Game Style Changes/tweeks/modifications

It is patently obvious that Freemantle & Port Adelaide had absolutely rubbish games when they played us in 2013 as we defeated them both.

I would imagine that Essendon, who were under intense scrutiny at the time, must have fluked both wins as the way the team has been rubbished in this thread I don't understand how we won a game let alone thirteen for the season. Any chance the last six games is clouding vision of the entire season?

So you're saying we're fine as we are and we don't need to improve anything?

Not at all. Every football club needs to improve every season, indeed every week, but I get the sense that we are perceived as well below these two teams when we defeated them during the home & away season. I believe that we need to acknowledge that we did something right in season 2013 - 2014 is for another discussion!

Fair enough too mate, Agree with what you're saying, Hope we make the right choices over the next 3 months.

I think the"teaching" part needs to step up

Hurley is a great contested player, but really lacks the smarts of WHEN and WHERE to lead to..

The major issue is... who is going to implement any changes?

We don't have a coach. When we do get a coach, do they use their game plan or Hird's? 

What happens if they feel Hurley is better back than forward - then Hird comes back and decides to move him forward again?

There have been some great observations and tactical suggestions in this thread. I hope that whoever the board hires as coach has as good ideas and more importantly is given license to put them in place. I don't want a year of treading water.

What happens if we win the Premiership next year united under the interim coach? It will be hard to give Hirdy his job back then.

What happens if we win the Premiership next year united under the interim coach? It will be hard to give Hirdy his job back then.

Do you honestly believe that will happen?

Shepherding.

We don't get any run out of clearances because no one clears a path for their team mates. Instead we try and handball our way out of/around contests, and other teams are wise to it.

If I was to have an input to the coaches game plan this is what I would recommend these 10 tweaks.

1. We need to double down defensively, both around the stoppages and in space. Our first game against Richmond should be the benchmark.
  2. We need to be more defensive in our setup from centre bounces. Wingers should defensive side unless their man is trying to do the same then we should move to be within a metre expecting to apply pressure and block for our mids as they exit the clearance.
  3. Our mids need to play a more defensive game in general play, to many times this year we ran to close down for the press to early. Our mids need to stay flooding their forward line till our boys are through 40 metre mark. Following the passage up and only pushing inside our F50 to keep the ball in. Mids should hang in space outside the F50 in a defensive structure if the ball is in transition.
  4. Our players need to learn to no call for the handball running so close. They need to spread out more and give space for the runner, handballs less than 5m are useless in general play and should only be to exit heavy traffic.
  5. The HFF need to become even more defensive midfielders, their job is to apply pressure on the centre breaks leaving space for the forwards behind them. They then need flood right back. We do this ok, but at times our HFFs get caught watching instead of either applying pressure or working hard offensively once we have the ball.
  6. Our mids and wingers need to be the defensive cover for our attacking HB lines. I think Dempsey does this really well in only running off when he has coverage of his man from a mid or winger.
  7. Our second ruck should be more resting in the F50 but stay very close to goal. Not venture outside the 30 if possible.
  8. The CHF needs to push right up the ground being the marking option when exiting defence.
  9. Our FP needs to push right up to be at his feet, and apply pressure if the ball becomes in dispute. Then if the CHF takes the grab work hard back to collect the crumbs into the f50 entry.
  10. The FF should be roaming the 30-70 mark and be a leading machine. Crameri does this really well and with him now getting some space and one outs he should be easier. Also he would now get that bail out kick to the ruck man if needed.

Do you honestly believe that will happen?

I honestly believe I would rather we had that problem than not.

Good post. The majority of blitz/football followers have next to no understanding of structure of the game. So this will go almost unnoticed.
There is more interest in slagging individual players than understanding a game plan and structure

Very lofty.So if someone disagrees, they know nothing. Where do you get off slagging the majority?

Simple problem at Essendon - there is NOT ONE smart and dangerous forward on the list - either tall or small.

Joe Daniher may be one but needs a couple of years.

Hurley for all his admirable endeavour and crash and bash gets little scoreboard return. CHB for me.

Crameri - a poor kick at goal, no defensive efforts and always looks injured. 

The small forwards - as potent as a 100 yearold man

Simple problem at Essendon - there is NOT ONE smart and dangerous forward on the list - either tall or small.
Hurley for all his admirable endeavour and crash and bash gets little scoreboard return. CHB for me.

Agree on all points there. Except for Crameri's poor kicking. Goal-kicking accuracy this year is 70%. Significant improvement from last year.

That would be a terrible problem....after the celebrations we could workshop some solutions.

Could be caught between a club legend and a very, very, awesome place.

Our worst tactic this year was having alwyn davey being a target at centre half forward!!!

Dont believe me watch tapes of the games .

Our worst tactic this year was having alwyn davey being a target at centre half forward!!!

Dont believe me watch tapes of the games .

you only noticed that this year?

Agree on all points there. Except for Crameri's poor kicking. Goal-kicking accuracy this year is 70%. Significant improvement from last year.

Yeah, we are really missing Monfries. Always thought he was a dangerous goal sneak... and he has this amazing ability for winning head-high freekicks!!  :P

The one thing Gus is missed for, IMHO, is his work rate to make an option.