Former #30 Patrick Ryder - we dodged the bullet

Reap what ye sew

8 Likes

WSPHU

,Not

Would rather have Tippa as back up ruck than get Ryder back.

2 Likes

Get him back for sure.

Langford is looking good

3 Likes

Plays his best football as the sole ruck. Looks like he could play more time as a forward. Can’t. We were all saying it last year when they brought in Lycett and, surprise, he can’t play as a forward. I guess he’ll play out his career with his family in the SANFL.

1 Like

Why is this bell-end still listed as our #30?

2 Likes

Through the whole saga we lost a couple of players. I’d happily welcome Melksham or Hibberd back. Same goes with Coyler, Houli, Jenkins… Hell even Carlisle.

There is one person I don’t want back at the club… That person is Paddy. He screwed us over and left purely for money half way through a contract.

17 Likes

Port better be careful or Ryder might have a sook during the week in the lead up to finals( if they make it) and ask for a trade

I still can’t get over that

10 Likes

Perfect place for Ryder would be GWS.
Replace Mummy
dish off down the throats to Coniglio, Kelly and Tarranto
win a premiership late in his career.

He might need to take a paycut though.
So probably ends up at goldcoast playing in the NEAFL.

Fark Ryder and the horse he rode in on.
That is all…

12 Likes

Anyone got a quick run down of what actually happened when he left? I know he didn’t leave on the best of terms, did he hold us to ransom for a trade?

I rate Ryder as a ruckman, I never understood port not wanting to play him as number 1 ruck. Best tap ruckman in the game I reckon. I know it’s sad but I wouldn’t mind if he made up with the club and came back.

2 Likes

Decided to tell the club just before the 2014 finals campaign that he wanted to be traded mid-contract. Threatened the club with litigation if they didnt. Said that his children could be deformed because of the SAGA (was told several times that they wouldn’t be effected). Also claimed he had to go to QLD to be with his wifes family but somehow ended up in SA…

19 Likes

Despite the fact we had significantly better trade offers on the table from Queensland clubs.

1 Like

Also did a front page HS article to turn public opinion against the club.

Also worth mentioning the contract was front loaded - so wanted out just as he was due to be paid less in the remaining years.

11 Likes

Didn’t GWS also have a top 5 pick they were willing to use?

4 Likes

in the week leading up to the final against north he said he was out.
then when pressed, something along supplements program, not sure about health effects of child etc.

But he did play a Ripper game against North. Along with Joey D.

and Ben Brown was awesome too…on Ariel Steinberg.

3 Likes

I mean, is it even clear what was administered? Maybe he was sold a furphy about developmental defects, but the players are entitled to have health concerns.

Could he have left on better terms? Sure, but he was perfectly entitled to be angry at the club, so I don’t begrudge him for it.

1 Like

Sure, but maybe you shouldnt use the health of your children as a bargaining chip to line your pockets.

1 Like