Friday Quiz - Early Australian History

5. Indonesia

According to the Chinese, it's the Chinese.

I know it‘s relatively recent history, but not enough questions about the de Rays Expedition.

(I may be biased; it‘s why I‘m one-quarter-Italian and demonstrates our leaders were once willing to rescue refugees. Thanks, Sir Henry Parkes.)

8. Willem Jansz?
Although to think he was in the 1400s. 1494 rings a bell. If it is 1606 it would make sense that Torres is the answer.

Wasn't his name "Willem Janszoon" ?  Janszoon's boat was the Duyfken, I think.

1. Macassans

5. The Chinese.

5.  I am going to go with Papuans.  I think the Macassans only started coming around the 15th-16th century.

6. Fits the Macassan time frame but I don't think they would be considered Melanesian...?

New Guinea was connected by a land bridge for a fair while, although it could be south east Asians as he hasn't said its correct, and isn't that where dingoes come from?

8. Dirk Hartog?

New Guinea was connected by a land bridge for a fair while, although it could be south east Asians as he hasn't said its correct, and isn't that where dingoes come from?

I thought dingoes came in as semi-domesticated animals with the aborigines?

10 is not correct - technically it was named Anthony van Dieman's Land which was later shortened.

Question five is interesting. There is a theory that African trade may have been happening as early as 2000BC, based on imported spices to pharaonic egypt and iirc an ancient coin from east africa was found in the top end a decade or so ago. but i think both are far from proven.

I thought dingoes came in as semi-domesticated animals with the aborigines?

Dingoes came about 5000 years ago.

Question five is interesting. There is a theory that African trade may have been happening as early as 2000BC, based on imported spices to pharaonic egypt and iirc an ancient coin from east africa was found in the top end a decade or so ago. but i think both are far from proven.

They think that was most likely a 2 or 3 stage process. They know Africans were trading with Indians and vice versa. They know Indians were trading with SE asia. They know SE Asia was trading with PNG and top end.

Most likely, not definitive.