Favourite Essendon player who was disingenuous

Also a bit too non favorite to be anyones favorite player of any kind full stop.

When I thought about it, it’s a very vexed question, … how can you have a fave Disingenuous player??

I suppose in theory you can, … but it’s almost impossible to answer.

Most disingenuous (lying, fake, etc) player ,… yep, … but your FAVORITE one of those?? FMD. How do you …?? Might be all too hard this one. :thinking:

Perhaps the thread title is disingenuous?

1 Like

Bloke on the right comes up when you search for disingenuous on google

5 Likes

Define Essendon “player”…

16 Likes

First up when you google ■■■■ also.

1 Like

Mcflee by a country mile.

tony buhagiar

Kyle Reimers

Russell Robertson

I don’t understand the question

5 Likes

Perhaps you’re looking at this from the wrong angle. Maybe a player who screwed over their club to come TO Ess rather than the other way around. Or a player who draft tampered to get TO Ess, like Kavanagh but good at footy…

2 Likes

Yes, it is a nuanced topic. Well done to spot a new nuance!

Some of us on this thread need to check out the definition of the word “disingenuous.”. Here’s what comes up when you Google it:

adjective: disingenuous

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.
"this journalist was being somewhat disingenuous as well as cynical"
synonyms:  dishonest, deceitful, underhand, underhanded, duplicitous, double-dealing, two-faced, dissembling, insincere, false, lying, untruthful, mendacious… 

Given that definition, I don’t understand how you can have a “favourite player” who is “disingenuous”. You admire your favourites: can you really admire a two-faced, double-dealing prick ?

EDIT: Hell’s bells — @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS beat me to it: he made the same point 11 posts back…

1 Like

As @BLOODSTAINED_DEVILS pointed out, this one is too tricky for some. However, there are [at least] five possible answers:

-the player could have been a favourite before their dishonesty was revealed;

-the poster may confuse “favourite” with “best exemplar” (as they have in the Favourite Indigenous Player thread);

-the player could be well loved but foxing (well done to @Preliminary_Point2 for recognising this one);

-the player could have gamed to come to Essendon (as well pointed out by @Heppelltitis).;

-one could extend the definition of “player” as @SCarey did in what is the most liked post in the thread.

5 Likes

Aahhhhh, … :+1:
So … Heppel (and the Ruse of the Dodgy Groin) then.

Done. :smirk:

1 Like

It could well be a bloke who was known for cutting corners in preseason.
Eg hiding in bushes, catching a tram or taxi, etc when supposedly doing laps of the Tan.
Sure we’ve had a few of them - Van der? Ruckmen of the 60’s & 70’s?

Or who develops a mystery shoulder / arm ailment when confronting weights sessions?

But my vote goes to Billy Duckworth.
Some of his “Who, me?” protests to the umps while his opponent lay shattered and stomped on the ground beside him were truly magic.
And disingenuous.

7 Likes

Shane Strempel by the sound of it

1 Like

Wanganeen, Rioli, Long for me but there’s not much between them.

Was that Fyfe?

Correct

Quality thread. More please. (I’m NOT being sarcastic).

1 Like