Favourite Boom Crash Opera Song

I really like a lot of their songs, but Her Charity appeals to me the most.

The title suggests a woman's virtue but it's actually about beauty contests (and there's the other thing, it's directly about something), putting you off-step straight away.

It's snarky, and I'm pretty snarky, but the music is so positive, almost sort of victorious while Ryder's being a smartarse all the way through it.

No love for Hands up in The Air?

Close second for mine.

It's top four or five for mine.

Particularly like the remix.

But then I like Gimme, and I don't think many other people do.

Dale Ryder's a chrome dome nowadays.

Went with Onion Skin. Richard Pleasance later did a fine solo album called Galleon which l reviewed for a student newspaper around 1990. 

I saw them the night of the 1985 Premiership.

They opened for The Models.

Upstairs at The Esplanade Hotel in StKilda

That was a pretty good day, thinking back on it.

That was before they had released an album, what was it like?

They were pretty good.

I remember talking them up to a friend who worked at The Herald as an entertainment writer.

She was like "oh everyone's talking about them, they're going to be huge".

No love for Hands up in The Air?
Close second for mine.

It's top four or five for mine.
Particularly like the remix.
But then I like Gimme, and I don't think many other people do.
I'm Gimme fan. It's a close second to Onion Skin.

Dale Ryder's a chrome dome nowadays.

Yep. Saw him perform at the Kooyong tennis final a couple of years ago. Belted out a few BCO classics and the national anthem. No sign of nodules on his voice box.

Peter Farnan is a musical genius. incredible knowledge of all genres from classical , jazz, rock. Determined to have an individual sound. 

Great poll. Great band too. Love 80s rock - especially Aussie music. Dancing in the storm for me.

My personal fave is an album track called "Axe To Grind".  I like 'em.  They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it cannot be denied that they still, to this day, put on a thoroughly entertaining live show.

Pete Farnan, as well as being a fantastic musician, is a lovely and most accomodating person.  I was chasing a copy of an unreleased BCO song several years back.  He contacted me direct, invited me around to his place for a coffee/chat and loaned me his entire BCO cassette archive to take away and sift through.  By geez, they had a raft of great unreleased stuff in the mid/late 80's.  They should've been huge, but were another casualty of record company politics and bad management.  If Peter ever decided to write a book, it'd be an interesting read...

Onion Skin.

I recall them playing this EVERY saturday night at Odeon (a nightclub in that c---hole ca$ino) circa 2000-2002.

Dale Ryder band? 

Yeah that was probably what they were called. Wasn't bad, I don't mind their songs. Pity I was in the ca$ino at the time.

Great to see the band live on TV this morning!

What did they play?

Saw them at the Northcote Social Club on Sat night just gone.  A good mix of "the hits" (to please both fans and the masses), a couple of new songs (which are decent), a few album tracks and a handful of obscure & unreleased tunes.  A good show as always - immaculate musicians, and Dale's vocal range has held up very well.  Great to see them mixing things up a bit - stops them from effectively being trapped as a BCO covers-band, which must keep it at least a bit interesting for them.

They have a 4CD box (their first 3 albums with bonus tracks, plus an extra CD of previously unreleased stuff) which they are promoting. 

My personal fave is an album track called "Axe To Grind".  I like 'em.  They may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it cannot be denied that they still, to this day, put on a thoroughly entertaining live show.

Pete Farnan, as well as being a fantastic musician, is a lovely and most accomodating person.  I was chasing a copy of an unreleased BCO song several years back.  He contacted me direct, invited me around to his place for a coffee/chat and loaned me his entire BCO cassette archive to take away and sift through.  By geez, they had a raft of great unreleased stuff in the mid/late 80's.  They should've been huge, but were another casualty of record company politics and bad management.  If Peter ever decided to write a book, it'd be an interesting read...

Great story! Sound like a ripping bloke.

What did they play?

Cranked Onion Skin on the Morning Show.  Sounded great, if they tour anywhere near me I'll be there for sure.

BUMP!

Supporting Roxette on their Australian tour in February 2015 :)