Former #4 Jobe Watson

Suggest some of you rematch ANZAC day game, Jobe was very good and this week he had a shocker.

Sh it happens, and he will bounce back, not done yet. It seems that some expect a champ to be BOG every game !

6 Likes

As long as his heart is still fully committed i am backing him to come good.

1 Like

Play him for the remaining 70% of games, rest him for interstate games etc and then let him choose which game he wants as his farewell.

He is only averaging 70% TOG - life comes at you fast as a post 30 year old midfielder

Unfortunately playing him through poor form and fitness is not going to bring back a brownlow or those lost years.

As far as I am concerned Jobe carried the EFC for years, quite unfairly, and has lost an enormous amount personally from the SAGA.

He gets rested when needed but plays every game he can. He doesnt play VFL.If he is cooked, he can retire this year on his own terms.

Bomber champion and a legend and we need to get around him.

Give him some leeway.

Loyalty is important.

20 Likes

I reckon this game would have taught Jobe a lot about himself physically if he’s the one still making the calls on whether or not he’s fit to play.

As long as he’s managed properly he’ll be fine.

Seriously cannot believe some of the posts here about him. After everything the freaking club put him through over the past four or five years, he stuck fat and never wavered. His form might be patchy here and there but no where near as bad as some are making out. If he needs a rest this week, give him a rest then he comes straight back in and we all support him.

Some of you are just jerks.

13 Likes

yeah stick fat, ya bunch o’ spineless ■■■■■

Too bad we’re not going better through the middle. We could limit his game time, and carry him through if we were a top 6 side.

Unfortunately we need ALL oars in the midfield boat paddling like fark to compete.

Rest for Freo, see how he goes against Cats.

He’s still great at getting a quick handball out but unfortunately that’s it. His awareness is a glaring problem now, kicking is very ordinary and has lost a yard of pace when he was already slow. The year off has killed him and stants

It’s going to be a long, long year for these two I suspect and it’s going to be hard to watch, but one thing people need to accept is if Jobe isn’t playing well, and frankly on form alone Jobe doesn’t deserve a game inthe last 3 weeks, then he must play VFL. The saga is over and we can’t give games to blokes because we think “they deserve it”

1 Like

Expectations of Watson’s role are really unfair. His Brownlow year was 5 years ago, he’s 32 and shouldn’t be required to be in the bests every weekend. It’s a blight on others in the team that he has to bust a gut to make us competitive.

His contemporaries are hodge, Burgoyne, Scott Thompson, Matthew Boyd, Steve j, J McViegh. None of those guys are expected to do the heavy lifting and be best on for the team to be competitive. Watson should only be required to be in the bottom half dozen of the 22. He should be a luxury that is better than a kid and turns back the clock every now and then. The fact he is leading clearances some weeks shows how poor some of our other options are.

2 Likes

I would like to trial Langford in the middle and Jobe permanent forward. Sure Langers isn’t quite ready but he’d get better and better each week. Worth a try I reckon.

7 Likes

The 2 games where has has been exposed for a lack of foot speed were yesterday and v Adelaide, 2 of the quickest teams in the comp. Our problem is we aren’t getting first hands on the ball at stoppages, so automatically you look slow, but in trying to get the ball off the opposition Heppell, Goddard, Jobe, Howlett, etc are not fast. He certainly wasn’t on his own in looking tired and not sharp. For mine he has been very good in 4/6 games, but you put in a poor one off a short break at 32 years old and you’re washed up. Rest him from the Perth trip and let him have an extra week to recover, he will be fine.

1 Like

Thompson has been playing seconds. Other examples are Thomas playing VFL, Mitchell and Lewis traded.

I’m not saying he’s finished BTW. I do think he needs to be better though and hopefully this will come with time. Most of the returning players are taking time to adjust. If it’s more than this then he can’t be gifted games or played on the forward line as this will weaken the side.

He should have been rested this week though.

1 Like

Games at Etihad are generally fast movement games, is it best if we rest Jobe for all future games there?

It’s nothing to do with etihad.

Short break for someone who has already said struggling to get up between games.

Is this the selection committees fault or Jobes pride in not stepping aside?

Should not have played vs Adelaide or Melb

If he was anyone else but Jobe he would be dropped. Its sad to see him like this. It is a brutal game and everyone’s time comes sooner or later. I think Jobe is the kind of bloke, he will pull the plug on himself.

Why do people take feedback on a player as a personal attack?

We all have love for the Jobe. Could he also slot in as a midfield coach?

3 Likes

Serious?

Because everyone was waiting to celebrate his first goal back in the JLT or in round 1 or 2, it was meant to signal his return and ring a bell that would be heard around the world, a big fark you to the AFL.

When Jobe gets within range fans get on their feet in anticipation, or at least they did - I think that moment has passed. At this point in time any cheers will be to say “phew… finally, only took 7(?) games”.

Anyhow, first goal aside, we had all hoped that Jobe would be fitter, happier, more productive after nearly 2 years without footy. He was meant to play better without the media attention and the captaincy etc.

Not Jobe’s fault (or at least not my place to say), but it’s another kick in the guts to fans who hung onto hope that he would be a force on the field, and the disappointment is greater because the team as a whole is struggling based on the Melbourne game.

There is still plenty of time of course, but the fairy tale seems dead at this point.

Probably lucky that he isn’t captain or he would have copped a lot more attention.

Lloydy has his say.

Sorry, but, … fkn Yawn.

Won’t even bother to click.

1 Like