Forward line

Where's all the panic merchants that were saying our forward line was screwed without Gumb, crammers and froggy ?
Looks like plenty of options to me.

Rattling off a list of midfielders and half backs who could 'have a go' up forward, is hardly putting said panic merchants back in their boxes though, is it?
Our forward line still may be quite screwed.
panic merchant number 1.
Yep, it's gonna take a bit more than 'hardy can't kick, but he might learn,' and 'I've always thought Goddard would make a great forward,' to convince me we have a forward line capable of challenging for a flag.
If that's panicking... Then merchant me up

we have plenty of more options than Goddard and Hardy, those guys are just people thinking out loud.

our best forward line will raise hell next season.

sit tight be confident.......(have been waiting to use that for a while ;) )

HF Kommer Hurley Winderlich

FF Chappy Daniher Bellchambers

Plenty of others to rotate through.

If the keys stay healthy it's fine.

I reckon Hurley will end up spending plenty of time in the forward line next year. Don't have much choice really

Reckon Myers will spend time on the HFF 2014.

Just put him on a wing, he'll slot them from there.

I think our forward line next year could prove to be so unconventional it will work. 

They are going to need to get a lot of games and goals out of Daniher. In Nick Riewoldt's first season he played 6 games, averaging 4 marks per game. In the following season he played 22, averaging 8 marks per game. Hopefully Daniher can have a breakout season in his second year like Riewoldt did.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Riewoldt spend the majority of his 2nd season (his rising star year) in defence? Much easier for a young tall to play defence than forward. Really just shows how good this Jeremy Cameron bloke is.

Freo made the GF without a forward line, Should have won the flag too but they ■■■■ themselves,

They are going to need to get a lot of games and goals out of Daniher. In Nick Riewoldt's first season he played 6 games, averaging 4 marks per game. In the following season he played 22, averaging 8 marks per game. Hopefully Daniher can have a breakout season in his second year like Riewoldt did.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Riewoldt spend the majority of his 2nd season (his rising star year) in defence? Much easier for a young tall to play defence than forward. Really just shows how good this Jeremy Cameron bloke is.

That was Kosi I think.

We'll need Hurley to play up forward in 2014 because Crameri left.

With Fletcher, Hooker and Carlisle, Dempsey, Hibberd we already have a great defensive unit. Hurley could be played down back when needed, however he is known to kick 3-6 goals up forward when in form. Depends on his injury situation and pre-season.

Bellchambers seems to be the Allessio role. Ruckman and a handy forward, very handy player. Ryder similarly.

Chapman is a great pickup. Will be handy as a forward.

We should be o.k. as long as we can find goals from a spread of 5-10 players. Taking the pressure off of Daniher. You want Daniher to be relaxed with support from more senior players up forward.

Rumour today is that Jolly is in talks with us. So that would be handy having him up forward as a tall marking option.

Would you say Hawthorn had the best forward line. I think they did. Lots of different dynamics.

Gunston Roughhead Buddy Breust Hale Puopolo Rioli

Gunston and Buddy gave a leading targets, and were also very good at pushing their forwards under the footy and getting the footy out the back. Buddy played predominately high half forward last year though.

Roughead is a leading target but also a pack breaker.

Hale also but can take the high ball clunk.

Breust gets into the gaps

Rioli is x factor

Puopolo is the defensive forward

Hurls plays Rougheads role but isn't quite at Rougheads level yet.

Daniher's type is some cross between Buddy and Gunston. I think Gunston can be beaten now he will get the better defender and players will chop in front of him more.

Bell and Ryder are as good or better than Hale. Ryder particularly gives more dynamics. He could be a Gunston really.

Kommer about level with Puopolo

Chapman plays Breusts role and is better but obviously we need to manage him well.

Hardy could create a different dynamic with his freakish aerial ability but he also offers defensive pressure and physicality eg say a Rooke.

Garlett has been able to operate at AFL despite being built like a twig. I wonder whether Fantasia could possibly still impact a match?

Goddard zipping around the 40-50 metre arc gaps and pockets could create goals where you otherwise wouldn't get goals.

To me its about creating headaches for the opposition through dynamics. I think we have some ingredients to work with.

He doesn't need to be that close to goal to kick 'em though

Would you say Hawthorn had the best forward line. I think they did. Lots of different dynamics.

