#49 Matt Dea

Goddard. Dea wasn’t great but when you rely on pressure and team defence, Goddards agility and strength is a liability.

2 Likes

Good honest trier, nothing more, nothing less

Will be behind Redman, Ridley, Ambrose and Gleeson next year.

2 Likes

He is a really handy depth player, but shouldn’t be best 22 each week.

Have him stay on as a backup. Gleeson takes his spot next season.

Had a shocker tonight, but overall has been pretty good this season.

3 Likes

How many poor games has he played this year? Overall you’d have to say his season is a positive one

7 Likes

I thought he had a good year! One of the goals Richmond got that involved Dea was a bad leg break.

1 Like

The problem with a lot of players on our list are they either have really good games, or really bad ones.

1 Like

Delist

2 Likes

Dea will give you his best every game, but tonight he was exposed for pace, smarts, strength and balance by a couple of really good players in Caddy and Martin. He should be kept on the list for depth as he can generally hold his own against garden variety small forwards and is only 26. Great clubman and apparently very well liked by the player group too.

In just about any game the players on the winning team look good and the players on the losing team look bad. It’s not an Essendon thing

3 Likes

Why are we wasting a list spot for depth in and area we are over stacked in. Essentially we have two spots to fill in the backline next year. With Gleeson, Redman, Ridley, Francis and McNeice all vying for those spots. Add in goddard too if he plays on.

Delist

3 Likes

I like that he commits absolutely to every contest, but he is a very limited player who plays a position that we have plent of depth. I think he could easily be chopped and would possibly fail to find another suitor.

1 Like

No that is reality. Martin and Caddy got plenty of goals last night on other players as well, where is the criticism of them? It’s like whining when Franklin, Lockett, Fantasia etc. kick a bag, as if anyone can stop them when they’re on.

1 Like

Because right now he’s better than any of them at defence. Which is why he was given first crack at Martin.

3 Likes

Sometimes tough calls have to be made. If he’s the 40th best player on our list next year then ok, our list would be very strong.

Has he been fit? Thought he missed last week.

Had a great year last night aside. More than worth retaining for depth surely; normally very dependable and gutsy as.

5 Likes

If you want to talk about complacency and mediocrity at its finest at EFC, please start at the top of the club and work your way down, rather than starting at close to the bottom attacking someone who would have few people to defend him.

Let us all know how far you get from the very top at EFC before you find a lack of complacency and mediocrity.

Surely the paragon for complacency starts with he who said “I am the perfect man for the job”. As for mediocrity, well please let us know what he had done that is league-leading.

Then work down from there. You will find many more examples of “mediocrity and complacency” even if not at its finest.

1 Like

Yep, still a way to go to reach the top. We are almost good enough to be top 4, but almost isn’t going to get us there. Players have to reach a consistent good level, solid even if not playing well.

I really do not understand te way our backline plays.

Hurley beat Buddy by attacking the ball, vs Saints and also Tigers, Hurley played his man, hence was behind and beaten both weeks, even though newspapers put him in the best players.

Dea was the same, concentrated on the man and both Caddy and Dusty were too good. When he attacks the ball he plays much better.

Conversely, both Saad and Franga play at the ball. Saad is rarely beaten in a contest by his opponents and Francis did well on Caddy when moved into to him by going at the ball.

Is this team rules, Harves coaching or what ?

2 Likes

I think 16 to 17 players are at the right level, but the other 5/6 let the side down with critical errors or poor defensive structures. And those 5/6 are regularly rotating each match.