#49 Matt Dea

Especially when the big Dea is stiff.

Dea is unlucky yes but our list will be better for this decision. The time is now to play the likes of Francis, Redman, Ridley, etc. He was solid but Iā€™d rather the elite stopping ability of Ambrose on those medium to tall forwards.

I think heā€™s a bit stiff. Not by any means a standout but a reliable mark and kick and kept close to his man. To be honest I would have kept him ahead of both McNiece and Jake Long.

Hopefully some other club will pick him up. Heā€™s not young but heā€™s not over the hill either.

3 Likes

If Dea could have been put on the Cat B rookie list like McNiece then you can guarantee heā€™d still be on the list. Unfortunately for him heā€™s not kinda not-quite Indian

2 Likes

Everyone here at BB loves Aaron Francis ā€” and he may well be as good as claimed ā€” but heā€™s only managed 10 games in three years and yet youā€™re all treating him like the New Messiah. Remember what happened to the last New Messiah.

Bottom line we know what Dea can do ā€” we should have kept him, just in caseā€¦

2 Likes

The police.

1 Like

Iā€™m a bit upset and sad at this decision.

When comparing to McNiece, remember McNiece has been moved to the Cat B list (was Cat A list in 2018). McNiece can only be played if there is an LTI. In my mind, thatā€™s saying if it wasnā€™t for the loophole allowing us put him on the Cat B list, heā€™d have been delisted. Break glass in an emergency situation.

So I would note that means McNiece isnā€™t depth, unless/until we have an LTI.

Effectively we now have Ambrose, Ridley, Gleeson, Francis as contenders for the medium defender positions. Assuming none of those arenā€™t playing the Goddard role. Redman as our only main list/Cat A small defender depth. I think given Ambroseā€™s injury concerns, and Redman and Ridleyā€™s not yet proven themselves, there was a space for Dea on the list.

Obviously, draftees could change some of this (e.g. Neagle).

Ambrose was already contracted for next year. He signed a two year contract extension last year.

Youā€™d panic over Ambrose as back-up as heā€™s had a terrible recent injury record. Heā€™s played 21 games at either AFL or VFL level in 2017 and 2018. So heā€™s available less than 50% of the time. And that would be ignoring how long it takes him to get back to speed, which would vary with the injury type.

Given Ambroseā€™s injury history, I do find the idea of him as depth a bit concerning. I think we should have kept Dea.

In 2018 we played with seven defenders, which usually included 2 talls, 2-3 smalls and 2-3 mediums. If you ignore the talls category as locked with Hooker/Hurley and Hartley/Ambrose as depth, and say that McKenna/Saad are locked for the two small roles, you effectively have:

• 3 spots
  • Filled from Francis, Ambrose, Ridley, Redman, Gleeson
  • Ambrose has missed over half the games the last two years. Ignore him and we have one depth player

So our depth is one spare, or two if Ambrose happens to be available. If we have an LTI we can promote McNiece off the Cat B list.

I think thereā€™s space for another defender, but I suppose that may come from the draft. Bit unlucky for Dea though.

You also have McGrath, Guelfi, Baguley and Zerk Thatcher that can be used in defence. Of any role on the field, medium size defenders is the one we could most afford to cut back in.

3 Likes

Zerk Thatcher isnā€™t relevant to this discussion. Heā€™s a tall

1 Like

Uh huh.

1 Like

Francis was in our best few players in the final rounds. Heā€™s arrived.

For all the reliable consistency of Dea heā€™s not a star player nor will ever be. Heā€™s not quick or provides run, and is not damaging by foot.

And also would have had other young players who are ready to impact prioritized ahead of him to play. And add Gleeson being back and Ambrose to that also.

List management obviously felt not required to be kept around if he is many spots back in queue.

Loved what Dea brought to the club whilst we had him. This is just what happens as lists get stronger however & talented youth push up.

1 Like

Zerk is a tall back. Bags is best 22 forward. Guelfi, maybe. McGrath we want to play outside in the midfield, and given Long is the depth in that position there isnā€™t a great argument to move him.

1 Like

Yep, if the Nobby was only counted over the last 4 rounds, then he wouldā€™ve won it.

Itā€™s a stupid assessment, but still a hell of an effort from an inexperienced kid.

Match-winner.

Thought I was ready to post somethingā€¦ not yetā€¦ will try again tomorrow :cry:

7 Likes

I donā€™t think itā€™s a big issue. Modern players are super flexible these days. We have McGrath who can slot into the Goddard midfielder/7th defender role.

I only see 3 of those players you mentioned playing at one time on a given week. Francis, Gleeson and Redman. That leaves Ridley, Ambrose plus other senior players who can play a role. And Iā€™m pretty sure if we we lost 3-4+ backline players to injury then thereā€™s a good chance McNeice would be available.

I know you were spewin about Dea, but trust meā€¦weā€™ve got good backline depth. Itā€™s small forwards/ HF wingers and a ruckman that we need.

2 Likes

Saying we can play McGrath there is just saying weā€™ll weaken the midfield to cover defence. Itā€™s silly, especially when we donā€™t have spare midfield depth (outside Long) that can play a role McGrath does. And heā€™s best 22.

I said only 3 of those players would play. Which leaves depth of 1 + Ambrose, who has played (VFL+AFL) less than 50% of games across the last two years. Add in that two of those have played less than 10 games combined, and that Gleeson missed the entire year injured, and I have no idea when we believe weā€™ll be challenging we havenā€™t kept the mature, experienced Dea who is probably better than all of them (except maybe Ambrose) at actually locking a forward down. It just blows my mind.

Iā€™ve never seen Francis as an alternative to Ambrose, by the way. Ambrose is a medium-sized defender who plays on bigger opponents when needed to; Francis is bigger. Francis is breathing down Hurleyā€™s neckā€¦

3 Likes

So Pears is a fireman and Deaā€™s a policemanā€¦