Flinders Street pedestrians run over

There was some hysteria around the Chamberlains religion, suggestions that the name Azaria meant sacrifice, it was a pretty ugly time and my first real exposure to how the media can influence public opinion.

3 Likes

I recall the Azaria - ‘sacrifice in the wilderness’ thing.
It’s an odd point to bring up, though, in this context.

Someone who wasn’t guilty, whose religion was irrelevant to the crime, JBomber and you are now telling me her religion was sensationalised…

And this is a point for unnecessarily mentioning peoples heritage?

The media went after their religion from the start. They were portrayed as cultists who sacrificed their daughter in a bizarre ritual “Azaria means sacrifice in the desert”. I’d suggest you read Evil Angles or go back through the archives if you have seriously forgotten how significant their faith was in their character assassination by the media.

Nah… just that it was ■■■■■■ really

1 Like

Yes, alright, but what’s your point?
That it happened to another religion, once, forty years ago?
And it was a bad thing then, but now…?

1 Like

My point is that the media don’t care then or now. They will report on a person’s religion, ethnicity, associations, sexual orientation whatever. When criminals are part of a motorcycle gang that is mentioned - I have no problem with that. I don’t think it was particularly wrong of the media to point out Lindy was Seventh day, what i have an issue with was using that to falsely destroy her character. It actually had no connection to the case. If a muslim gets caught robbing a bank I don’t think their religion is relevant. If a muslim tries to kill random people because they believe Allah will reward then then their religion is absolutely relevant.

1 Like

I think I agree with some of what you say.
I’m pretty sure I don’t agree with what’s happening in practice, and particularly about media interest.

I think it’s ■■■■■■ either way mate. We only get 1% of the real news, and that is censored to be PC.
It’s terror or drugs. Terror isn’t always Islam it could be those nutters who campaign against the gays.
I did read some FBI policy notes that specifically state you cannot say Muslim or Islamic terrorists though. This is a government mandate in the usa. Not a media one though.

Sigh, what a ■■■■ fkn place this world can be.

A wise man said it can be better to keep quiet and have everyone think you’re an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

4 Likes

Surely BomberMik is a talkback radio caller

1 Like

Maybe it’s time to look at banning traffic from the Melbourne CBD (the “Square Mile”), except for trams ? Say from 8 am to midnight.

Only if it is different to the majority & they can formulate an “Other” narrative,

Who was the last criminal (other than the child abuse horrors) you heard described as "The white Christian man, … did X"?

Breivik. Maybe if you give me some examples of when white Christian men committed crimes specifically connected with being white, christian or a man & these facts were not part of the narrative? Do you think if the Vegas shooter was a christian who was bringing gods justice on the evil city of Vegas that his motivations would not have been a part of the narrative? If this incident on Flinders involved a man with fundamentalist christian stickers on his car & done while screaming “the wrath of god be upon you” are you actually suggesting that would be suppressed? Whats the problem with reporting on that facts about criminals? If this person is a muslim & he was in any way motivated, inspired by or acted in connection with his religious or political beliefs then they are relevant & it makes it a terrorist attack. If it is a terrorist attack then it should be reported as such regardless.

1 Like

Actually think they’d be doing us all a much better service to not report it even if it was, but instead to say they were mental cases with really small junk who couldn’t keep a woman and suffered severe acne and really bad body odour myself TBH.

I’d rather they seem totally pathetic losers rather than as a hero/martyr or receiving praise from ISIS etc on the web.

Heading home from work, I saw all these ambulances flying past me whilst on the tram in Bourke St.

We won’t let the terrorists change the way we live.
Airport security andfootball game attendance excepted.
As long as we have candles to light and pithy hashtag campaigns we will ovecome.

2 Likes

One of the victims of this senseless act has passed away :cry:

4 Likes

Rats. :cold_sweat: