Former #30 Patrick Ryder - we dodged the bullet

I'm getting the impression from Ben again (may be very wrong here) may not even be players related. THat there may be the lack of support to  aboriginal players atm.

His references to get Longy on the phone to him  make me think  maybe  thats it too,  as well as his  notes on Paddy being a soft target for ASADA, and perhaps EFC not following up the advice nights well enough. An understanding of the  abriginal community so management can relate to  those players where they are at.

I mentioned to someone last week that ess, after all the work that sheeds did acknowledging indigenous players etc, that we seem to be losing them at the rate of knots. This is just my opinion, don't know if it is correct or not, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill

I'm not sure you get to call 'don't know if it's correct or not' on this.

You can see whether it's correct or not.

These last few pages are doing everyone less favours than the rest of the thread put together, keeping in mind how **** the thread is generally.

As I said it's just something that I have noticed and commented about, yes we don't seem to have many indigenous players at the moment, is it just coincidental or is there a particular reason for it - I don't know, if you know something more, please let me know. I'm not a stirrer

I'm getting the impression from Ben again (may be very wrong here) may not even be players related. THat there may be the lack of support to  aboriginal players atm.

His references to get Longy on the phone to him  make me think  maybe  thats it too,  as well as his  notes on Paddy being a soft target for ASADA, and perhaps EFC not following up the advice nights well enough. An understanding of the  abriginal community so management can relate to  those players where they are at.

I mentioned to someone last week that ess, after all the work that sheeds did acknowledging indigenous players etc, that we seem to be losing them at the rate of knots. This is just my opinion, don't know if it is correct or not, I may be making a mountain out of a molehill

I'm not sure you get to call 'don't know if it's correct or not' on this.

You can see whether it's correct or not.

These last few pages are doing everyone less favours than the rest of the thread put together, keeping in mind how **** the thread is generally.

As I said it's just something that I have noticed and commented about, yes we don't seem to have many indigenous players at the moment, is it just coincidental or is there a particular reason for it - I don't know, if you know something more, please let me know. I'm not a stirrer

Davey- delisted

Jetta- delisted

NatRat- retired

Still have Ryder, Dempsey and Edwards. 

You'd put the decline down to natural attrition rather than anything sinister wouldn't you? 

Definitely not suggesting anything sinister or bad - no way -are there any other players coming through, are there any on the radar we should be looking out for!!, I reckon they bring a certain flair & excitement to our club 

When Paddy was playing 1 good game every 5 games we stuck by him

Never happened. This consistency stuff is crap. Point me to any year where he wasn't good nearly every game and ill give you my house.
2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012
2010-2012 he kicked 65 goals in 59 games. Playing second ruck most if the time, sometimes third when we were playing three guys. Averaged about the 20 h/os still. More touches, marks and tackles a game too.
Was good to very good most games. Just because his talent it elite he gets judged very very hard.

You would bet your house on that?

Obviously…

There isn’t just one reason why Paddy is having second thoughts about staying at Essendon.

• Lack of Aboriginal friends at the club (although the Lions don’t have many more!).
  • Wife wants to go to Brisbane.
  • Paddy is sick of the media crap and just wants to play footy.
  • Both are likely annoyed at ASADA’s scare tactics relating to future children and are still a bit suspect of us (as unfounded as this is, it’s still his kid we are talking about and fair to continually be spooked).

A lot of people are suggesting that Paddy is misguided in his disappointment of the club.

Its not really giving the guy much credit. He knows a hell of a lot more than anyone on here about what happened. 

Id say that if Paddy is unhappy then he has a damn good reason for it. 

I don't think I'd leave my club because a couple of mates have left only to go to another club where I don't have any mates.

Paddy is awesome and we all think he should stay, and is wife to be is a good woman.

A few people in here have made the point that the breach of contract clause doesn't come into effect until November 2014.

Can anybody provide me the evidence of this?

Anybody?

So Paddy goes and becomes the big fish in the little tank that is the Lions, on big $$$, and he doesn’t reckon the pressure will be on him? Please think about this if you are considering a move Paddy!

A few people in here have made the point that the breach of contract clause doesn't come into effect until November 2014.
Can anybody provide me the evidence of this?

Anybody?

Can anyone prove there has been a breach of contract?

No other ruck even comes close to paddy's level of class. 

We all love him and dont want him to go. 

That said, if he decides to go, we need to absolutely smash the ensuing deal (assuming we agree to trade) and set ourselves up. 

Get the bottom 4 clubs involved and get a player and a top pick.

Everything else aside, this will be our one chance to trade quality (which we are always accused of refusing to do) to get some serious quality back. 

I’m not liking where this has gone. I think this thread does Paddy a disservice. I think his own manager has done him a disservice. Chill for a bit, and let Paddy and the club sort it out.

Bomber's comment re Ryder is a bit worrying:
"Hopefully we can convince Paddy to stay".

What a fascinating scenario. Around the time Paddy signed in 2012 I had the impression he wouldn't finish his career at the Bombers. It felt like there were other 'forces' working behind the scenes.
Clearly, where there's smoke ... Ryder has floated the idea of a move. From reports it appears his wife is driving the push. But why run with the story now, on the eve of an important finals game?
Like Tania Hird (talking about her husband), did someone talk to Jess and leak the story to the press? It's possible because I don't think Connors would be that arrogant or stupid enough (drawing attention to himself) to spill the story days out before the final.
Will Paddy stay? I think so but it looks like Hird will need to speak to Jess (if he hasn't already) and allay some of her fears/frustrations given his pivotal role in the players lives and supplements program (expecting the 'best' in the business - which Dank was considered at the time - to work for the club).
Then again there are some people who are so fixed in their decisions/views there may be no changing Jess' mind. Which means Paddy either 'ignores' her wishes or prioritises her needs over his (assuming Paddy wants to stay).
At the end of the day I'll respect Paddy's decision and move on.

Wow.... that might be the single most irresponsible thing anyone's written about this entire saga.

Fark Jess. Paddy giving her a life many can only dream of. She needs to be reasonable.

Fark Jess. Paddy giving her a life many can only dream of. She needs to be reasonable.

You're kidding aren't you ? Taking the Mickey ?

You're kidding aren't you ? Taking the Mickey ?

Yes.

Huge bump but a leopard doesn’t change his spots.

Ryder and Port Adelaide showing signs of cracking

By Kane Cornes

Ken Hinkley has wielded the selection axe at Port Adelaide ahead of Saturday night’s game against top-of-the-table Geelong.

The current consecutive games record holder in the AFL and reigning best and fairest winner Justin Westhoff has paid the price for a lacklustre form line that he has been unable to break.

Since his five-goal haul in Round 1, Westhoff has only slotted four goals and has struggled to have any impact around the ground. Whether the out-of-contract veteran goes on to play into a 14th season next year is now highly questionable.

Youngsters Sam Powell-Pepper and Jarrod Lienert have also been dropped along with ruckman Paddy Ryder, who the club say will be rested, but the truth is he’s been dropped.

The future of Ryder, who is out of contract at the end of this season, and his relationship with Ken Hinkley and the football club is now showing signs of cracking.

Melbourne GM Josh Mahoney still thinks their a chance to play finals - (SEN BREAKFAST)

Copied

With the addition of Scott Lycett to the squad this year, Ryder has been forced to spend 60% of his playing time as a tall forward - a move that hasn’t worked and one that Ryder hasn’t embraced.

He wants to be the number one ruck and is seeking a club that will afford him that opportunity.

Nearly 18% of Ryder’s hitouts have been to advantage this year, a number that Champion Data rates as elite. There are a handful of clubs that could use Ryder’s ruck craft.

Ryder’s management has already asked Port Adelaide for a two-year contract extension for the 31-year-old - a request that was quickly rejected by the club.

At best, the Power are prepared to offer Ryder a one-year, performance-based deal. Ryder is in the top three highest paid players at Port Adelaide this year.

Considering the selection events of this week, the development of young ruckmen Peter Ladhams and Sam Hayes, plus the fact Ryder is unhappy with his playing role in 2019 and his two-year contract request having been rejected - it appears highly likely Ryder will not be at Alberton next year.

Perfect player for the saints, injury riddled, out of form and expensive.

14 Likes

And a complete mercenary, too.

2 Likes