Football's ridiculous pricing issues

Correct me if i'm wrong here but doesn't tiered pricing come into play for the rest of the world when a venue is guaranteed to sell out? If the venue has say 40k but is expecting 100k then sure, mark it up. But if its only expecting 30k then tiered pricing is wrong.

Although the AFL may still pocket a similar amount with 10% less crowd i'm sure the caterers / merch people will start complaining soon.

The tiered pricing is only going to ■■■■ people off.  I can only guess that this idea has come from someone who deals with the Seven Network, because that is exactly how Seven sells their advertising.  It's yield managing.  If I sell the same number of tickets in 2014 to 2013, how do I increase my profits? Simple, yield more from the bigger games and sell the smaller games cheaper.  Cheaper prices on the smaller games might mean more people go to them.  And removing the cost at the last minute? Same as an airline selling the seats cheap late, the game will go ahead no matter if the seats are sold or not, so why not sell them cheap and get something for them.

Logic from a business perspective, but I don't think it'll wash with crowds. 

I'd rather stay at home and watch it in magnificent standard definition on my 3d LED 100 inch flat screen and whinge about the prices thanks.

Fixed.

Correct me if i'm wrong here but doesn't tiered pricing come into play for the rest of the world when a venue is guaranteed to sell out? If the venue has say 40k but is expecting 100k then sure, mark it up. But if its only expecting 30k then tiered pricing is wrong.
Although the AFL may still pocket a similar amount with 10% less crowd i'm sure the caterers / merch people will start complaining soon.

It probably does.
There's only like 2 actual sold out games a season (in a good year) - that's the issue.
It'll get scrapped, no doubt. Sad diehards with nothing else to do keep the ■■■■ games alive, paying a couple of bucks less isn't going to get anyone over the line.

Crowds are down because people have football fatigue, plain and simple. The ASADA crap as well as the non-stop football media never let things go over the off-season. It honestly feels like the season is 12 months long these days.
I truly believe that we have reached the tipping point and that regular, massive crowds at games will now only be achieved if the season is reduced to 17 rounds. Less football, means every game is worth more, less dead games, bigger crowds.

Would be the first time ever in the history of Victoria. Vlad and all his ■■■■ and the pathetic, arrogant fixturing have a lot to do with it. Gotta sell the product, Dees v GWS or whoever they had as the season opener just about summed it up - "we can put on whoever we want, whenever - crowds will still lap it up".
Guess what? No, they won't.
80k for Hawks Cats, stand alone - says it all, they won't get near a sellout this year (other than ANZAC day).
In a public company Vlad would be gone already, along with the awful fixturing & pricing and a lot of other stuff - box office poison.

Crowds are down because people have football fatigue, plain and simple. The ASADA crap as well as the non-stop football media never let things go over the off-season. It honestly feels like the season is 12 months long these days.
I truly believe that we have reached the tipping point and that regular, massive crowds at games will now only be achieved if the season is reduced to 17 rounds. Less football, means every game is worth more, less dead games, bigger crowds.

Would be the first time ever in the history of Victoria. Vlad and all his ■■■■ and the pathetic, arrogant fixturing have a lot to do with it. Gotta sell the product, Dees v GWS or whoever they had as the season opener just about summed it up - "we can put on whoever we want, whenever - crowds will still lap it up".
80k for Hawks Cats, stand alone - says it all, they won't get near a sellout this year (other than ANZAC day).
In a public company Vlad would be gone already, along with the awful fixturing & pricing and a lot of other stuff - box office poison.

Maybe he should take a run at Qantas CEO.

maybe the sport itslef is reaching a point where it cant really grow at a professional level without restructuring the competition or start planning for OS development for 50 years time.

Would be the first time ever in the history of Victoria. Vlad and all his **** and the pathetic, arrogant fixturing have a lot to do with it. Gotta sell the product, Dees v GWS or whoever they had as the season opener just about summed it up - "we can put on whoever we want, whenever - crowds will still lap it up".

Maybe he should take a run at Qantas CEO.

All European stops will now be done at Kabul and our Asian hub is now at Pyongyang Sunan. These places talk like we do.

I spose we should stop going?

They’ve basically gone from 2 to 21 different types of tickets. Ridiculous.

It may not be the cost that keeps people from going, but the confusion with categories, upgrades, two ticket agents, two different I sale dates per month, pre sale sales. But don’t let KB and Denham fool you, ain’t got nothin to do with more ball ups and increase in interchanges, and forcing players to stay in the forward 50 ain’t gonna fix it.

They've basically gone from 2 to 21 different types of tickets. Ridiculous.
It may not be the cost that keeps people from going, but the confusion with categories, upgrades, two ticket agents, two different I sale dates per month, pre sale sales. But don't let KB and Denham fool you, ain't got nothin to do with more ball ups and increase in interchanges, and forcing players to stay in the forward 50 ain't gonna fix it.

