Formal occasions

Shunning you for not praying? That’s harsh. I’m a total athiest, not keen on being told what to think.

I’m a bit either way on the suit. Was better back in the 80s when op shop penguin suits were roughly the cost of getting the last one dry cleaned. But I guess that’s changed… Black tie kind of does mean black tie, but really a dark lounge suit is not like being provocative. If they weren’t happy you could make the effort to get there without forking out $150 to hire or $300 upwards to buy something that qualifies as actual black tie, then you gotta ask what they think is important.

If they were so religious they should go read about the prodigal son. It’s nonsense of course but they were being hypocrites. You should have asked them “where are your finest robes and fattened calf!”

And then go all Withnail, and ask for their finest wine!

Ah, Tasmania. Kind of makes dowry redundant doesn't it?

Yep, post of the day !!!

How extended was the family if your nieces and nephews now hate you?

And it’s a ■■■■■■■ wedding, any suit would have sufficed. Bow tie bullshit, get ■■■■■■. I bet they still had “gourmet pies” and dim sims as appitizers and had a smoke machine and wrapped the bride in streamers.

Shunning you for not praying? That's harsh. I'm a total athiest, not keen on being told what to think.

I’m a bit either way on the suit. Was better back in the 80s when op shop penguin suits were roughly the cost of getting the last one dry cleaned. But I guess that’s changed… Black tie kind of does mean black tie, but really a dark lounge suit is not like being provocative. If they weren’t happy you could make the effort to get there without forking out $150 to hire or $300 upwards to buy something that qualifies as actual black tie, then you gotta ask what they think is important.

If they were so religious they should go read about the prodigal son. It’s nonsense of course but they were being hypocrites. You should have asked them “where are your finest robes and fattened calf!”

Too many lines available.

May I ask what alcohol they had on the table?

And was the main a choice between a steak and a chicken?

You should of worn the bowtie and the dinner suit. It’s a wedding after all. If that’s what they ask you to wear- you should wear it

The not praying and singing- you shouldn’t be made to feel bad about it. As long as you were respectful while they did that, that should be enough. If you were cracking jokes or being stupid then i can understand them being annoyed.

You should of worn the bowtie and the dinner suit. It's a wedding after all. If that's what they ask you to wear- you should wear it

The not praying and singing- you shouldn’t be made to feel bad about it. As long as you were respectful while they did that, that should be enough. If you were cracking jokes or being stupid then i can understand them being annoyed.

Farting in time to the music is frowned on too.

I think I was about the only person, other than notable proddies, who didn’t go to communion at my old dear’s requiem. No-one said anything though. It was a bit rainy that day. They were worried about thunder and lightning hitting the church.

I don’t let anyone else dictate how I should dress, unless they’re paying me to represent them. Nor do I particularly care for the opinion of anyone who is upset by things that don’t affect them or anyone else, which includes what other people choose to wear.

I don't let anyone else dictate how I should dress, unless they're paying me to represent them. Nor do I particularly care for the opinion of anyone who is upset by things that don't affect them or anyone else, which includes what other people choose to wear.
If you're at a wedding and they're paying for you you wear what they ask.
I don't let anyone else dictate how I should dress, unless they're paying me to represent them. Nor do I particularly care for the opinion of anyone who is upset by things that don't affect them or anyone else, which includes what other people choose to wear.

It’s just a bit of basic respect.
But maybe you’re too cool for that.

Then there is the pub dress code: " no shirt, no shoes, no beer"

I’m not suggesting that I’d show up to a wedding in jeans and a tshirt.

Although really it shouldn’t matter if anyone chooses to show up in neon tie die lycra.

I’m not suggesting that I’d show up to a wedding in jeans and a tshirt.

Although really it shouldn’t matter if anyone chooses to show up in neon tie die lycra.

You’re missing the point. It’s not about you. If a dress code is specified on the invitation and you accept the invitation you are accepting the dress code.

If your need for tie dye Lycra is stronger than your need to celebrate something special with your friends/relatives then stay home… they’ll save some money and you can indulge your lyrics fettish to your hearts content.

Tbh the groom burnt me a few years ago relating to a lot of work my work put in to get him expensive mapping info and background stuff to get a project of his up and running. We set it up so he avoided fees as me and another bloke did it on the quiet. No thanks, nothing. As I said it’s all about the farm and subconsciously maybe I thought it goes both ways. Or maybe it was a deep seated fear that I maybe double barrelled up the run way in the near future myself.
No matter, what’s done is done, dowries or not. At least I can be confident I’ll be at the end of the geust list for future events.

What are you wearing right now?

Then there is the pub dress code: " no shirt, no shoes, no beer"

Unless you’re a hot chick. Then you can wear, or not wear whatever you want.

How old are you ?

With an attitude like that I will surprised if you reach 16.

After this episode, it should make it all the more easier for you to politely decline the next invite.

I have a thing about kids being invited to things, particularly weddings. My position is if you are going to invite me, my kids should be welcome too. If you limit that, don’t be dissapointed if I don’t rock up.

I have no issue with people setting whatever limitations they like on events. They are free to set them and guests are free to choose to attend or not. If I accept though, I should respect their wishes as most people here are right in saying.

My problems started after declining to attend. The bad mouthing behind our backs was outrageous. Fark people like that.

Are you Italian, or otherwise European?

My parents, whenever they went to a wedding, used to complain about the Italians always insisting on bringing their kids, even if not invited. To me, only kids in the immediate families would be invited . Definitely not an Anglo-Celtic custom to include kids.

I am, but it’s irrelevant, pretty common now for wogs too.

It’s the whole concept around formal events and people being free to set whatever standards they want and guests being free to choose accordingly.

I would never insist on bringing them and I have attended things without them. But it’s my choice, I shouldn’t have to justify it to anyone afterwards.

After this episode, it should make it all the more easier for you to politely decline the next invite.

I have a thing about kids being invited to things, particularly weddings. My position is if you are going to invite me, my kids should be welcome too. If you limit that, don’t be dissapointed if I don’t rock up.

I have no issue with people setting whatever limitations they like on events. They are free to set them and guests are free to choose to attend or not. If I accept though, I should respect their wishes as most people here are right in saying.

My problems started after declining to attend. The bad mouthing behind our backs was outrageous. Fark people like that.