Friday Quiz - World War II

1. Which country did Stalin‘s Soviet Union invade on 17 September 1939? Poland (Rossoneri)

2. The most prolific sniper of the Second World War, with more than 500 ‘kills‘, came from which country? Finland (polydeukes)

3. During the Dunkirk Evacuation in 1940, the French village of L'Epinette was the scene of the only Second World War combat death caused by a particular weapon. What was it? Long Bow (you shall be smoten)

4. The German bombing of Coventry in November 1940 was one of the most seminal moments in Britain‘s war. But how many were killed during the raid (will round to the closet 100)?

5. The Waffen-SS divisions numbered 13, 21 and 23 were predominantly comprised of…? Non Germans- Bosnians and Albanians (slowstu and simmo41)

6. Which US general vowed “I shall return” after he and his forces were driven out of the Philippines by the victorious Japanese in 1942? General McArthur  (slowstu)

7. Which French port witnessed an Allied amphibious raid by a largely Canadian force in August 1942? Dieppe (slowstu)

8. Which was the only one of Germany‘s capital surface ships to survive the war intact?  Prinz Eugen (swoodley)

9. Which charismatic British military commander of the Second World War ate raw onions, wandered about naked and was one of the fathers of guerrilla warfare? Wingate (swoodley)

10. The official Japanese surrender, on 2 September 1945, took place aboard which US battleship, moored in Tokyo Bay? USS Missouri (Bargey)

10. USS Missouri

1. Finland
  2. Soviet Union
  3. Bow and arrow?

1. Finland
2. Soviet Union
3. Bow and arrow?

No 

No

Close Enough

1 poland?

6. General Mac Arthur

5. made up of non germans, from memory some dutch, albanians and even russians maybe

7. Dieppe (sp?) was a spectacular clusterf%&k

I'll stop there

Gonna guess 4 is zero

6 MacArthur

1 is Poland

All correct answer updated in the OP

8 DAS BOOT

5. made up of non germans, from memory some dutch, albanians and even russians maybe

OH OH OH OH I KNOW THIS ONE

They were Bosnian and Albanian. They were all stumped together because HQ thought the Muslims were a bit coco-bananas. Learned that in Sarajevo couple of months back.

Thanks Slowstu for jogging my memory.

2. A Fin?

All answers updated

OH OH OH OH I KNOW THIS ONE

They were Bosnian and Albanian. They were all stumped together because HQ thought the Muslims were a bit coco-bananas. Learned that in Sarajevo couple of months back.

Thanks Slowstu for jogging my memory.

You can have half a point each for that

No 9 sounds like a Boss.

9. Orde Wingate?

9. Orde Wingate?

Yep, that's the guy.

8. Prinz Eugen