Well the game itself us a shocker at present. The scum is crap and the lack of free kicks is the issue.
The cost of going is a disgrace. We have reserved seats but having a beer or two, a pie and all those things that make going to the footy great are over the top. Parking at the G at $10 is OK, $30 at Etihad and now $22 at places around it sucks. We could go on the train, but late night games make this a bot iffy on our line.
All OK when Bombers win, but I was pretty unhappy with the World and had an empty wallet on Sunday.

It may not be the cost that keeps people from going, but the confusion with categories, upgrades, two ticket agents, two different I sale dates per month, pre sale sales. But don't let KB and Denham fool you, ain't got nothin to do with more ball ups and increase in interchanges, and forcing players to stay in the forward 50 ain't gonna fix it.

Well the game itself us a shocker at present. The scum is crap and the lack of free kicks is the issue.
The cost of going is a disgrace. We have reserved seats but having a beer or two, a pie and all those things that make going to the footy great are over the top. Parking at the G at $10 is OK, $30 at Etihad and now $22 at places around it sucks. We could go on the train, but late night games make this a bot iffy on our line.
All OK when Bombers win, but I was pretty unhappy with the World and had an empty wallet on Sunday.

Yeah, I reckon of they paid incorrect disposal for guys placing the ball in the ground, handing it to a team mate when tackled then things might change.
Footy is expensive though, and as my kids start playing sport I'm less likely to justify the $$$$ and not go to matches. You can just buy GA when you need it anyway.

Pretty much. It's a balls up, won't make them money.

Demetriou slams ticket 'stunt'

Outgoing AFL CEO Andrew Demetriou has criticised the president of the AFL Fans' Association

AFL's variable ticketing under investigation

"Anything he can do to get into the paper, he will"

Andrew Demetriou on AFL Fans' Association president Brian Clarke

OUTGOING AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou has taken a swing at the leader of the AFL Fans' Association after the supporter group ramped up its push to overhaul the League's variable ticket pricing system.

It emerged on Thursday night that the AFL's controversial ticketing system was being investigated by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) after an official complaint from fans.

On Friday morning Demetriou lashed out at the support group's president, Brian Clarke, saying the former AFL Queensland employee had an agenda against the League.

Speaking on 3AW radio, he labeled Clarke a disaffected employee who had "caused havoc everywhere he has gone."
"I think this is a bit of a stunt by Clarke and co," Demetriou said.

"I don‘t know what the complaint is, other than we'll cooperate with the ACCC, as we‘ve always done in the past.

"Anything he (Clarke) can do to get into the paper, he will … he‘s been trying to get back into the system for years.”

Demetriou said there was a legitimate role for a fans' association in the AFL, but the group needed to "take a good look at their leadership".

"We cooperate with our supporters, we listen … (but) trotting off to the ACCC about prices, good luck with that one," he said. 

"That's an issue we are addressing, but we're not quite sure if it's an ACCC issue.

"I'm very comfortable with the AFL's view on pricing. We're a very affordable sport.

"I'm comfortable that we're addressing the issue of variable pricing, because it is an issue – it's confusing and complex."

Demetriou also took aim at the Melbourne Cricket Club, labeling it "slow on the uptake".

"They might discover wi-fi soon – a bit of connectivity would be good in the 21st century," he said. 

"They can lift their game too, like all of us."
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-05-23/demetriou-slams-ticket-stunt

This guy is just too much. He bags out the complaint put to the ACCC whilst conceding "I don‘t know what the complaint is, other than we'll cooperate with the ACCC, as we‘ve always done in the past."

So he has no idea what the complaint is about, but while hes at it, he'll character assassinate the head of the AFL Fans' Association.

I don't really care if Vlads views and opinions of this disaffected past employee are true, his organisation is under investigation from the ACCC. When is he going to get it and shut up and let the due process run its course. He loves the sound of his own voice and thinks we all need to know his opinion on all matters.

And to think some corporate organisations want this guy to work for them in positions of influence. Well, if they plan on having him speak on behalf of their organisations in any capacity, they have rocks in their heads. He should be left in a back office without a phone and internet access.

Sorry, which one's the disaffected ex-employee?

Checkmate vlad

I'd rather stay at home and watch it on my 3d LED 100 inch flat screen and whinge about the prices thanks.

Gees...

That's some tv.

Exactly.

Can see some poor supporter lobbing up to a game ‘Simpsons’ style with fake tickets and being told ‘there’s no such team as the spongos’ & ‘your ticket seems to be printed on some kind of cracker’

This ■■■■■ was always going to blow up in the AFLs face.

I'd rather stay at home and watch it on my 3d LED 100 inch flat screen and whinge about the prices thanks.

Gees...
That's some tv.

Yeah, the players would look like lego figures broadcast in SD