Favourite commentary for an essendon goal?

far out i forgot how good this one was! monfires-melksham-bombers!

The Hooker goal also had the Ambrose on Hill tackle!

4 Likes

I still remeber sitting in the carpark of Blackburn K-mart, listening to 3AW during the 2001 comeback against Norf. And (forgive me for this) it was Dwayne saying:

“Its the greatest comeback of all time, by the greatest team of all time!”

2 Likes

Off topic, but talking of Weston, what he said about finally winning a premiership after so many GF losses in his career

2 Likes

Sandy Roberts on Joe Misiti’s goal just on 3QT in the 93 GF:
“He goes for home…he goes for home! And what a way to go!! Catch us, say the Bombers!”

9 Likes

That was a ripper. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

1 Like

Loved the Geelong one also I feel like I know that commentary by heart.

Good one last year in the second GWS game… I really like Hamish McLaughlan as a commentator

5 Likes

One of Bruce’s finer moments calling the 2000 QF:

“Misiti measures it, goes for it, and kicks it!”

5 Likes

“Bewick… whoa ho, the bombers are hot”

4 Likes

I don’t know what year or game, but there was an Ian Robertson piece of commentary…
It was something like…

What can Timmy Watson doooooo oooooo? He can kick a goaaaaaaa lllllll.

There’s also the other 1993 Grand Final Long one…
Take me on, take me on, take me on he says. And he still gets away with it.

Edit… The second one led to a goal I think.

7 Likes

No fan of him at all, but Robert Walls observations and comments in that quarter and in particular the lead up to that goal were so accurate. As unlikely as it seems, he was almost barracking!!
Can’t recall the commentary but Timmy Watson’s leap over the pack to goal in night GF at Waverley in the 80’s was as exciting as Hirdy’s goal v WCE.

3 Likes

Yup! “Away goes chris Daniher!”

Pretty sure it was the night game against Fitzroy in 1993 when we were just starting to make a real charge approaching the midpoint of the season.

Absolutely cracking game.
Remember quite vividly Sam Newman’s special comments (3AW ?) after the game when he said…“they are fair dinkum Finals bound Essendon” !

4 Likes

That whole passage leading to the Mercuri goal in the 93 Prelim was so exciting, and perfectly called by Bruce.

That crowd roar was like an eruption when it sailed over the goal umps hat.

4 Likes

Here you go at 1hr 4min and 10secs…

6 Likes

“Look at this… that brings the house down! Essendon are home in the preliminary final thanks to a goal kicked by Timmy Watson. Graham Cornes shakes his head is disbelief”

10 Likes

You know, I had the same thought. I wonder if he was a little bit, just for that game.

2 Likes

HI HO, ORAZIO!

2 Likes

Did not last long in regard to Hird at least.

paddy Ryder v gold coast

THE BIIIIIIIG BEEEEEEENDERRRRRR

THATS ONE OF THE BIGGEST BENDERS IVE EVER SEEEN!!!

4 Likes