Friday Quiz - Early Australian History

1. What was the name of the massive supercontinent that Australia was once part of? Gondwana (Trevorbix)

2. Archaeological evidence indicates that Aboriginal people lived in the Illawarra for how many years before the arrival of the Europeans? 
  3. Before the arrival of European settlers, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples inhabited most areas of the Australian continent. How many separate languages were spoken at this time? >300 (beastie)

4. What term describes the central belief system of the Australian Aboriginal people? Dream Time (the red and black partisan)
  5. Who had contact with Australian Indigenous peoples for thousands of years before the European expansion into the eastern hemisphere, and formed substantial relationships with communities in northern Australia?

6. Early contact in the 15th and 16th century with Australian Aboriginal people was made by which people from Melanesia?

7. In 1606, which explorer sailed through the strait that separates Australia and Papua New Guinea? Luis Vaez de Torres (simmo41)
  8. Who was the captain of the Dutch ship Dwyflken which made the earliest recorded contact between Europeans and Aboriginal people on the western coast of Cape York Peninsula in 1606?
  9. What evidence did Dirk Hartog leave of his crew's landing on an island off the west coast of Australia in 1616? A plate (mitch25)
  10. What was the original name given to Tasmania by Abel Tasman, the Dutch navigator who discovered it in 1642? VAN DIEMENS LAND.(Trevorbix)

11. Which explorer charted the coast of Australia from Cape York to the Ashburton? Abel Tasman  (simmo41)
  12. Why is 26 January 1788 a significant date in Australian history? Landing of First Fleet at Port Jackson  (simmo41)

13. In 1792, when Arthur Phillip returned to England, he took two Aborigines with him. One was Yemmerrawanie. Who was the other? Bennelong (redbull)

question one, now we are talking. 

Our most recent one was Gondwana, where we split from Antarctica 34 million years ago. We have also been part of Kenorland (2700 million years ago) and Nuna (1800 million years ago). 

question 10: 

VAN DIEMENS LAND. 

thanks for choosing my two favourite topics scotty. 

1. Gondwanaland
7. Luis Vaez de Torres
10. Not Van Dieman's Land. It's De-something Island Nope, I've cooked it. De Witt Island is off the coast of Tassie.
11. Abel Tasman 
12. Landing of First Fleet at Port Jackson

4) Dreamtime.

5. Japanese?

9. A plate.

Thank you primary school!

1. 40000 years? Or has that since been revised?

2. 40000 years? Or has that since been revised?

Mungo Lady is meant to be ~40K years old, is that near Illawarra?

Our most recent one was Gondwana, where we split from Antarctica 34 million years ago. We have also been part of Kenorland (2700 million years ago) and Nuna (1800 million years ago). 

Is Pangaea still a thing, or is my paleogeography hopelessly out of date (not unlikely, since I learnt it all from 70s-era dinosaur books...)

1.I think Mungo man lived closer to 60k years ago

3.>300

4.The Dreaming

Answers updated.

5. The chinese?

Is Pangaea still a thing, or is my paleogeography hopelessly out of date (not unlikely, since I learnt it all from 70s-era dinosaur books...)

It is a thing, Gondwana and Laurasia (North america and eurasia) combined to make Pangea about 750 million years ago? and about 180 million years ago they broke up, but Gondwana stayed together. 

1. Bennelong
  1. Willem Jansz?

Although to think he was in the 1400s. 1494 rings a bell. If it is 1606 it would make sense that Torres is the answer.

Are these quizzes a regular Friday event? Looks like a good place to use some of my otherwise useless information stored in my brain.

5. Papua New Guinea

I think number 10 question and answer needs reworking.

Darren Bewick is clearly aboriginal.

5. Indonesia

8 (Geoff) Janszoon

Did a cooking show.