Former #30 Patrick Ryder - we dodged the bullet

Paddy Ryder after signing his four year deal in 2012:
"My contract has been sorted and I am happy to be a Bomber for another four years," Ryder said on Essendon's club show The Hangar.
"I love this place and everyone that's involved in this footy club. I've also got great mates here and coaches I really look up to.
"I'm a big family man and it has always been on my mind about going home and being closer to my family, but I've made the right decision for my family in Melbourne, my partner and also because I know the Essendon Football Club is the place for me to get the best out of myself."

What if a lot of those mates are going or gone

Indeed. The Jetta factor.

And maybe Demps

And Froggy.

Nat Rat.

I'm thinking that is part of Paddy's isssue Ben is refering to.

Not so much ASADA, nor his wife but a changing culture within the club. Maybe the kind of thing that would help him deal with the pressure of this ASADA stuff is disappearing.

Reimers. 

Just like Cramers last year.... Paddy is gone, lets just hope we get some good compensation for him

stop being so negative. Ryder is contracted and we have said we won't trade him

Tippa, Edwards…maybe another recruit…

Purple warrior
Apparently afl clubs offered big contracts to Ryder Hurley, Carlisle and heppell, due to get out contract clause.
It feels like it's us against 17 again.
I think the players will stick fat. And if one goes would enforce a trade.

This get out clause, is being thrown around by the media as it's a fate accompli. For starters the clause has been available for quite years. The only difference now the player becomes an un-restricted free agent. Previous they would go into the draft.

Surely to prove the work environment unsafe, you have to sue for breach of contract. Now that ain't happening before Round 1 next year, in fact it could be in the courts for well over 12 months. Plus he might lose. Plus it would open a can of worms for the AFL. Just can't see Patrick going down this road.

If Patrick does want out then he can't have is cake and eat it. Either he goes to the club of his choice with Essendon being satisfactorily compensated, if not the club say to Patrick we will trade you to the club that gives us the best deal. That could even me a Melbourne based club? Hopefully this scenario will keep Brisbane realisitic in what they offer up.

I believe the EFC does have fair bargaining power. I mean Patrick is contracted.

Roos wants pick 3 for Frawley.
On that basis Ryder is worth this year's pick #1, plus last years #1 pick + a good player ;)

If Richmond were willing to part with a pick in the 20's for Hampson, then what does that make Ryder worth. A lifetime of pick 1's?
back on topic, i don't understand all the fuss about Frawley, good stopper, average forward. And he wants about 600-700K!! no thanks

If frawley is worth 600k how much are Hooker and Hurley worth?

"My contract has been sorted and I am happy to be a Bomber for another four years," Ryder said on Essendon's club show The Hangar.
"I love this place and everyone that's involved in this footy club. I've also got great mates here and coaches I really look up to.
"I'm a big family man and it has always been on my mind about going home and being closer to my family, but I've made the right decision for my family in Melbourne, my partner and also because I know the Essendon Football Club is the place for me to get the best out of myself."

I don't think that's a question that encourages a lot of respect.

If Ryder does go two things Essendon must do:

1. Ensure we obtain adequate compensation

and

2. Tell the AFL that if they do not put a stop to these "other clubs" chasing our contracted players it may be time for us to test the validity of the draft rulings and salary cap constraints they have in place. That is restraint of trade and another court case we will win!

Yes it does have the ability to bring the AFL to its knees and spell the death knell for 6 other clubs but mate if that's what it is going to take to restore order I say full steam ahead!

Would not mind an open cheque book type recruiting policy where the strong survive and the weak fall by the wayside!

A drastic measure I know but when your dealing with scum sometimes you are left with no other options!

neither does a few other things that have gone on over the last 2 years

Nat Rat.

Not so much ASADA, nor his wife but a changing culture within the club. Maybe the kind of thing that would help him deal with the pressure of this ASADA stuff is disappearing.

or just give him some good advice.

Want more than just Rockcliff IMHO. Ruckmen like Paddy do not grow on trees. Ottens was traded for two first-round picks. Paddy deserves more than that.

