interested)

So anyway, to do this I went to wikipedia and studied the lists of albums per year. In some years there was nothing that I loved. Particularly in the early years.

1. I would probably suggest the Blues Brothers soundtrack was the most defining stuff for me out of that year, but I have never really known that as an album

1982 : Thriller - Michael Jackson. Did I love this? Not sure, but I still know all the tracks. I reckon it deserves a place

1984 : All over the Place - The Bangles. I think I came to this in about 86, and I still love it today, although I’ve only ever had it on tape, and it seems unavailable anywhere. Pop genius.

1985 : Listen Like Thieves - INXS. I loved INXS in the mid 80s. Nothing else from that time really stood out as even in competition

1986 : They Might Be Giants - They Might Be Gants. I came to love TMBG in about 89, and this album along with Lincoln and Flood was the core of the stuff that defines that period. So many good tracks on this. Only real other option was The Bangles’ Different Light

1987 Kick - INXS. I loved this so much at the time. Listening now there’s a bunch of filler (Tiny Daggers for example) but still it was meaningful to 14yo me.

1988 Green - REM. This was one of the most difficult years for me to choose. Options that I haven’t seen elsewhere included TMBG’s Lincoln, Living Color’s Vivid, and The Go-Betweens and then there were the obvious ones as well. But Green meant a lot to me, and I still rate it.

1989 The Big Don’t Argue - Weddings Parties Anything. I thought I was going to go another way here. Either Doolittle, or Neneh Cherry, but realistically Weddings is just one of those bands that has been massive in my life (especially their legendary christmas shows). And Tale they Won’t Believe is central.

That was weird, and a really strange process. I found a lot of my early 80s memories are around individual pop songs (Karma Chameleon!!), and then as I grew albums started to matter. But the albums I most loved I found later in the 80s, and pretty much none of them will mean as much to me as albms from the 90s. But the fact that WPA got the gig in 89 was instructive as in the future I would come to love live performances and ‘the moment’ even more than the albums from many of my favourite acts.

I look forward to the 90s version. And am totally worried that I’m going to miss something critical to my own definition of self.

5 Likes

I thought the eighties would be most difficult, but I think particularly the early to mid-nineties will be nuts.

2 Likes

I’m already working on my 90s one. Those first few years are nuts.

3 Likes

What’s your favourite Jam album? I always viewed them as a strong singles band and thought the albums had plenty of filler. I went back to them all recently and really love Sound Affects all the way through.

Probably All Mod Cons.

I do have the Direction Reaction Creation box set so skip some songs if i load them into a playlist. I do like some of the covers like Heatwave and Batman.

1 Like

Like Setting Sons myself, but swap out the album version of Smithers Jones for the single version.

Similar to others, too many for certain years and struggling to find one for other years, Some were favourites at the time, others visited some time later:

1. Back In Black - ACDC

2. Place Without a Postcard

3. Circus Animals - Cold Chisel

4. Synchronicity - Police

5. Born in the USA - Bruce Springsteen

6. Scarecrow - John Cougar Mellencamp

7. AO Mod TV Vers - Spy v Spy

1987 - Appetite for Destruction - Guns’n’Roses

1988 - Nothing’s Shocking - Jane’s Addiction

1989 - The Real Thing - Faith No More

90s is going to be damn tough

2 Likes

Finally Slippery got a mention! I turned 9yo that year and it changed my life. Still love that album like no other.

1980: Back in Black - ACDC
1981: Movement - New Order
1982: 1981-Factus 8-1982 - New Order [mentions to 1999 by the artist formerly known as a sly stone tribute act, and Lexicon of Love - ABC]
1983: Violent Femmes - Violent Femmes [very stiff Power Corruption & Lies - New Order].
1984: Rattlesnakes - Lloyd Cole and the Commotions
1985: Psychocandy - Jesus & Mary Chain
1986: Graceland - Paul Simon
1987: Joshua Tree - U2 [mention Lion & the Cobra - Sinead O’Connor]
1988: Conscience - Womack & Womack [mention Straight Outta Compton - NWA]
1989: Stone Roses - Stone Roses [mentions 3 Feet High and Rising - De La Soul, and Club Classics vol 1 - Soul II Soul]

4 Likes

1983 blank! - If you weren’t exposed to the Violent Femmes when you were around 15 you should find someone to sue for neglect. Add It Up is the quintessential song for teenage boys.

I will give you one of my 2 most memorable concert moments. Violent Femmes at the Jump Club in Collingwood - either 1983 or 1984. Packed crowd of about 1,000 people, about half of them looked under age. Three guys on stage with only acoustic instruments creating an amazing racket. They basically just ripped through their first and only album - but what was amazing was that everyone there, knew every word to every song. This was surprising since the band hadn’t had much commercial air-play in Oz, but all these people had already bought the album and thrashed it so they knew it all. They not only knew every word - but sang every word with as much gusto as they could. So the band was great, but the crowd performance of all these kids was what made it so memorable.

