Former #4 Jobe Watson

His poor disposal will be related to fatigue / heavy legs IMO

Been rubbish when he had become excellent at it pre year off.

Good to see he bounced back to at least be a strong contributer however after woeful Crows game.

2 Likes

My sense is that he is looking very fatigued in games and that this may be affecting his kicking. It is going to take his body a while to adjust to the rigours of senior footy not to mention his new diet.

5 Likes

Snap speedy

1 Like

Needs a big steak

7 Likes

Does anyone have a time stamp for where he evaded 2-3 in the punt road pocket? Pretty sure we coughed it up straight after, but I wanted to have another look at it.

I eat lots of steak and I am the dead set worst kick ever

9 Likes

Think people are being overly critical on his disposal, I thought he played well and was quite effective. Not his best game, but nothing to get upset about.
I was far more concerned with Zach’s kicking not being up to his high standards.
I can’t find kicking and handball efficiency separately, but Jobe ran at 68% overall. Compared with Zach’s 52% (and Heppell’s 69%).
Bound to be a difference in the difficulty of kicks attempted, but Jobe doesn’t just go for easy ones.
Add in his 4 clearances (3 centre), 3 rebound 50’s, 3 inside 50’s and 2 goal assists (I assume that’s just the possession directly before the goal), thought it was a more than serviceable game. I’m sure he’ll continue to improve further as the year goes on.

3 Likes

When Westoff broke Jobes collarbone, he came back and was never the same.

How many Anzac Day wins is that for Jobe now?

3 from 12. Or maybe it was 3 before yesterday. Either way it’s rubbish. Stants 3 from 11, Hooker 1 from 6.

Sad, really.

can they keep bucks for 10 years, reckon we’ll go 9 and 1 for it too.

Live at the ground I thought Jobe played a pretty good game - just had a couple of passes cut off by Grundy from kicks that looked perfect off the boot.

1 Like

Yeh I’m the same, after watching the replay I thought “yeh a few duffed kicks, but man his work in tight is still top drawer”. It was no where near as bad as I thought. So clean and fast with his hands.

3 Likes

I thought he was fine live and watching the replay didn’t change that. Grundy chopped off a kick. And he tried to kick too far one time coming out of defense which was turned over (Grundy again maybe?).

It’s like the much maligned Brent Stanton curse at the moment. Fluffed two kicks and that’s disastrous when it really isn’t. Like Stants getting run down from behind once every other game so therefore he can’t do anything right.

2 Likes

Everyone was comfortable that it would take a while for the returning players to hit 100% before the season started, and then 5 games in everyone is losing their minds when its actually true. Goldfish.

12 Likes

I wonder how much relevance his change in diet actually is. I guess we might find out in the second half of the year? Got a touch of the Peter Siddle’s about it…

I think it’s important to remember that Jobe doesn’t have to play that single handed role in the middle now. He is just another cog in the midfield machine rather than having to carry the whole group.
I think his contribution has been good without starring but he is playing his role and that’s all we need from him now.

1 Like

Do you just pitch a tent once all the staff have left?

1 Like

Watson isn’t the player he used to be. A pity, but ultimately not a huge fuss. Just look at how important Scott Thompson has been for Adelaide for the last few years, as an older player. He’s not what he was either. If Watson can continue to win it around the clearances and do a few hand-offs to guys like Fantasia like he did on Tuesday for that goal, then he’s got a place and a role. I think his disposal will probably get a bit better as he gets more match fit, but even if it doesn’t 28 disposals in close is pretty good and pretty damn important.

I’ve not been following the thread, but why would his diet have any impact whatsoever? You don’t think the club has a tonne of nutritionists who would be making sure his diet has everything he needs?

3 Likes