I keep reading this and there is no way Paddy is worth more than Rockcliff. In fact he's not worth Rockcliff and there is no way we would ever get Rockcliff for Paddy. Rockcliff is a gun.
Are you kidding. You ask any recruiter from any club and they would take Paddy over Rockliff. Players like Paddy are rare indeed. Good ruck, great forward and can play CHB. Every team has multiple mids. Paddy is far more valuable than Rock liff. In fact I agree with earlier post Rockcliff plus a pick
I know a recruiter at a club so I'll ask him. But I'm afraid if you're waiting for Rockcliff to be offered up you'll be waiting a while. They're not giving up their best player for Ryder.
Hopefully Sydney or GWS put up their hand as they've got a lot more for us to work with IMO.

Personally I would take rockcliff for Ryder.
fark, I'd fly Ryder their myself. Do any of you watch this kid play?!?!?! Lol.
Respectfully.

I'm not exactly sure why, but I don't like Rockliff. He seems like a thuggy bad apple to me. Just pulling that outta my ■■■■, but I don't get a good feeling about him.

A few people in here have made the point that the breach of contract clause doesn't come into effect until November 2014.
Can anybody provide me the evidence of this?

I don't know when the rule came in. But I do know that Paddy continued to play on well after the ASADA stuff broke , after the penalties and after the Ziggy report. Did he raise his concerns then that EFC had breached his contract ? No of course not he continued to play on getting paid $500k a year. He has no hope of using the breach of contract clause to walk out IMO
The other thing that I think is important is that the alleged 'governance issues' at EFC were in 2012. Paddy signed a new contract that came into place after the end of the 2012 season. So if I'm reading this correctly his current contract starrted after the alleged governance issues. Therefore I can't see how Paddy can try to enforce a clause to walkout under his current contract when the alleged governance issues occurred during his previous contract. Paddy would have to prove EFC breached his contract after 2012. This I believe would be a very very difficult thing to do.

Not exactly.
It matters less when he signed, and more when he (potentially) realised a grievance.
Disagree. His former contract (up to end of 2012) has expired. Any governance issues occurred during the period covered by that old contract. If Ryder is relying on the governance issues then how can that impact his current/new post 2012 contract? I can't see how you can use the alleged breach of and old/expired contract to envoke a walkout clause in the current (post 2012) contract? They are two separate periods and different legal contracts??

the while issue of the supplements ceap hadn't hit you, so while I personally do.t think the walk out clause will work in general , you can't say oh but you signed a contract after that period of time that is disputed that something fishy went on , so you have no recourse so suck it.
it doesn't work like that. I'd you're unaware of an issue when signing a new contract , then through the le.hth of a contract become aware of of an unsafe work environment ) in general not at essendon) you woulsnt go gosh darn it I signed a contract do I guess I'm stuck here oh well.

Nat Rat.

Kinda what I was getting at, people that perhaps understand him.   People that would  put him at comfort without having to ask etc.Even non football advice is perhaps disappearing for him.

neither does a few other things that have gone on over the last 2 years

And nor does that.

Nat Rat.

Kinda what I was getting at, people that perhaps understand him.   People that would  put him at comfort without having to ask etc.Even non football advice is perhaps disappearing for him.

How does going to Brisbane help that? Not as if just coz they're not at the club any more you aren't allowed to contact them. 

It's interesting how the "it's a job, it's a business" argument on one hand; and the "it's all about your mates" argument on the other hand, shift according to what agenda is being pushed. 

Nat Rat.

How does going to Brisbane help that? Not as if just coz they're not at the club any more you aren't allowed to contact them.
it doesn't, but we are essentially asking him to be loyal to a club that he doesn't feel is reciprocating.

Nat Rat.

it doesn't, but we are essentially asking him to be loyal to a club that he doesn't feel is reciprocating.

Benfti, please explain how Paddy doesn't feel the club has reciprocated his loyalty?

I am genuinely perplexed by this statement given we offered and he signed, a 4 year contract which is about the most overt way a club can show loyalty to a player.

Nat Rat.

Fair enough. I'd like to know more details - which it seems you've got - but I'm getting the feeling you can't really disclose much more.

Thanks for what you have shared though. It's either disappointing that he feels that way, or disappointing that the club aren't providing what he needs. Either way it's disappointing.