Football's ridiculous pricing issues

It seems that more and more the football viewing public is gretting treated like **** to view the games for whatever reason.

Yesterday, the AFL, without much notice at all, allowed Geelong and Hawthorn members cheap entry into the AFL Members area, after previously having asked those same members to pay up to $29 more to reserve a seat for the match.

But, this next case takes the cake.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victoria/footy-dad-charged-18-to-take-his-twoweekold-baby-to-afl-match-at-etihad-stadium/story-fni0fit3-1226891521984

Footy dad charged $18 to take his two-week-old baby to AFL match at Etihad stadium
  • Peter Rolfe
  • Herald Sun
  • April 22, 2014 12:00AM

A DAD who took his two-week-old son to an AFL match at Etihad Stadium was outraged to be told he had to buy an $18 seat ticket for the bub.

Point Cook father Jarred Magnabosco said two different Etihad Stadium staff members told him to buy a seat for son Jed, even though he was in a bassinet pram.

Mr Magnabosco, a Western Bulldogs fan, said: “We paid $30 to park at the ground, went to scan our tickets and the girl said, ‘Hang on, have you got a ticket for the child?‘ ‘‘ he said.

“I said, ‘He‘s only two weeks old‘, and she said, ‘It doesn‘t matter, you have to pay $18 no matter what because they have changed the rules‘.‘‘

Jed was eventually admitted for free, but Mr Magnabosco was told he would have to pay a fee in future.

Mr Magnabosco paid about $5500 for Bulldogs coterie group tickets for his family this season.

He said asking parents to pay $18 for babies was “over the top with greed‘‘.

“They‘re ruining football for young families,‘‘ he said.

“I‘m lucky that I can afford to pay but for the people that can‘t it‘s not fair for them.‘‘

Etihad Stadium spokesman Bill Lane admitted staff should not have asked Mr Magnabosco to pay for his baby.

“If a request for payment was made, then it was made in error, and we apologise for the staff member‘s action,‘‘ he said.

“We are also happy to discuss the issue with the affected patron.‘‘

But Mr Magnabosco said the fact a Melbourne mum two weeks ago told the Herald Sun she was asked to pay $18 to take her 17-month-old daughter into Etihad Stadium meant the system was failing.

“They said it wouldn‘t happen again, but it has,‘‘ he said.

AFL spokesman James Tonkin said the league had directed Etihad Stadium to let children under five years into the venue free unless they wanted to occupy a seat, and the AFL would follow up the issue.

“We will follow up again with the stadium to ensure they understand the arrangement,‘‘ he said.

Hundreds of fans flocking to the MCG for yesterday‘s Hawthorn-Geelong blockbuster signed an AFL Fans‘ Association petition calling for the league to scrap the contentious new variable pricing system.

With 2000 of only 5000 remaining tickets sold by 12.30pm yesterday the AFL Reserve was opened up to Hawks and Cats members who still had to pay at least $8.50 for a reserved seat on top of their membership for the “A reserve‘‘ match.

[email protected]

its a bulldog baby. who cares.

"Yesterday, the AFL, without much notice at all, allowed Geelong and Hawthorn members cheap entry into the AFL Members area, after previously having asked those same members to pay up to $29 more to reserve a seat for the match." WTF do you want? The afl finally did something nice by letting those people into the members on the cheap, and you ■■■■■ about it! FFS!

As for the bassinet stuff. Charging admission for a child that age is absurd, but for the bassinet itself - where were they planning on putting it once they got to their seats?

Boot, if the biggest game of the year so far gets downgraded to a second-tier pricing scheme that's a fairly good example of how flawed the new system is.

Boot, if the biggest game of the year so far gets downgraded to a second-tier pricing scheme that's a fairly good example of how flawed the new system is.

I understand all that. Tiered pricing is a sad joke, but that justifies ■■■■■■■■ about some people getting a good break because?

I understand all that. Tiered pricing is a sad joke, but that justifies ■■■■■■■■ about some people getting a good break because?

