Game of Thrones TV show mega thread

Not sure what to do with the extra hour on Monday nights.

Have a flog

..and the remaining almost hour?

True Blood?
Huh? What's that? Oh the pasty while emo teens with glitter on their faces? No thanks.
Pasty white emo teens? I must have missed them.

It was a complete stab in the dark on my part. I know absolutely nothing about it/them whatever it is (TV series? A movie? I genuinely have no idea).

watch the Tunnel, it has stannis in it.

A mate loaned me the complete series of The Wire - might have to give that a crack.

Watch Blake's 7. Hard to go wrong there.

A mate loaned me the complete series of The Wire - might have to give that a crack.

Yes.

Watch Blake's 7. Hard to go wrong there.

Well, until the first episode ends, anyway. Then gritty politics gives way to silly-looking cults.

Farken great show

Farken great show

Concur on The Wire, magnificent show, the whole way through. 

The Wire is probably one of the best shows ever made, you won't be disapointed.

The Wire does require a lot of investment to begin with. Season 1 is hard to get through initially, but it is like a good book... you just gotta persist and get into it.

The first series throws you right in the middle, you've got to deal with a gazzilion characters, half that speak in police acronyms, the other half speak in gangster slang, lots of scenes which set the groundwork but to which nothing is overly explained, and the first few episodes move very slowly..... but if you pay attention, keep with it, and rewind the occasional scene on subtitles (haha)... it will pay off in spades by the end of the season. Amazing and deep plot, very fleshed out characters, super realistic, funny, dark, emotional, thought-provoking, very cloudy morals and complexity.  And the best thing is that it's mostly based on real life events and real life characters (and written by a ex-cop/public school teacher and an ex-journalist) so it's actually about something REAL of substance, written by people that have lived it in real life, and who are doing it to convey a message. Unlike something like Breaking Bad, which is completely unrealistic and is written by someone with no real life experience at all in the subject matter, and is written solely to entertain and titillate. 

It took me until about episode 7 of season 1 to start enjoying the show, and I only persisted because everyone told me how amazing it is. Pretty much after that point i loved it, and the following seasons were just unbelievably satisfying.

If there's any criticism I can come up with for the show, is that it hits you with way too much in the first few episodes, making it difficult to follow and causing a lot of people to drop off.  Kinda what makes it so good, because they clearly just didn't give a shiiiite about ratings.

If you get through season 1, it just gets better and better. Season 2, 3 and 4 are all flawless and amazing, and 5 is still pretty awesome for a final season (which always ends up being the weakest in any show).  Season 4 is the best season of anything I've ever watched, period.

To those who have finished it, I'd recommend following on with Generation Kill, a 7-episode mini-series by the same writers as the Wire about the first month of the 2004 Iraq invasion from the US marine perspective. Same style as the Wire and just as good.

Book spoilers

[spoiler] RUMOUR! Lady Stoneheart not to appear in the TV series.

[You're warned of major spoilers from both 'Game of Thrones' season 4 and George R.R. Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire' books.]

Last week‘s ‘Game of Thrones‘ finale, “The Children,” sent many fans into an uproar for the surprising omission of one of the series‘ most shocking moments, the resurrection of a previously deceased character. Many still hold out hope said character might appear in season 5, but what does departed series star Michelle Fairley have to say that turns our hearts to stone?

Those holding out hope that Catelyn Stark could still someday resurrect as Lady Stoneheart may not like what Michelle Fairley has to say about it. Entertainment Weekly interviewed the actress on her ‘24: Live Another Day‘ character (beware the article‘s spoilers for that, as well), in the process questioning what Fairley thought about fan outcry from Lady Stoneheart‘s omission. Fairley avoided most of the commentary, though one exchange casts significant doubt on the return:

There was a lot of online conversation. I heard third-hand that you were basically told that it‘s not likely to ever happen, is that accurate?

Yeah, the character‘s dead. She‘s dead.

Do you have a preference at all — do you think Catelyn‘s arc should end where it ended, or would you be into the resurrection idea?

You respect the writers‘ decision. I knew the arc and that was it. They can‘t stick to the books 100 percent, it‘s impossible, they only have 10 hours per season. They have got to keep it dramatic and exciting and extraneous stuff along the way gets lost in order to maintain the quality of brilliant show.

Previously, ‘Game of Thrones‘ season finale director Alex Graves suggested that the character had largely been omitted for a lack of any significant role in the book, and not wanting to shortchange Michelle Fairley with a meaningless return. Graves admitted that showrunners Dan Weiss and David Benioff might still find space for the character in season 5, though they hadn‘t shared any knowledge with him.

Well, what do you think? Fairley isn‘t the final authority on Lady Stoneheart, but do you think ‘Game of Thrones‘ will find a place for the character in season 5? How would you like to see the books adapted and condensed as we catch up with George R.R. Martin‘s writing?

Read More: 'Game of Thrones' Star Michelle Fairley on Lady Stoneheart | http://screencrush.com/game-of-thrones-season-5-lady-stoneheart-michelle-fairley/?trackback=tsmclip
Follow Us: Facebook
Visit Us At: http://screencrush.com

[/spoiler]

Whoa.

Book spoilers

[spoiler]

Yeah, that's a VERY big change if they make it

But as of the fifth book, their choice is either to cut her out completely or else write a whole bunch of original material for her.  She's appeared in exactly two scenes so far, and been talked about briefly a couple of times.  There's just not enough book-canon material to make a storyline out.  I really really hope they include her cos she's one of the scariest and messiest hanging plotlines still going in the books, but she might have to wait for a while until GRRM has written more - but still, they wouldn't want to wait too long, two or more entire seasons between her 'death' and resurrection might be too long.  And it's far from impossible that she's been written out of GRRMs plans altogether - the showrunners are afaik pretty well-informed about how the plotline is going to plan out over the next couple of books, and they wouldn't be contemplating cutting her completely if she was vital storyline-wise

As is the case for so many things, the real answer is for GRRM to get his **** together and finish book 6, dammit...[/spoiler]

thanks WW, you have convinced me to start it tonight :)

I don't think the above spoiler being true would really affect things much.

The whole character’s existence is a spoiler.

All this conjecture about season 5 just reinforces to me how lousy book 4 and 5 are.... a decent editor could have eliminated so much filler and combined both together for one book.  I'm so lukewarm about book 6 because I just don't care about any of the remaining story arcs anymore. 

Finally caught up with Season 4 yesterday afternoon. l settled in about 4 PM and watched 9 episodes, finished watching it this morning, but l paid a price for my viewing and l don't mean the $3.30 l paid for 3 disc series. No watching it meant l missed out on about 30 pages of the Sorry Saga thread. Small price to pay? A bargain says the Captain.  

Game of Thrones - 80s style intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8oVfIFrpslI

that’s awesome haha