#49 Matt Dea

Would much rather try and re invent him up forward and keep him for another year than keep Long

Thanks for everything Dea

4 Likes

Well ainā€™t this a great big bowl of butts.

Hope they give him a 500k/3 year contract.
Alsoā€¦ Is Rodman playing tall?

Being compared with Rodman wouldnā€™t be a good Korea move.

12 Likes

He was our most reliable defender for a stretch this year. I simply do not understand giving McNeice a contract but not dea. Or even without comparing him, hes worthy of a spot anyway I reckon

9 Likes

Never easy saying goodbye to players who give 100% to the club and supporters.
Best wishes in the future, if he takes on life the way he took on footy heā€™ll have a great journey ahead of him.

1 Like

Count me down as a big fan of his. Disappointed heā€™s gone but understand the call with the depth that we have in his position.

2 Likes

The Victorian Police Force is interviewing people now. My nephew has just passed his psyche test. Next intake early next year I believe.

McNiece was demoted Rookie B. Since no one else can be a Rookie B essentially delisting him and having him play VFL but with the potential to play him in case of an LTI for a cost of $60k or SFA. Smart IMO.

3 Likes

Apart from the fact that Dea and McNiece play totally different roles. And totally different styles. And are totally different.

4 Likes

They accept applications all year round and recruit squads are filled on an order of merit basis. Just more and more go through the Academy when Government announce more funding for additional numbers.

Two Most Courageous awards in his three years at the club sums him up. A big thanks for his efforts, hopefully he gets picked up by another club if he chooses to continue with footy.

12 Likes

Iā€™ve mates who have gone through the police academy recently and others who have gone through fire. Fire is insanely hard to get into. Like 1000 applicants for 20 positions type hard to get into. The bulk of their assessments are designed to cut down the pool of applicants to a manageable number. Police is relatively easy as they are looking for bulk numbers. Someone like Dea would walk into the police academy within 3-6 months.

Thanks Matty
You will always be a champ

I actually like McNeice but I rate dea higher as a general defender in any aspect. I also said even without comparing them. But Iā€™d pick dea yo play over McNeice in a final. In any role

I donā€™t think itā€™s the right decision but it is what it is. I think he still has a lot to offer

1 Like

Yep, I like Dea too.
But he and McNiece arenā€™t in any way going for the same gig.
And realistically, once we gave a new contract to Ambrose, Dea was always going to go.

1 Like

Harsh delisting but the right decision. Deserved another contract based on form but he is a victim of younger players with more upside coming through.

If he is getting games itā€™s ahead of someone like Francis, ridley, gleeson or redman. All of those guys have potential to be 10 year players for us.

Ambrose can handle the key forwards better. Dea a little undersized for that role but always did a great job when asked.

Deserves a spot more than mcneice but mcneice is getting a gig because his mum was born in India. Same reason he got a chance ahead of heppel junior.

If mcneice couldnā€™t be retained as a b list rookie he wouldnā€™t be on the list.

Matt dea can be well and truly proud knowing he gave everything. The club is a better place for his contribution.

6 Likes

Sad to see him go. He gave his all, fearlessly. There was never any doubt as to his commitment. We need men like that.

And if Ambrose breaks down again, who can fill his shoes now ?

Agree on Dea, but Ambrose is backup, so why would you panic over backup for the backup?
And realistically if that happened, someone would have to tighten up, and then we bring in a youngster for a more free flowing role.

The Paddy Ambrose I remember from two seasons ago was best 22ā€¦

1 Like