#49 Matt Dea

Still don’t particularly. He’s been playing reasonably well though overall. Happy for him to succeed and expect he will be part of the future though.

Just get him to a currently struggling club to extend his career for a couple of seasons.
Take whatever modest compensation offered (slight upgrade on a later Pick).

We have ample depth in that position, and most of them need to be playing senior football next year.
This is more a List Management comment, but if the choice was Dea or Baguley, or Dea or Green, we should be going with the small forward.

3 Likes

That of course would never be the situation, so it’s rather irrelevant

Surely we will have a number in mind in terms of how many Draftees to take in, and how many players we are likely to trade in.

A certain number of positions need to be made available on the List.
Tough decisions have to be made sometimes.
I’m only suggesting that if it comes to this, keeping a player in an area of the ground whereby you have less depth, is the right move.

1 Like

Polarising bloke this Dea fella.

Isn’t this currently his exact situation?

2 Likes

if blitz didn’t have diversity we’d all have voted no.

Trade/delist imo

He is borderline but I’d give him another 12 months. Good depth and can play on talls and smalls. I actually reckon he could play tye bagualey rooe better than baguley up forward.

I’d not be surprised if another club came sniffing with a 2 year contract

Would give him a 1 year deal. Got torched against Richmond but apart from that had a good year. Sort of guy you can rely on to come in and do a job when injuries or poor form occur

4 Likes

I would delist him.

We have depth in that area.
And with Neagle and FLetcher potenetially added as defenders think he wont be getting much opportunity.

Would rather Keep Hartley as tall insurance over keeping Dea. We should hang on to Ambrose as that medium/tall strong body depth.

If Gleeson was fit Dea wouldnt be played and with Redman/Ridley improving next year he will struggle for game time.

1 Like

Have you seen Fletcher. He’s about 40 years off being ready for AFL.
Neagle is a totally different type of player.
Hartley is a different position/type as well. Although if you compared the two objectively, the only area where Hartley would be ahead of Dea would be kicking length. Otherwise Dea would have him well covered.
Dea costs us almost literally peanuts, serves us well in the magoos, and can be relied on to perform his role if we need him to in the senior team.

I have no idea what the club will do, but I’d keep him myself.

6 Likes

Would the club not feel so obliged to rookie him if Mason Fletcher was not Dustin’s son?

Will he a long term project like Jake Long?

No idea and yep.

Point being we are potentially drafting more defenders and already have a good complement waiting in the wings
Saad, McKenna, Gleeson, Ridley, Redman, Ambrose, Francis.
Potentially only 3 or 4 of thses guys will be picked each week. I just cant see Dea playing much footy imo.
List spots are tight, I would be happy for him if he got a contract at Saints or Blues etc.

I also think Hartley is in trouble potentially, but there isnt many who can play on the Giant forwards if Hooker goes down - Hawkins, Lynch, Cox etc.

I reckon he’s not in the 6 first in line to be cut from our list so he’ll get another year. Just keeps grinding out an AFL career.

Sloots loves the BIG DEA

1 Like

But Goddard is out the door, and if we do bring in Neagle it will likely be as a rookie to replace McNiece. I think Dea is one of our better options to actually defend (rather than intercept or rebound), and as I value that in a defender I wouldn’t be getting rid of him yet.

I can easily see a situation where either Redman or Ridley (or both) step up and show they can defend as well and rebound better next year, and he becomes surplus. But I don’t see that time yet.

You’d be living in a much lonelier household if you didn’t say that.

1 Like

Good back up.

But main problem for me is he plays like a back up.

And don’t think his game has improved in past 2 seasons.

And I don’t think he’s form is keeping Ridley, Redman etc out of the team - I know limited opportunity and all. No upside left.

Delist and bring in hungry talent with more potential upside.

1 Like