Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

He’s going to predominantly play as a mid, but in this thread it’s being discussed how to deal with Goddard’s missing leadership.

Otherwise the main reasons people consider throwing him back or rotating him there are 1) he won a rising star there 2) he could be like Hodgey 3) Wouldn’t have to run as far if his hammie’s aren’t 100% yet 4) people wanna see their favorite player in the midfield instead.

I don’t think he’d be terrible back there, but so think it would be at the expense of Saad or Connor who offer more in that part of the ground.

How do you define how much experience we need?

None of Hurley, Saad, Connor, Hartley or Ambrose are spring chickens, we’ll be fine.

I we’ll make stupid mistake, but we did that when Fletch Kelley Goddard Hooker Hurley were playing too.

We can’t be too inexperienced or lacking leadership in the backline if we can afford to take Hooker and Hurley out of the leadership group.

We should be fine.

You do realise the players choose the leadership battalion, not the coaches/club?

Where did I say otherwise?

Settle petal, I never said you did, I just asked the question. Many people don’t, and seeing your post seemed to say that structuring the leadership battalion as we have indicates sufficient leadership exists all over the ground, I thought it was a legitimate question. You could have just said yes.

We can’t rely on Connor to lead the backline because nobody can understand him.

6 Likes

I was disappointed to see both Hooker and Hurley voted/taken out of the leadership group and we haven’t really had an explanation why it has been reduced by two.

I would have preferred a forward taken out rather than two senior defenders.

That’s just me though.

The BJ loss in terms of leadership won’t matter much imo.

The Hooker loss however is significant.

Even when we had BJ back, and were playing Hooker forward, it was pretty apparent that we missed having Hooker in the backline.

BJ is going to suffer a bit this week. He really is out of footy. I thought he had a media role this year, but I have not heard any announcements at this point. Maybe he will just play pennant golf for amusement.

I don’t think it’s so much ‘experience’, as ‘leadership’.

Ambrose hasn’t had a full season since 2016, Hartley is miles off senior selection, Ridley will be playing in game 4, Francis game 11, Saad is in his second year with us and hasn’t played heaps of footy with those blokes just yet, whilst McKenna is a gun but has just ticked over 50 games.

Plenty of talent there but it’s easily the part of the ground where we’re the least experienced. Or rather, where the players have had the least amount of time to gel as a unit.

It seems you’re fixated on us having an ordinary defense because we’ve lost Goddard (it’s the Goddard thread) plus Hooker.
I’m just saying chill out, it shouldn’t be a big deal.
You just complained about Saad and McKenna lacking experience, but they bring other things Goddard, and Kelly, and Fletcher lacked.
Ambrose or Harts will never be Hooker in his AA year, but it won’t make that big of a difference.
Hurley has been around long enough and the guys in our back 6 should know how to follow directions.
Our team defense is meant to have changed somewhat, so there’s no knowing how Goddard would respond to that and whether he’d fit into it better than those that remain.
I’ll concede “experience/leadership down back” isn’t going to be a strength on Sunday but it’s hardly going to be a glaring weakness.
I’ve got no issue with Ridley/Guelfi/Francis all playing down back at once either, they didn’t just arrive yesterday.

1 Like

Agree.
BJ’s role down back would have been substantially changed with the 666 centre bounce rule anyway.
How he would have adapted to that we won’t know, but opposition teams were increasingly making him accountable for a man to nullify his positioning. The new starting positions would have exacerbated that at centre bounces.

In general terms of backline leadership it’s a line ball. Do this group know instinctively when to cover for a teammate?
Or are the problems more positional & structurally about rolling up & back to deny space?

Racist.

1 Like

I agree. I think that if BJ’s leadership was held in high regard he would still be playing at the Club.

In fact I would hazard a guess that his leadership is the reason he is not at the club.

Yeah, so you might agree with me, but I don’t agree with you.

BJ isn’t on our list anymore because he lost any speed or agility that he ever had.

His leadership was fine, but I don’t think it would make any difference to our results this year.

I’m only thinking out loud here.

But if BJ was 50/50 physically (speed, agility, kicking) then I would have thought his experience and leadership would have got him across the line for another year. But it didn’t.

I didn’t see too many tears from the younger players when BJ retired. I just wonder if the club decided it didn’t like (want/need) his leadership style anymore and wanted fresh air for Heppell and Merrett et al.

Doubt it’s anything to do with that.

Francis, Ridley & Redman were all at a stage ready to impact.

And BJ was at a stage where his impact was declining.

Whilst their output might not have been at the still consistent level he was yet it’s just one of those tough list management decisions.

On top of that we needed cap space for Shiel once he had confirmed he wanted to come to EFC

3 Likes

That’s a mighty slender branch you’ve climbed out on there, partner.

8 Likes