Former #19 - Shaunye

Never given a decent crack at cementing a spot. Needed games to build consistency. Then there's the coaches favourites who get games when they shouldn't. Go figure. Sliding doors. The Crows (Ricciuto talking him up) were into him big time and he chose Essendon. Hope they pick him up and give him another chance. Reckon he'd flourish in that environment. He's got a lot to offer.

I want to see ATE with his famous writing structure to whip out a:

Been around the world.
Don’t speak their language.
But your booty don’t need explaining
All I really need to understand is.
Will you talk VERDE to me?
Talk VERDE to me.

I never want him to do my drive way if he associates cementing with a decent crack

I can’t understand anyone who says he never got a real chance to flourish. He’s been in the system for 5 years at 2 clubs and hasn’t been able to string any consistent games together. Not even at VFL level. He has all the talent in the world but seems to lack drive and determination. I don’t think it would matter which of the 18 clubs he was at, I just don’t think he’d make it. That said I’d love to seem him get picked up and prove me wrong!

Last VFL game thought he was very good.
He was very good at VFL level all year. it just never translated into AFL. i remember Ego saying in an interview that the VFL relies much more on instinct and talent where as moving into AFL requires alot of zoning, running patterns and just alot more structure in general. some players just might not be able to do that.

His disposal and decision making (both with and without ball) also wasn’t up to scratch.
In one of his AFL games I watched him kick the ball to about 5 opposition players, then watch as an opponent ran past him on a lead, then ended up kicking a goal after an uncontested mark.
He had the physical tools of an AFL player but not much else
Anyway, he’s gone now so good luck to him in the future

Laterz

Just need to drop Kommer and dempsey and the list we be looking ok.

I recall a discussion a couple of seasons ago about the importance of a player’s ability to follow instruction and game plan comprehension. They used a former Richmond high draft pick as an example. Was a brilliantly gifted natural footballer but didn’t understand plays and structures. Was traded to West Coast but didn’t play a game due to the same reasons. Not saying S Edwards was deficient in this area but a sure fire way to not get a game is to not do what your coaches ask of you.

I recall a discussion a couple of seasons ago about the importance of a player's ability to follow instruction and game plan comprehension. They used a former Richmond high draft pick as an example. Was a brilliantly gifted natural footballer but didn't understand plays and and structures. Was traded to West Coast but didn't play a game due to the same reasons. Not saying S Edwards was deficient in this area but a sure fire way to not get a game is to not do what your coaches ask of you.

You’re referring to Oakley-Nicolls. He was a top 10 pick at Richmond and then ended up at West Coast. It was only once he got to West Coast that they realised he was illiterate. Richmond had no idea and hence he had no idea what they were asking of him.

Don’t believe this was an issue with Shaun. I just think the modern game was too structured for him to adjust his natural flair and instincts.

I recall a discussion a couple of seasons ago about the importance of a player's ability to follow instruction and game plan comprehension. They used a former Richmond high draft pick as an example. Was a brilliantly gifted natural footballer but didn't understand plays and and structures. Was traded to West Coast but didn't play a game due to the same reasons. Not saying S Edwards was deficient in this area but a sure fire way to not get a game is to not do what your coaches ask of you.
Great point Diggers.

I felt this is what caused Leroy’s demise as a footballer too.

Had all the tools to be the player that we needed him to be for us at the time but I felt that his natural ability got bogged down by him trying to follow the game plan that was being drummed into him and overthinking everything he did on the field, hence him always trying to spot up a better option inside 50 than going for goal himself when the opportunity arose.

Shaunye I believe is a similar type player to Leroy and needed just to go out and play on instinct rather than to think too much whilst out on the ground.

Hope he remains on the VFL list though or goes elsewhere in the VFL as I reckon he’s too good to wallow away in a lower league.

See ya Shaun. Thanks for your time and efforts.

One less bookmark to follow.

Playing at GWS

Arriving at Essendon

Training at Essendon

Playing at Essendon

Winning at Essendon

Playing International Rules

Leaving Essendon

New job defensive coach for Wales

Tbf… wasn’t a great time for a young kid to come to the club. Never really got settled… three coaches during his time at the club and zero stability. That being said… never quite put it together.

Good luck shuan.

It didn’t work out for him but it was a tough time for Shauny between late 2013-2016. A lot of stuff went down in that time at the club, changing coaches and he just didn’t seem to find that drive which took his game to the next level. Provided some highlights but if he couldn’t crack into the team this year and keep his spot, the writing was on the wall.

Good kid who was well liked by his teammates. I wish him all the best for the future!

Arriving at Essendon

Geebus McKenna was skinny! Has put on a ton of beef.

Some interesting comments re. playing to instruction vs playing an flair alone. It is a sad sign of the times that there is no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.

Arriving at Essendon

Some interesting comments re. playing to instruction vs playing an flair alone. It is a sad sign of the times that there is no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.

Disagree completely.
Plenty of players out there who play with flair and play to team instructions eg Rioli, Steve Johnson, Franklin

is flair and instinct jumping up in the air having a fit then getting tackled late in the 4th quarter of a game we were trying to win to ensure we made finals in then subsequently losing it?

Arriving at Essendon

Disagree completely.
Plenty of players out there who play with flair and play to team instructions eg Rioli, Steve Johnson, Franklin

“…no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.”

What part of this don’t you understand?

Arriving at Essendon

Disagree completely.

“…no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.”

What part of this don’t you understand?

whats not mobile, flair and instinct about franklin, rioli and johnson?

they go where ever the ■■■■ they want.

FMD. Are you unable to comprehend basic English language?

You do realise that “…no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.” means playing with those attributes WITHOUT the discipline Franklin, Rioli Johnson et al display?

I’ll make it simple for you two:
Franklin, Rioli Johnson etc. play with instinct AND discipline.
Edwards played with instinct, but not discipline.
It is a shame there wasn’t room for him to play on instinct alone in today’s game.

Arriving at Essendon

So skinny that he’s not even in the picture haha

You might have confused him with Aylett?

Arriving at Essendon

So skinny that he’s not even in the picture…

You might have confused him with Aylett?

I was gonna say that but wasn’t sure if it was a joke I didn’t understand

FMD. Are you unable to comprehend basic English language?

You do realise that “…no longer room in AFL footy for a mobile forward playing on flair and instinct alone.” means playing with those attributes WITHOUT the discipline Franklin, Rioli Johnson et al display?

I’ll make it simple for you two:
Franklin, Rioli Johnson etc. play with instinct AND discipline.
Edwards played with instinct, but not discipline.
It is a shame there wasn’t room for him to play on instinct alone in today’s game.

If you want to get technical then you’re right there’s no place in the game for players like him
And rightly so, as they’re a complete liability even at suburban/country level
(Not that I think such a player was ever successful at AFL level)