Gunston and Buddy gave a leading targets, and were also very good at pushing their forwards under the footy and getting the footy out the back. Buddy played predominately high half forward last year though.

Rioli is x factor

Daniher's type is some cross between Buddy and Gunston. I think Gunston can be beaten now he will get the better defender and players will chop in front of him more.

Bell and Ryder are as good or better than Hale. Ryder particularly gives more dynamics. He could be a Gunston really.

Chapman plays Breusts role and is better but obviously we need to manage him well.

Hardy could create a different dynamic with his freakish aerial ability but he also offers defensive pressure and physicality eg say a Rooke.

Garlett has been able to operate at AFL despite being built like a twig. I wonder whether Fantasia could possibly still impact a match?

Goddard zipping around the 40-50 metre arc gaps and pockets could create goals where you otherwise wouldn't get goals.

To me its about creating headaches for the opposition through dynamics. I think we have some ingredients to work with.

Buddy and Roughead are both 65+ goal a season forwards.

Gunstan has just come off a 45 goal season.  Breust kicked 40 and Rioli is one of the top 5 small forwards in the comp.

We don't even compare.

I think one of Carlisle and Hurley would need to play forward with JD and at times a resting ruckman.
Winderlich and Chapman as permanant smalls with midfielders rotating through.
Would like to see Watson and Goddard spend a bit of time forward. Both are dangerous going forward and hard to match up.

My sediments also, l expect to see Watson and Goddard going forward often. They won't kick big bags of goals, but they don't need, they just need to be steady contributors. l believe we will also see more goals come from Kommer. 

Rioli is x factor

Throw in Winderlich, Zaharakis, Myers rotating through, Melk pushing up from the midfield...at least initially there are some nice options there.

Winderlich Ryder Chapman

Merrett Daniher Kommer

When Bellchambers needs a rest, Daniher moves up and plays as a lead up CHF and Bellchambers sits out of the goal square.

Winderlich Ryder Chapman

Merrett Daniher Kommer

When Bellchambers needs a rest, Daniher moves up and plays as a lead up CHF and Bellchambers sits out of the goal square.

Assuming I've read that correctly, I'd be happier for Winder and Chapman to be the pockets and not the flanks. Winder, in particular, has shown he can be a leading full-forward type, which will take pressure off Daniher.

EDIT: and as below, Hurley's not a horrible decoy forward either.

Winderlich Ryder Chapman
Merrett Daniher Kommer

So based on that, what does your back six look like? Who out of Hooker and Fletcher misses out, if both Hurley and carlisle play back?

Fix the inside 50 delivery and fix most of our problems.
JD might be able to make good mindless balls deep into our forward line hopefully in a few seasons time (much like Lloyd) but if we continue to do so in the next few seasons then we will fall short again.

If Hurley plays back (as Thompson has indicated), Carlisle will play forward. Whether this is robbing Peter to pay Paul, i'm unsure. Both players have tools at either end of the ground.
As much as I like Hooker, i'm not sold on him taking the #1 fwd each week. As a player matching up on the secondary fwd/resting ruck, he's very damaging dropping off to take intercept marks etc. Carlisle/Hurley are better suited taking the Franklins/Clokes/Camerons of the league. 

I think, or maybe I hope, that they will go with more 2 kpf forwardline.

Think Daniher providing he is fit enough and form warrants it should start as our FF. Throw the kid in and see what he can do. If it isn't working down the track re evaluate.

Belly should be CHF for the simply fact he is bigge stronger and suits the long bomb/contested marking style game they revert to.

Hurley should become the 3rd tall forward option. Yes I know one could argue, well if he's down there he'll get the best defender. but if he spends more time up on the wings, and both Daniher and Belly play deeper, then it's a two fold win in that those other 2 players get a lesser defender, and we have in theory more often than not, a less damaging defender up the ground, who on % won't hurt us as much (obviously there's rare cases that will, and you react accordingly)

I hope they do that, and go with a smaller forwardline, seeing most of our game is about getting numbers to the ball, and running back towards goal on the counter attack.

Winder, Chappy Merrett and Kommer as the starting smaller forwards would IMO be very dangerous, esp once the ball hits the ground. Hopefully one or two of them could give small chop outs to the midfield rotation to boot.

Given the right tactics and delivery  ( which is obviously the biggest questions marks)  we should be fine for scoring goals.