Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

Well said redbull.

His impact at the club through our darkest years cannot be underestimated. I hold him in the highest esteem for his unflinching commitment to the club during this time. His unheralded role as the ‘untainted’ spokesperson leading the club in the face of a frothing media was something we should never forget.

Oh and he was a damn fine player too - exquisite footskills, a dangerous forward presence in his first couple of years and then an intelligent and creative distributor off the half back line. A club Captain, a best and fairest, 129 games over 6 years - he gave everything he had and will be remembered as one of the great Essendon people.

28 Likes
4 Likes

Being made a life member. Excellent decision by the board.

27 Likes

Hope he tells them to get stuffed …

Why the fark would he do that?
He loves Essendon.

4 Likes

If there was a guy that I’d bend the life membership rules for (one of premiership player/10 years service/150+ games), BJ is the guy. He’s been a rock for us in troubled times. Obviously sad his time with us was not ended on his terms, but that shouldn’t get in the way of the fact that he served the club brilliantly on the field and just as importantly off it. On his Insta pic Woosha was in attendance. If he had any beef with the club, I’d say the coach would’ve been one of those people.

Well done BJ.

26 Likes

Good move by the club, a fitting end to a great career. What a rock he was for us in our most turbulent times. Nothing but respect for BJ Goddard, he is all class.

16 Likes

Class move by the Club. Would love to see him back a the club in some new capacity when the dust settles.

4 Likes

Will coach Essendon one day.

2 Likes

Yep I reckon he just might

Life membership well earned & deserved. Congratulations Brendon.

11 Likes

The coaches box would need to be a pretzel free zone for OH&S reasons.

2 Likes

Don’t think he’ll ever coach tbh. Don’t reckon he has the patience required. if he ever does, it won’t be any time soon.

1 Like

agreed

1 Like

What makes you say that?

Pretzels

Does Clarkson strike you as a patient man? The Scott brothers? Longmire?

6 Likes

Given that what we see on match day is only about 3 % of the time a team would see of the coach during the week, we have a very limited view of what these coaches are like, and how patient they are or aren’t. Not sure how much can be read into their on camera persona during games.

1 Like

Didn’t seem to have the full undivided support of the team re his method of leadership through the year. Not sure he has the patience nor inclination to adapt his methods to suit new kids on the block.

1 Like

Complete interpretation - and selective - give it a rest. Has been publicly stated that this is an inaccuracy, and even if it were not, it has very little to do with the complexity of any relationship, let alone that of a professional football club and the individuals that comprise it.

1 Like