Footy violence

Can someone explain to me why Chris Yarran was not charged with assault by the police for punching a happy?

If he did it off the field, he would be jailed. How can we stamp out violence when it is given little importance on the footy field. His hit was a deliberate punch that could have killed.

Ahm…have you noticed that there are a huge number of things that happen on field that don’t go past a footy tribunal? Like…charging and knocking someone on their ■■■■, for example? Telling someone you ■■■■■■ their mum last night? Premeditated assault?

why wasn’t Matthews convicted ? or Barry hall ?

there’s a bit of leway thats given on the footy field, but in reality I think it’s left up to the governing body to make an example of it to stamp it out.
4 weeks and even 8 weeks for Hall doesn’t do ■■■■ however.

It’s funny the AFL’s view on alot of things they justify is wanting to set an example for the lower leagues and underage leagues floating around the country.
Yet umpires still get abused and assaulted in lower leagues, punch on’s still happen, hell teams are ■■■■■■■ smoking crack before games.
So their bury the head in the sand approach and PR spin hasn’t done ■■■■ to changing the lower levels of footy.

but you’re right, if that incident happened on the street, or most places it would be assault, why he’s or others aren’t charged, who knows.

Sporting bodies have priorities, the foremost of which is - self-preservation, exactly like biological systems. Anything that jeopardises this prime, is pushed down the priority ladder as a compromise.

But it is up to the police to give evidence to DPP and then up to them to lay charges. Reckon we need a cop to step up and force the issue.

Really bad look with all the actions on domestic violence.

No excuse at all for hitting someone like Yarran did

I’d be more worried about the violence you see in the stands.

It does happen. A teacher of mine pressed charges for a bloke who king hit him.

Can someone explain to me why Chris Yarran was not charged with assault by the police for punching a happy?

If he did it off the field, he would be jailed. How can we stamp out violence when it is given little importance on the footy field. His hit was a deliberate punch that could have killed.

sort of goes with the territory. boxers seem to get away with it.

although lethal copped some sort of civil/criminal action for bruns didnt he?

sort of goes with the territory. boxers seem to get away with it.

although lethal copped some sort of civil/criminal action for bruns didnt he?

A surprise attack like that would attract legal attention.

Let’s not confuse a punch thrown in a tussle, with a king hit.

No even in the same ballpark as Hall, Vickery etc. Closer to NLM’s punch on Carr.

Sorry bacchus, but this is a seriously over precious thread.

Sporting codes are recognised legally as being able to “police & punish” offenders under their rules.

The only time the police will check in is if someone presses charges or fans get involved. Pressing charges rarely happens as almost all footballers believe that what happens on the field, stays on the field.

It is because the legal system is generally adverse to charging people for what happens in sport.
There is an expectation that in a competitive sport, people might behave in ways contrary to accepted public behaviour.
Therefore there is an assumed risk upon entering a sporting field that someone else might do something they would otherwise be prohibited from doing.
Compounding this is the fact that the sport has its own tribunal, one with powers of investigation and punishment that allows for the legal system to ignore what would otherwise be considered unlawful.
One such example is the legal system’s decision to not intervene in the fraudulent case put together by the AFL and ASADA. In effect, James Hird’s lawyers were right, they have no right to investigate together, however Justice Middleton’s decision was effectively “work it out yourself”.

Well for what it is worth, it part of the problem in our society that we can condone a deliberate punch to the head on a footy field.

Police should have the bills to charge Yarram and put him in jail where he belongs

Let's not confuse a punch thrown in a tussle, with a king hit.

No even in the same ballpark as Hall, Vickery etc. Closer to NLM’s punch on Carr.

So you condone violence

Let's not confuse a punch thrown in a tussle, with a king hit.

So you condone violence

Lol.

I don’t condone filling our prisons with football / hockey / rugby players, and boxers and MMA fighters.

So it is part of a football /hockey/rugby game to punch someone in head.

I may be precious but you are a dill.

If I was a Cop, I would arrest anyone who threw a punch to the gear like Yarran did.

There is no excuse for any violence and Chappy did nothing to warrant that

should go retroactively arrest everyone who played from the 50-90s while you’re at it.

If I was a Cop, I would arrest anyone who threw a punch to the gear like Yarran did.

Well then thank Fark you’re not a cop.

Your thread is sh*t. Deal with it.

Kid put in hospital yesterday after being slugged on the field
Anyone still think hitting someone is ok?

You’re going to need a bigger charge book.