Flinders Street pedestrians run over

It’s cool man, injecting rooms are awesome. Don’t question police or Gov policies on here.

Dutton lying through his arze again. Basically ruled out by authorities as a Terror attack… not to this putz apparently.

Political mileage 101. What a deplorable prick it is.

2 Likes

The definition of a terror attack is changing. Inspired by, copycat etc. Reports inspired by the mistreatment of muslims. Just because he’s mentally ill doesnt mean its not terror related. It doesnt have to be your classic jihadi. People are too precious about these terms. They worry that labelling it that automatically equates to all muslims are bad. If its not a terror attack what would you call it.

There’s a lot about this that seems weird.
And vague.

Edit: yes, yes, not unlike this post.

Now, whenever a crime of violence is committed, I want to see reporting of ethnicity by descent and religion in every case, just to square the ledger.

3 Likes

I’m pretty sure the ethnicity of the perpetrator will always be noted in any event that could possibly be a terrorist act.

You think that would bother most people? Bring it on, no issue at all with reporting the full facts of all violent criminals.

Does anyone think if Mormons started knocking on doors & attacking people yelling “Moroni Akbar” that their religion wouldn’t be mentioned? Did the media have any issue singling out the Catholic church over their involvement in paedophilia? If this persons religion &/or ethnicity played any part at all in their motivations to commit violence then why shouldn’t that be part of the story?

2 Likes

If this is an issue anywhere, I would suggest it’s more relevant to violent party-crashers and burglaries.
Not sure I can remember those involved ever being described as white in the media.

Are you seriously suggesting that the media have never used phrases like “the offenders were described as Caucasian appearance”?

I’m not suggesting that at all.
Of course I’ve heard the phrase.
What I’m not suggesting but straight out saying is that I’ve not heard the media pointing out that violent party-crashers were white, or ‘of Caucasian appearance.’

Not sure I’ve heard offenders being described by their faith, other than Muslims. Expect the Royal Commission.

Worth remembering that when he got caught, the (Australian with Greek ancestry) bloke who ran over and killed people in Bourke St earlier in the year claimed to have done it on behalf ISIS - in the same breath as he claimed he was Christian and Nazi. Nobody believes that guy was a hardcore muslim terrorist, he was just full to the brim with ice and hyperaggressive/crazy and ranting like a maniac because of it.

Lindy Chamberlain ring any bells? Its simply nonsense to suggest that the media don’t haven’t or wouldn’t report on any defining characteristic of criminals especially if its connected to their crimes. If Hari Krishnas stopped chanting & started assaulting people do you honestly believe their faith wouldn’t be part of the report?

I have no idea what religion Lindy Chamberlain is.
And I’m old enough to know.

Also, “Its simply nonsense to suggest that the media don’t haven’t or wouldn’t report on any defining characteristic of criminals especially if its connected to their crimes.”

There’s a lot there that needs unpacking.
But generally, you calling it nonsense doesn’t make it so.

The Catholic Church was not singled out in the Royal Commission, the Salvos , Anglicans and Jews also were mentioned. Do not forget that an Anglican Bishop resigned as Governor General because of his dismissiveness of child abuse. It was that there was a greater prevalence of abuse by Catholic clergy

Do you think it was just be termed as Christians who did it though? Or Mormons? Because that difference doesn’t seem to get applied to Islam.

More’s the pity, as if the actual sect ISIS was part of, and the amount of other Muslims they killed was reported by western media, I think they’re be a lot less Muslim terrorists elsewhere in the world.

Yes you are old enough to know so there’s no excuse. It was only the biggest murder case in the countries history & her religion was front & centre of the campaign against her by the media.

I think it was more that people didn’t believe a dingo took her baby.
Her religion was mentioned (and…what? met with fear by some?).
It was not the defining feature.

Edit: Huh. Seventh Day Adventist. There you go.
Obviously had a huge impact on how I thought of them.

I have no doubt at all that if Mormons were committing violent attacks that the media would describe them as Mormons. I agree that Islam is usually grouped as a whole by the media unless of course the story is about violence between say Suni & Shia but I’m advocating for more info not less. I’d be happy if the report stated the criminal was a Suni Muslim or any other details.

I didn’t say it was singled out in the Royal Commission I said it was singled out in the media & it was. I’m not saying that level of media attention & scrutiny is not justified as again I am all for publishing details no matter how politically incorrect they may be.