Footy department news (Departures, Retention etc)

Cuts everywhere, players getting whacked by the media and ex players

And yet Gil McLachlan didn’t cop any grief for his 20% pay cut

Now he is saying he will take the same pay cut as the players…trying to ingratiate himself.

I wonder how much Tom Hird is getting compared to Gil…Tom loses 50% for example and he’s in trouble financially.

Gil takes a 50% pay cut and he still earning well over 7 figures.

Maybe he could follow Chris Scott’s lead and give it all up…in the interest of the game of course

5 Likes

Spare a thought for all the non-AFL grass roots footy clubs too. Many of them were already on deaths door, I don’t imagine 2020 will help much.

As for the AFL, maybe it’s time to fold a few clubs who can’t turn a profit in the good times.

1 Like

That’s not going to happen…9 games on TV etc etc…money, money, money pouring into the coffers.

We’re more likely to get extra teams than lose any. (to help push up the media rights moneys)

Gil would also have plenty of side ventures and more than enough assets to whether the storm…

As for Tom, half of what he would’ve been earning is still more than what he would have been making as a full time uni student.

The people who’ll be most affected in club land will be the support staff. In lieu of AFL assistance it would be nice to see the players and coaches cut themselves back even further to support the support staffers.

1 Like

How many eyes on screen do you think a match between Norf and GC suns actually draws?

I know that but it’s the players who are getting whacked by the media and some members of the public.

That was the point I was making (or trying to)

It must be enough to keep the media outlets happy or else they would pay up

I think they poured in all their money into buying Marvel.

AFLW has cost them about $100m thus far and hasn’t developed to a point where it drags in any meaningful sponsors or eyeballs so a Foxtel can value it and actually pat the AFL to show AFLW games.

GWS and GCS are less of an issue currently - the 32 (?) extra H&A games they are involved in drove the the last media rights deal higher than it would have been which has meant extra $ for the league.

Real problem is that the AFL itself has about 1,000+ staff (or so I’ve read) and that is very top heavy for the type of organisation it is.

Count the AFLW as a club. We have 19 clubs then being “administered” by 1,000+ AFL staff at an average of about 53 AFL staff for each.

Given each AFL club has its own CEO and administration, that is ridiculous.

You could halve the AFL staff and it would have zero impact on the AFL (or AFLW). What do they all do? Smells like a gravy train to me. It’s almost like the AFL keeps tinkering with the rules so they become more complex so they need more staff and thus build an empire for themselves.

5 Likes

Maybe if the AFL hadn’t poured millions upon millions into the likes of GC who continue to stink and not bring in fans or make money.

The AFL should have to foot the bill for all football department staff who lose their jobs

1 Like

wasn’t there some arrangement where the AFL get to buy Marvel for $1 after a set period of time?

edit: it was actually $30 according to this article (but they bought it 9 years early for $200 million

I work with a relative of a player from another team. He’s injured and due back mid year, I jokingly mentioned the upside of being back for round 2. Not even on his mind. The guy is reportedly devastated, everyone who works to support and train him has been laid off. Really really upset.

1 Like

Don’t think so. Eddie McGuire said there was a commission meeting and there was positive talk about a Tasmanian team, but that is all out the window now and has been put back at least 10 years.

1 Like

I just meant that it’s more likely we will get extra teams as distinct from losing any

Wonder what chances Tom Hird has staying on the list after all this. Won’t lists be cut down to 35?

Just ‘cause some random poster here suggests that should happen doesn’t mean it will happen…

2 Likes

I reckon we should stop using Tom as an example. He is the quintessential trust fund baby.

Place is going a bit stir crazy it seems.

The AFL has been spending big
-Gold Coast
-GWS
-AFLW
-purchase of Marvel
-Gils coke habit

Plus it’s at the worst possible time, they run at a loss from October to March and advance cash to all the clubs during this time.

They would be in massive strife. Just players wages is close to 200 million a year.

If the season is a write off what are they going to do.

1 Like

Gil just signed a new 2 year extension on the TV rights last week.
Under the current deal though the money is stopped whilst no games are being played yet the players are still being paid. If the players take full payment it’s $20m a month so no wonder Gil is trying to get them to take a 70-80% cut

2 Likes

Bye Bye AFLW

3 Likes