4 Likes

Fair point. I was very aware of the Violent Femmes in about 1985 as a 12yo, but declined to put it in my list because although I loved a bunch of the songs off the album (Blister in the Sun, Add it Up, Kiss Off, Gone Daddy Gone) it was always a step away for me. There are songs on there that I just don’t know, and that was my line. I figured I couldn’t put it on my list if I couldn’t remember every track!

But I’ve had many a discussion about why Reality Bites couldn’t be a gen X movie, because if it was they wouldn’t have given a sh*t about My Sharona, but that if Blister In The Sun had played in the convenience store…

1 Like

Ahh now this is a decade I know well. These were the albums I spun most in those years as opposed to greats such as The Chameleons which I discovered only recently.

1980 Split Enz - True Colors
I had the freaky laser etched album which to my 11 year old eyes was the coolest thing I’d ever seen. Has aged surprisingly well thanks to a distinct lack of 80’s tomfoolery in the production. Top to bottom cracking selection of songs.

1981 Flowers - Icehouse
Iva Davies before the regrettable mullet and long jacket period when he penned two stone cold new wave classics in Can’t Help Myself and We Can Get Together. So much better then the overplayed and monotonous Great Southern Land.

1982 Dexys Midnight Runners - Too Rye Aye
Can’t go wrong with either of the three albums. Kim Jong-il would have been a more diplomatic band leader than Kevin Rowland but the results are hard to argue with. This is the only album my wife and I shared in our collections (she only had this and a 12" of Listen to Your Heart by Roxette) when we met so thats as good as reason as any to slot it in here.

1983 Big Country - The Crossing
RIP Stuart Adamson another victim of the black dog. I thrashed this on the strength of the single but the rest of it is epic in a way U2 only dreamed of. The follow up is also very under-appreciated but the law of diminishing returns kicks in after that.

1984 Hoodoo Gurus - Stoneage Romeos
I was I was a Kamikaze Pilot they gave me a plane …I couldn’t fly it…= garage rock genius

1985 Hounds of Love - Kate Bush
If Cloudbusting were the only song on there with a 30 minute cover of Revolution #9 it would still be near top of the list, but thankfully there is a lot more gold on offer than that.

1986 The Go-Betweens - Liberty Belle and the Black Diamond Express
The year I hit university and the big smoke. The Go-Between were my gateway drug into the wonders of the independent music scene. An unhealthy obsession with The Smiths and Orange Juice soon followed. Robert Forster’s book “Grant and I” is a highly recommended read. XTC , The Smiths and Billy Bragg all released arguably their best albums in 1986. Great year for classic albums.

1987 The Chills - Brave Words
Every review of this mentions the production with good reason. It sounds like they covered the band under a giant duvet and then hit record. Those songs though…

1988 The Waterboys - Fisherman’s Blues
Probably should be 16 Lovers Lane by The Go Betweens but this album is one of those that you go to when you need reassurance that the world is not such a ■■■■■■ place after all + I already slotted The Go Betweens in for 1986. The 5 CD box set is a bit of overkill though.

1989 The Stone Roses - self titled
Ian Brown live should be the dictionary definition of tone deaf. He cleared an outdoor festival I attended in Germany faster than any act I’d seen before or since but this is just a gobsmackingly brilliant piece of work.

Whew, not sure how I couldn’t have slotted in Elvis Costello somewhere in the early 80’s but truth be told I came to him much later. A great decade to wrap yourself in music though.

6 Likes

I almost chose Big Country for ‘83. Great album. Edit: The Chameleons’ Script Of the Bridge also.

1980 Cold Chisel - East
1981 AC/DC - Back In Black
1982 Michael Jackson - Thriller
1983 Huey Lewis & The News - Sports
1984 Van Halen - 1984
1985 Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
1987 The Replacements - Pleased To Meet Me
1988 NWA - Straight Outta Compton
1989 Beastie Boys - Paul’s Boutique

Can’t choose between Graceland and Master of Puppets for 1986

Also apologies to Joshua Tree

3 Likes

I think I wouldn’t have appreciated The Chameleons back then but I sure as hell do now, those first three albums are all so strong. The Sound is also another late discovery for me which mine a similar turf but are also really under heard. The Horrors are probably the closest contemporaries to that sound today but to me they don’t quite hit the same peaks nearly as consistently as the other two.

Yeah, Editors are another who almost get there but don’t quite, when I hear The Chameleons “Nostalgia” and how well it nails a straight up anthemic post-punk number it renders all the noughties bands almost redundant for me, haha. I tried The Sound too, but found them to be just ok. Modern Eon and early Modern English are two more from that same period that I really dig.

1 Like