Boot I agree with you on your point there, But what about those hawks and cats members who had ALREADY paid to upgrade to a reserved seat only then to find out they could have got in for free..

I understand all that. Tiered pricing is a sad joke, but that justifies bitching about some people getting a good break because?

I'll give it a try ;)
I don't see it as bitching about people getting a good break....that is a great outcome....for them at least.
It looks like the AFL are happy to manipulate their shiny new system to suit their agenda. This is hypocritical at best. Shameful at least, and brings their equalisation, transparency and integrity into disrepute. ;)

Boot I agree with you on your point there, But what about those hawks and cats members who had ALREADY paid to upgrade to a reserved seat only then to find out they could have got in for free..

Where in your life contract does it say it's fair?

■■■■ happens. Be happy for those that had a win.

I understand all that. Tiered pricing is a sad joke, but that justifies bitching about some people getting a good break because?

I'll give it a try ;)
I don't see it as bitching about people getting a good break....that is a great outcome....for them at least.
It looks like the AFL are happy to manipulate their shiny new system to suit their agenda. This is hypocritical at best. Shameful at least, and brings their equalisation, transparency and integrity into disrepute. ;)

No ■■■■ Sherlock.

The afl is a corrupt, knee jerk organization. Nothing new there.

Sometimes you go to concerts where you’ve bought tickets full price but because they haven’t sold well they offer half price tickets a day before the concert. It happens.

Maybe they’re experimenting this year with this ticket stuff. It doesn’t look like it’s working well so far so they might scrap it.

Sometimes you go to concerts where you've bought tickets full price but because they haven't sold well they offer half price tickets a day before the concert. It happens.
Maybe they're experimenting this year with this ticket stuff. It doesn't look like it's working well so far so they might scrap it.

congrats em, 7000 career posts.

super stuff that.

Kid is a bit young to be going to footy anyway really.

Ticketing system is a bit of a joke though.

I was in the nosebleeds with my kid 2 months old on Anzac Day 09.

Concur.  Should have left the baby at home.

I'll give it a try ;)
No **** Sherlock.
The afl is a corrupt, knee jerk organization. Nothing new there.

Of course it's not new.....doesn't mean we shouldn't point it out at every opportunity. It's one of the few sports I enjoy ;)

i took little miss ivan who turns 2 in september to numerous games last year and was never charged. haven't made it yet this year because of retarded fixturing (friday/sunday nights) and a family get away over easter.

i took little miss ivan who turns 2 in september to numerous games last year and was never charged. haven't made it yet this year because of retarded fixturing (friday/sunday nights) and a family get away over easter.

taking jr to his first game v cats this year.

slightly concerned after witnessing the results of his first cinema experience yesterday.

(if anyone can tell me if kermit got out of gulag ok i will be grateful)

Crowds are down because people have football fatigue, plain and simple. The ASADA crap as well as the non-stop football media never let things go over the off-season. It honestly feels like the season is 12 months long these days.

I truly believe that we have reached the tipping point and that regular, massive crowds at games will now only be achieved if the season is reduced to 17 rounds. Less football, means every game is worth more, less dead games, bigger crowds.

Signed the family up as members this year and i feel we get screwed over by the ticketing system each round (through the inconsistencies - ie. allowing general public and walk up patrons to enter the game in a 'categorised ticketed section' without having to pay for their seat.

The AFL are so shortsighted in that if you don't allow for the rank and file to attend at reasonable cost and kids are not able to get in, you will lose them. Get the kids interested, let them into the games and this will force parents to be involved thus bringing money into the AFL coffers. The AFL will make more money through Corporate sponsors who will make additional money as well through marketing and advertising to kids (not that I like it..)

If they price families out of attendance (etc. ticket, seat, food, merchandise, parking, parking fines etc), soccer does not need much of a leg up to have a go at the number one sporting position in the country.

Concur.  Should have left the baby at home.

Should have left the baby in the car. Surely the $30 they charge includes child care. How else could they justify that price. Oh wait...