Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

No ■■■■■■■ way. Stays as a player for one last flag tilt (my preference), or stays as a coach.

1 Like

The article highlights that our list is tight for this end of season. We’ll be cutting a few, we have to given it’s a strong draft:
Of the 2018 contracted players:

• Bags - was likely to be cut, but his deeds in the forward line means it’s just about impossible not to give him another year - this could have implications for BJ
  • Brown - doing good things in the forward line, hard to cut now
  • Coyler (2019) - would be thanking his lucky stars he is contracted to 2019, otherwise he would be gooooneeee!
  • Dea - solid backup to best 22. If Dea is chopped it means that things are soooo tight. Think he gets at least another year
  • Green - hard to find room for him. Goes
  • Hartley - likely to seek a trade for him. Perfect trade candidate might get a third rounder for him, or upgrade an existing pick
  • Lav - a number of clubs are going to be sniffing for him. If the price is right, he may be on his way.
  • Long - it was nice giving you a go, but your dad was well ahead of where you are now.
  • Merret, J - roadkill (kept last year to be sacrificed to the draft gods this year)
  • Stewart - is he achieving the things he needs to be in the 2s? Could be a 50/50 call
    and
  • BJ - how does he fit in with only 3 identified to be cut and 2 offered for low value trades.

And if we keep McKernan, despite potential attractive other offers from other clubs, he would have to be upgraded. Strong draft with 1st round, 2 second rounds + potential picks in from trades means the pressure rises on whether we can keep BJ.

Dea is useful depth for several years. So is Brown.
If we can’t find trades for Lav and Hartley - we could cut Hartley, but we would not cut Lav and BJ would be gone, especially if we keep McKernan.

Goodness knows what we would need to do if we need to upgrade anyone else from the rookie list!

Edit: Missed Looney - comes down to if Draper is ready to be backup to TBC.

It is the first time in a long time there are not more clear cut delistings. Each player has some arguments for them.

Merret and looney the only clear cuts for mine. Others some hard calls need to be made.

2 Likes

There are heaps of players who aren’t part of best 25 or so that could go. Even contracted players.

Freeing up list spots may come down to them being shopped / seeking greater opportunity elsewhere.

This is not to say that they aren’t or can’t be serviceable for us but it’s just reality of what happens as the squad gets stronger.

Normally at this point of the year there are about 8 players which are no brainers. We then get angry at why only 5 were cut. See recontracting of Merret as an example. The current list there are reasons you could keep a lot them.

1 Like

Agreed.

I think one of the kpd is going to have to go. Hartley for example really could hold value to another side & he’d probably play weekly.

We’ve got Brown able to play both ends. Ambrose still there. Zerk coming on quickly. We may even look to see what Stewart can do at the other end at some point.

2 Likes

Yep a few might leave to chase their own opportunities. Smack, Green, Lav, Hartly you could see might get offers.

Kinda think Jerret got a bit of a raw deal coming in when he did, if that was to be his “Last Crack”. We were playing terribly, and in a way exactly opposite to being conducive to his game.

If he was to get a chance with the way we’re playing now, it would make all the difference to how we see him IMO.

1 Like

Sure

And I’ve allways thought he offers more than blitz gives him credit for.

Still shouldn’t be on our list next year though.

1 Like

Smack is staying and has been offered a new contract.

7 Likes

Where has this conclusion that Goddard just walks straight into a coaching role with us come from?

1 Like

I wouldn’t do it myself. I want my assistant coaches bringing in ideas from elsewhere.

2 Likes

How do you know that? Has there been anything publicly confirmed?

McKernan recently given a two year extension.

1 Like

I agree with that.
But he could, if he wanted to, take up a lesser role until he has learned from others. Sort of like Kelly easing into it. It would be a shame to permanently lose his footy brain.

Offered or given?

I think Goddard will need to wait on the trade period to know if there’s a spot for him. The list spots are super tight this year, there’s few clear candidates for delisting. The list is largely made of afl grade players or upcoming youth.

1 Like

Lol that’s a good question… could have swore I read somewhere it was two years but I may be confusing him with Kyle.

1 Like

I’m not keen on him going around again but he deserves better than that. A firm yes or no, not fence sitting.

Yeah, I think he has an offer on the table, but I didn’t hear he signed it.

If I was him, I’d be shopping around and seeing if someone else would offer more for longer.