Former #19 - Shaunye

Watch the bloke thrive. Never got a decent run of games to prove worth. Dead set star handled poorly by Essendon. Will highlight club deficiencies re: development. Highlight deficiencies in player management. The coaches never truly believed in him. If Hird was still coaching he would've made it. He believed in Shaun's potential. Hope he gets picked up by the Swans. If he does, he'll be a key player for them. Go luck!

Leon Cameron didnt believe in his potential
Bomber Thompson didnt believe in his potential
Worsfold didnt believe in his potential
Hird didnt believe he was good enough to make best 22

see a pattern?

How much potential Horse see

How many chances does the kid need before the penny drops?

You watch he’ll actually be a star now because Sydney.

We’ll see

All he has to do is extract his head from his ■■■■ and he would be a ■■■■■■ good player.
Sad what he is doing to himself.

All he has to do is extract his head from his ■■■■ and he would be a ■■■■■■ good player.

Disagree, imo his disposal by foot is nowhere near AFL level
Has pretty much every other physical/skill tool in his repotoire but unless his kicking suddenly improves he won’t make the grade (neglecting the mental aspect)
Also strikes me as the type of player that looks a million bucks at training and no one can work out why it doesn’t translate to the match

In: SHAUNYE

This is a pretty ■■■■■■ false dichotomy. Is it possible that he works hard, just not hard enough? Not sure the “head in ■■■” is either accurate or necessary

It’s been wierd watching this guy in the VFL.

Most of the game there he is running right into trouble, or trying outside bananas under pressure, or taking three bounces and then stopping to look for a handball, so that you just laugh. And then three monster goals from outside 50 in five minutes to win the game. He can do amazing things, but on the other hand he has been very erratic when it comes to the simple stuff.

Eastie is not wrong about the disposal, which seems to me to come from trying too hard all the time. Maybe Sydney could teach him to turn it down a little?

EDIT - I will say I’m sorry not to be able to see any more of all this

Fwiw it’s not his actual kicking, although he is a bit prone to excessive loft. And it’s not work rate so much, for me. What bothers me is his apparent inability to ‘see’ the right kick. It possible that he has the potential to see the right kick and just needs enough games to be more comfortable/composed at the level, but I’m not sure as it’s something most either have or don’t, rather than work on. Good luck to him, his athleticism is beyond most even at the highest level, so some ingredients are there.

In the vfl semi he got a lot of it but just didn’t do anything of value. He seems to just throw ball on boot and hope for the best.

finish your goosestep and get on a plane to sydney

Never forget that goosestep into a 3 person tackle late in the regular season in a pivotal game where we absolutely needed the win to make finals late in the 4th quarter. for me that was career over.

This is a pretty ■■■■■■ false dichotomy. Is it possible that he works hard, just not hard enough? Not sure the “head in ■■■” is either accurate or necessary

It is absolutely accurate. It’s what killed him at GWS, and what killed him for 3 coaches at EFC. The obvious talent kept getting him chances, and the attitude kept costing him. Needs to grow up big time.

It’s not about how hard he works. It’s about attitude.

Like I said, it’s sad, but it is what it is.

Watch the bloke thrive. Never got a decent run of games to prove worth. Dead set star handled poorly by Essendon. Will highlight club deficiencies re: development. Highlight deficiencies in player management. The coaches never truly believed in him. If Hird was still coaching he would've made it. He believed in Shaun's potential. Hope he gets picked up by the Swans. If he does, he'll be a key player for them. Go luck!

Is “Luck” his nickname?

If so, I say GO LUCK as well.

It's been wierd watching this guy in the VFL.

Most of the game there he is running right into trouble, or trying outside bananas under pressure, or taking three bounces and then stopping to look for a handball, so that you just laugh. And then three monster goals from outside 50 in five minutes to win the game. He can do amazing things, but on the other hand he has been very erratic when it comes to the simple stuff.

Eastie is not wrong about the disposal, which seems to me to come from trying too hard all the time. Maybe Sydney could teach him to turn it down a little?

EDIT - I will say I’m sorry not to be able to see any more of all this

My original post was quite poorly worded - this is more what I was getting at
In a match there are 3 factors in disposal; the ability to kick a football (which Edwards probably has, hence the comment about his training), the ability to make the correct decision and then the ability to execute factor 1 under match pressure. He seems to struggle with the latter 2
He kinda reminds me of a young kid at my old club (Mooroolbark) who went through TAC cup undrafted, but then had Brendan Bolton ringing Clarkson saying he’d found the next Judd until the practise matches rolled round and he had 5 collective disposals over 2 full matches

Leon Cameron didnt believe in his potential
Bomber Thompson didnt believe in his potential
Worsfold didnt believe in his potential
Hird didnt believe he was good enough to make best 22

see a pattern?

Based on what? I reckon all of those guys could see his potential, which is how he’s gotten this far without achieving much at all.

After watching him for three years, his problem is that he was continually over-rated, and the expectations of him were far too high.

If he was given as many chances as some others, and left to play a role, instead of this waiting for him to do something magic then it could have been all different.

I never saw teammates try to bring him into the game to use his pace and skill, so all failed this one.

What do Sydney know about developing players anyway?

After watching him for three years, his problem is that he was continually over-rated, and the expectations of him were far too high.

If he was given as many chances as some others, and left to play a role, instead of this waiting for him to do something magic then it could have been all different.

I never saw teammates try to bring him into the game to use his pace and skill, so all failed this one.

When a player wins the ball, its like your DNA is imprinted on it. You give it to the option thats most likely to succeed . It seems that very often, that option was not Shauny. Alas.

because he’d goosestep into a gang tackle, then try and banana it to a teammate and fail abysmally.