Game Day Thread - Pre Season Rd 1 - A New Hope

So here we are. The first match day of 2017 (intra club excluded). It’s 4 years and one week since the “blackest day in sport” became a phrase that we all learned to hate.

For me it’s a time to reflect, but also a time to look forward.

Reflecting on the last 4 years is difficult. I’m sure it has changed every one of us in some way, even if we haven’t recognised it happening at the time. I’ve drifted away from friends who were too painful to be around (yeah, mainly hawthorn supporters), my closest relationships have become strained (to say the least). My trust in the media and numerous institutions has been severely eroded, and my love of the game has sometimes faltered.

But things haven’t all been bad, my eldest child, who started high school this month, has developed a love of the Dons even through this mess (and even with her Grandma pushing St Kilda!). I’ve made new friends who matter to me a lot, and have learned which of my old friends understand. I’ve learnt to not listen to the commentary or read the comments.

And the Dons have survived and grown, and those who are still with us are stronger than ever.

This is match day thread number 1 for 2017, and in each of them there is going to be all sorts of rubbish, but we are here, and hopefully we have 28 of them to look forward to this year.

It’s going to be a special year. And it starts now. Thanks to blitz for the last 4 years. And come on Essendon, let’s smash them all in 2017.

Spot on Frosty. Huge range of emotions today- can only imagine what the boys must be feeling.

GO BOMBERS!

Near made me cry at 8 o’clock in the ■■■■■■ morning … I’m working with people here!!!

Seriously well put Frosty, kudos.

Here we fkn go!

I turned 40 yesterday. I suppose with that you always do plenty of reflecting, but you also think a lot about new beginnings, new chapters, and looking towards your future much more than you did before. I think I’ve begun to feel a new sense of urgency with a lot of things in my life.

Here’s to an Essendon rebirth.

CARN THE BOMBERS!

Can’t wait to see the boys run out and today and hopefully give the pies a hiding.

https://media.giphy.com/media/YPIrsRqqO7oB2/giphy.gif

I think we are destined to do this forever

I was very much a victim of the saga and will freely admit i have given zero f**ks abour footy for a long time. First time in years that i am even alittle excited to sit down and watch some footy.

Mon Dons

I turned 40 yesterday. I suppose with that you always do plenty of reflecting, but you also think a lot about new beginnings, new chapters, and looking towards your future much more than you did before. I think I've begun to feel a new sense of urgency with a lot of things in my life.

Here’s to an Essendon rebirth.

My condolences

: p

Its my boys 4th birthday saturday. It has gone fast. I think after todays game we will see if we finally will have some clear air.

Get well hirdy.

Good riddance Mike. Although we cant be sure his replacement will be any better.

FARK YES!!!

Dons by 6 goals easily

Green 2
Tippa 2
Fanta 2

FARK the AFL, FARK the MSM, FARK Carlton and FARK everyone else who is either in the way or not on board.

I am sooooo looking forward to this.

The on field comeback story starts tonight.

Finally free of wondering if that invisible anchor that was the saga, had a part to play in our on field performance.

Finally the players can fall back in love with the game they have played since little boys.

Finally.

I still watched footy over the last 4 years but gee wiz it was hard. I didnt have the same passion. I looked to my other sporting interests and became more fanatical with them. I became a Storm member.

So yes it was probably the worst 4 years as a supporter but I watched every single game in that time and even went to a number of VFL games. Now we can start to enjoy this great game again. We lose its not because of excuses, We win its because we are a great club. Bring it on!

... I've drifted away from friends who were too painful to be around (yeah, mainly hawthorn supporters)... My trust in the media and numerous institutions has been severely eroded. ...
Yep same here
I still watched footy over the last 4 years but gee wiz it was hard. I didnt have the same passion. I looked to my other sporting interests and became more fanatical with them. I became a Storm member.

So yes it was probably the worst 4 years as a supporter but I watched every single game in that time and even went to a number of VFL games. Now we can start to enjoy this great game again. We lose its not because of excuses, We win its because we are a great club. Bring it on!

Very much agree with the first paragraph. I watched games but was not invested at all. I become more invested on my other interests mainly football and Melbourne Victory and i hope now all this ■■■■ is done i can be just as fanatical about essendon as i am about the victory just like it was before this ■■■■

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK!!

598 minutes to go…