Fox Footy Top 5 dirtiest Essendon players of all time

Dirty, nah just naughty

Brereton loves Essendon too.

2 Likes

Brereton knows that without Essendon he’s nothing. It’d be like the Joker without Batman.

12 Likes

One of the low-key dirtiest, as in one that most people might not readily bring up, was Peter Somerville. He knew when to throw out an errant elbow. In the ‘93 GF he fixes up Diesel Williams very nicely behind play, the camera pans just as he whacks him.

10 Likes

Steve Alessio stepped on I think it was John Plattens head one day.

Stepped on Baker at St Kilda too iirc.

Sneaky dirty old Ses

6 Likes

Fox footy are scraping the bottom of the barrel with this one.

7 Likes

Seventies for our worst thugs…Steve Beaumont, Jack Mihocek, Tuddy, Rotten Ronnie

9 Likes

Cameron Clayton

7 Likes

Ron Andrews and Billy Duckworth were my two favourites.

8 Likes

Dean Wallis and Paul Barnard for mine

Special mention to MJ and Solly

3 Likes

I loved Billy too, but Hawthorn & FC supporters hated his guts. He was a kicker & used to drop the knees late into opponents falling onto the ground.
Two separate FC games, one at the G, one at Princes Park. The one at the G, Salmon runs into an open goal & Jon Dorotich shoves him over the line late. Billy is in his face the whole way heading back to the centre, & as he gets around CHF, kicks Dorotich fair & square in the side of the ankle - Ouch!
The other game at PP, Billy is playing on Ken Hunter, who is playing FF. Hunter kicks 3 goals on Billy in the 1st Qtr, but each time he marks on the lead & falls forward, Billy lands on him with both knees in the middle of his back in a sliding motion. By Qtr time KH is limping badly (& I believe was pisssing blood at half time, rumour has it), & Billy runs off him the rest of the game to end up being BOG.

6 Likes

If you want a list of thugs, look no further than channel 7’s group of ‘tough nuts’.

2 Likes

beau waters is the toughest player on that list easily, imo

1 Like

Jack Mihocek and Eddie Lake

2 Likes

Kenny Roberts #4? 70’s

5 Likes

this post makes me happy

3 Likes

Bluey Shelton for toughness

7 Likes

A great captain and tough as nails, TD could hand it out when required.

5 Likes

Dustin Fletcher if his tribunal record is used as a criteria!!!

1 Like

#6. Ronnie was #4

Nifty Nev #1 Robert Newton #2 and #7 Steve Beaumont #3 Rotten Ron #4 Gary Parkes #5 Ken Roberts #6 sundry #7 Tuddy and Jack Mihocek #8 John Cassin #9

Couple of ankle tappers in there…both left-footers… and some out-and-out knuckle merchants

Newton was the only one I never saw do much dirty.

2 Likes

l dispute this. Campbell Brown wasn’t tough, although he was something of a nutter, more of a sniper than anything else. His old man was a deadset thug.

20 Likes