Former #9 Brendon James Goddard

lol mate, read what I wrote.

I never said that I think we have an ordinary defence, I said that we have the talent back there BUT we also lack experience and leadership at the moment with Goddard leaving and Hooker unavailable. All of which you eventually agreed with.

Agree with all of this.

I think it would have been a tough decision but we had to start playing Francis and others for our future, and Goddard wasn’t going to play VFL.

Ok, let’s agree to agree then. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Already from the JLT you can see we definitely lacked BJ’s actual caring about winning games of footy, or basic pride in yourself of not being made to look like the wooden spooners ■■■■■

Sure the laziest ■■■■■ on our list are happy he’s gone.

1 Like

Um. Goddard had a nightmare when we played the Blues last season. They singled him out and he didn’t handle it well at all. I absolutely love the guy but don’t blame his absence on us losing a practice match.

1 Like

You guys are drawing a long bow by suggesting that the young players didn’t care or are happy that Goddard is gone.

2 Likes

Don’t underestimate the importance of Gleeson in our defensive setup, not only does he play a versatile intercepting game but he also directs his teammates well.

He and Hooker both being absent leaves a big hole in experience and leadership. Add Baguley and Dea as two more experienced ‘regulars’ who won’t be there in the foreseeable future and our defense will need a few guys to stand up pretty quickly.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more. A lot of people have forgotten how good Marty is.

1 Like

You may be missing a component in that equation, which is the younger players we are developing, and keeping them.

There are none of those on our list. There aren’t any in any of the 18 teams, actually. You cannot be at that level and not go through the gruelling rigors of footy, maintaining your fitness and skill. One of the many many pieces of bullshit that gets trotted out all the time. If these guys were farking lazy - what do you think about those who have the skill but can’t commit to what it takes to reach the pinnacle of the sport?

3 Likes

He was on fox footy earlier this week, not sure if he has a role though.

wtf would they know?

Goddard is on the RSN Breakfast show each Tuesday and I understand he is doing a game per week for one of the media rights holders.

2 Likes

Your passion and intensity and professionallism are missed :frowning:

4 Likes

Standards were always going to drop when this man walked out the door

2 Likes

And we were 2-6 last year when he was there…

Might be 0-8 this year…

1 Like

People still not concerned about our defence or are we cool?

Forwards didn’t defend and that rolled through to the backline and put way too much pressure in defensive 50. Turnovers in bad spots made our defence look worse.

Don’t shield them, they were woeful.

Constantly out of position, it was as though they didn’t know who their matchup was.

1 Like