Full club review

DELETE POST

I’m not for a full review but with the list being ■■■■, we should be overhauling our recruitment and player development areas in addition to movements within the coaching department.

So in saying all these key areas are flawed then one must look at the CEO & board to question how such crucial areas of a football club are ■■■■■■

2 Likes

I don’t know how anyone could. Our CEO & president are Fkg ghosts & seem thrilled to bits about where we’re at.

6 Likes

They will come out and tell us about the hugh profit they have made. End of story .They would now be preparing the catch frazers to get us all excited about next year and how big it’s gonna be .Roll up Roll up renew your membership .That’s what it’s all about .Sad to say.

1 Like

The problem with reviews is if they are not independent then the Board is just being paid lip service. If it was independent then it is likely to sit on a shelf somewhere especially if it finds critical errors in governance, management and footy department that reflect badly on the incumbents.

Our footy and fitness/medical departments are mediocre. They get naive 18 year olds who have been playing bruise free footy in the U/18s and expect them to be able play senior footy straight away. They are able to run free and have time to dispose of the ball well. But in senior footy every action is under intense pressure. The coaches job is to train and educate them how to express their skills under pressure and develop strategies to facilitate that in a team environment. And all the other life skills required to be an elite athlete. That comes from the coaches.

Change is required from the top down, otherwise we will just get more of the same - 12 wins/season for the last 3 years under Worsfold. Dodoro continues to recruit flankers and midgets. The fitness and medical staff continue to mismanage the health of the players.

The supporters, all 83,000 of them, need to believe that our next flag is close. Anybody who believes that the current Board and administration of our club can provide this is delusional. The club constitution makes it difficult to replace the majority of the Board at one election. However, a rival ticket, of prominent individuals just might be able to topple Lindsay and his mates.

The current Board, voted out by the vast majority of members, would certainly be a step in the right direction. Band-aids won’t stop the bleeding.

11 Likes

To be fair though, that’s because they don’t actually give a ■■■■ about football.

They’re concerned with ‘infrastructure’ and commercial partnerships and chairman’s functions and presidents lunches.

And is it any wonder?

After every year of on-field failure, 10,000 new members sign up and line the coffers to fund more bullshit that won’t make us a winning football team.

Xavier will be out the door in a year or 2 anyway and Tanner won’t be far behind.

Bookmark it.

2 Likes

Does anyone know if we can bring a motion at the AGM for such a review to be done, and for a public version to be released to members? Usually with AGM’s if you put in a motion early enough it has to be accepted, although there can be a minimum number of signatures required for it to be put on the agenda.

Surely we have enough Blitz members to get a motion up?

The sooner the better.

3 Likes

Um, that’s not much of a call. In a couple of years Xavier will have been in the job for 6 or so years, it would be pretty typical for someone to change jobs. Tanner would have been in the job 5 years? two years from now. So a similar story.

Any review has to start at the top and work down. If you start the review at the football department level you are wasting your time and money. The Board has to be accountable and from where I sit they don’t answer to anyone.

3 Likes

Board’s never answer to anyone except the members/shareholders. That’s the nature of them.

While we are not necessarily in a crisis, we are in a place we don’t want to be.

Therefore, how the club responds over the next few days to last night’s result and the season overall is going to be important. And by club I see that as the Campbell, Worsfold and Richardson.

No one is going to be happy with that result. That’s a given and is not the issue.

What supporters want is an honest assessment of the key issues that need to be addressed and how they will be addressed. No spin or feel good stuff.

1 Like

I dont think Caracella or Rutten would have any problem in voicing their thoughts in whats wrong and IMO are well qualified…

Rutten as a player and later a development coach at Richmond. And Caracella was at Brisbane under Lethal then went coaching at Geelong and Richmond exactly at that time.

The jobs well under way. Both would walk in at lots of other clubs.

I ak incredibly comfortable with our off field direction. And the club has show great capacity on moving on guys when its not working.

1 Like

I think we have recruited sensationally given the circumstances.

Lets do a look at some of the cattle brought in.

Redman
Francis
McGrath
Saad
Shiel
Smith
Stringer.
Development of Walla, Gleeson, Guelfi…

Really really good crop if you ask me.

Personally i think we have done a sensational job. Our senior boys didnt show up last night. I suspect they were both broken and perhaps some need to hang up the boots. Myers was one who did it himself🙌. Maybe there are others…

3 Likes

I’m not even particularly angry about last night or the season as whole. The overwhelming feeling is one of depression. I’m sad and fed up.

The final outcome for the year has been clear since jlt1. Despite a brief moment where some luck fell our way and the team teased the prospect of something positive it really had a great sense of inevitability about it all.

It feels like we’ve made little to no progress in 10 years. We get to this time of year and recite the same tired lists of problems:

• poor on field organisation
  • poor decision making
  • poor skills under pressure
  • poor fitness
  • poor injury management
  • poor development
  • questionable drafting practices
  • lack of strength in the contest
  • lack of consistency in and between games
  • refusal to promote young players over ageing or injured senior players

Exactly how long do they think we can put up with this before we check out and it hits the bottom line.

I very much doubt there will be an injection of hope and positivety in trade week this year and come draft day disco will get to burn his second round picks on players with upside.

We accept and hold on to mediocre people at all levels of the club. Nothing will change until that does

33 Likes

Never going to happen. Our club is too conservative, our board is too conservative, and our members are too conservative. About the only time a board member gets voted out is when a past player decides he wants to get into that position.

They answer to Gil, or at least they do what HQ wants done.

2 Likes

A review isn’t the solution. We as supporters (and I am sure the club) knows where the problems are. The review isn’t going to be what we need.

The problem is a matter of implementation, execution and continuous improvement.

Sorry, but this is clearly rubbish. Blitz disagrees all over the place on what the issues are, and even in areas we agree (such as hitting targets), that is often going to be the symptom and may not be the cause (is the cause the coaching plan, mindset, drafting, development, fitness?). The reality is you can’t know this stuff unless you’re both an expert, and in close.

3 Likes

I’d rather give Worsfold a 10 year contract extension. I can’t bare to listen to him

3 Likes